Heartland Forum Index
       FAQ      Rules      Search      Paypal Donation      Photo Gallery      Sisters Wiki   
   Register · Profile · Log in to check your private messages · View New Posts · Usergroups · Memberlist · Statistics  
   Follow us on   Twitter    Facebook · Log in  
Something Fast

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

PostPost #1  Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Something Fast Reply with quote Back to top

And another one, probably going to deep into things that never were and never will be Laughing

All of a sudden, when looking at HL's main page with the quote 'Give me something fast' coming up, it occured to me 'something fast' could well be speed, so this would make it yet another song about drugs, and not the love song it always seemed to be to me Surprised Laughing

The rest of the lyrics seem to point somewhat in that direction too, giving them a closer look, or don't they?

My Facebook/My Flickr
EvilBastard
Overbomber

PostPost #2  Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I always took this song to be a dig at the US. He talks about televangelism, hookers in politics, and I took "something fast" to refer to the American obsession with fast food. On the other hand it could be a reference to Rebel Without a Cause:

Jim: You use every other phony excuse. Mom, I, just once, I want to do something right, and I don't want you to run away from me again. Dad?

Jim's father: This is all going too fast for me.

Jim: You better give me something. You better give me something fast.

Perhaps this is Our fearless leader!'s take on "What are you rebelling against, Jimmy?" "What have you got?"

It would be really easy to ascribe it as a drugs reference, but I can't shake the feeling that Our fearless leader! tosses in these 'easter eggs' every so often to hammer home his "I'm smarter than you, so you'd better listen up" point. Maybe this is one of those "Let the spiv journalists take the easy meat, but only I and some of my acolytes really know what's going on" moments. Of course, it could be that this is about drugs and he likes to see us scurry like mice to find hidden meanings that are not really there. Go figure.
canon docre
Overbomber

PostPost #3  Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This was my first post on HL ever (God knows why I kept it. Laughing ) It got washed away by The Big Heartland Crash I still think its brilliant: Wink

As Andrew Eldritch lived in Hamburg back then, he frequently observed the whores around where he lived on Reeperbahn. ("red light") They are waiving (hailing") for customers, who are mostly married men ("maries"). In this song, he apparently watches a drug whore, who desperatly tried to get the next customer for her next shot. Well, seeing her pitiful condition, the married men passed quick, but Andrew not. He asked for a handjob ("something fast"), that can be done before she collapses. ("God knows everybody needs a hand"). Logic, isn't it?
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

PostPost #4  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

canon docre wrote:
This was my first post on HL ever (God knows why I kept it. Laughing ) It got washed away by The Big Heartland Crash I still think its brilliant: Wink

As Andrew Eldritch lived in Hamburg back then, he frequently observed the whores around where he lived on Reeperbahn. ("red light") They are waiving (hailing") for customers, who are mostly married men ("maries"). In this song, he apparently watches a drug whore, who desperatly tried to get the next customer for her next shot. Well, seeing her pitiful condition, the married men passed quick, but Andrew not. He asked for a handjob ("something fast"), that can be done before she collapses. ("God knows everybody needs a hand"). Logic, isn't it?

We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy!

Yep....I like it....

Though I thought it was the American way of life....(fast...food....life...etc).
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #5  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

"This is another song about drugs. I thought you might like it"

Von on stage circa 1991.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #6  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Of interest may be to note that in a gig in either -84 or -85 he says to the audience 'you want something fast, don't you?'

And i think the punchline, 'gimme something fast' is at least triple-edged...as in 'gimme speed' (cause i don't care), people wanting 'something fast' for a quick fix instead of something meaningful, and ultimately that sometimes also the singer wants 'something fast', like a handjob, a quick fix instead of anything meaningful.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

PostPost #7  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

canon docre wrote:

What was brilliant? Your post or the song ? Laughing

I like it though, just as I quite like itnAklipse's triple-edged theory, the more explanations a line can carry, the better, IMO

My Facebook/My Flickr
_emma_
Overbomber

PostPost #8  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Obviousman wrote:
the more explanations a line can carry, the better, IMO

I just love the way every thread in this section seems to be doomed to end up back on square one. We are not worthy!
And no, I have nothing interesting to add here apart from the fact that there is this image of a warm rainy night in Hamburg in my head whenever I listen to this song, don't know why.
canon docre
Overbomber

PostPost #9  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

itnAklipse wrote:
Of interest may be to note that in a gig in either -84 or -85 he says to the audience 'you want something fast, don't you?'

This sentence is probably the most used ever onstage commentary in the whole metal/rock - world. Laughing

@obviousman: both. Razz

@Emma: unfortunately the rain in Hamburg is seldom warm. Sad
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

PostPost #10  Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i rather like canon docre's explanation -however i refer yourselves to my earlier post at the bottom of this page here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Heartland Forum Index -> Lyrics All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: