San Francisco

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

Any news or reviews about this one???

I´d really like to know if they played this corrosion,war on drugs other time or if they came back whit the usual set list again
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
tristren
Amphetamine Filth

Well, this just came in to Dominion, it's the only thing I've heard so far:
Am I the only person who is hoping that Andrew and company die a slow and painful death after the s**t I experienced last night at the San Francisco show?

We all know that the Sisters put on a smokey show, but last night was just ludicrous. I was up top in the balcony area and enjoying the sound quite a bit but I payed 45 US dollars, left work two hours early to drive two hours down to SF from the Sac area only to NOT see a show. I'm not kidding when I say that through the vast majority of the show the only thing I could see was the occasional glint of light off of a guitar while barely being able to see either of the guitarists. Eldritch was practically a no show; it really could've been a double up there and no one could've possibly been the wiser. After 4 songs people were already getting up and leaving.

I spoke with one of the ticket checkers at the blacony and he said that in 39 years of working the Warfield and the Filmore he had NEVER seen anything even approaching the amount of smoke put out last night. Even the bar area outside actual auditorium was smoked in so bad that you could barely see 30 feet in front of you at one point.

The s**t part about all of this is that I've been such the "kind accepting Sisters fan." I can accept that Eldo is a lazy and/or arrogant f**king twit and will never release another studio album; he has his demands set and he's going to stick to them. I didn't lose much love for him when he booted Sunshine Blind so many years ago and decided to talk relentless s**t about the scene that filled his pathetic coffers. I was able to understand that it's hard to drum up the cash to make it across the pond and I waited patiently without talking too much s**t. I believe the last time he was here was 98; son of a bitch it's been 8 years. And after 8 years of waiting, too much money on a ticket and a combined 4 hours of driving in one night I got to watch a bunch of colored smoke swirl around a stage.

Unfuckingbelievable and quite the antithesis of "utterly bastard groovy."

I wish I could say that I'll never listen to the Sisters again, but I love the music too much to give it up due to the writer being an asshole.

So that's one opinion I guess.
Badlander
Overbomber

Just another "too much smoke" complaint. Funny thing he doesn't even mention sound quality and overall performance. :innocent:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
tristren
Amphetamine Filth

Badlander wrote: Funny thing he doesn't even mention sound quality and overall performance.
Actually that was my response, but it was pointed out that he does mention it in the ps:
ps - I am so trying to find a way to get a refund or a decent show. And next time the Sisters come through, you can bet your bottom dollar I will bootleg the show and SELL it for any penny I can make off of their sub-par live sound.
See... right there at the end.

I don't think he enjoyed the show myself.

Tony
lachert
Overbomber

I spoke with one of the ticket checkers at the blacony and he said that in 39 years of working the Warfield and the Filmore he had NEVER seen anything even approaching the amount of smoke put out last night. Even the bar area outside actual auditorium was smoked in so bad that you could barely see 30 feet in front of you at one point.
wonderful :P
i hope they leave some smoke for europe :lol:
this american tour is wrong idea, i think.
long live rock'n'roll
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

We want more smoke, it's still not misty over here ;D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
GMC
Road Kill

Anyone else find it funny that -another- guy not liking the smoke also -just happens- to be annoyed at Andy primarily for booting crappy g**h acts off his label and relentlessly making fun of the Goth Bunny Patrol ever since? I mean, let's take bets on whether this guy showed up to the concert in black eyeliner, shall we?

Let's hope that he and all of his becaped friends skip the rest of the tour, so the American press starts calling TSoM a "Rock and Roll band", and they can perhaps finally get the wider audience the Bunnies have cut them off from in the states ever since Floodland.
Flowers on the Razor Wire.
lachert
Overbomber

i wonder what he felt when he was leaving cinema after "john carpenter's the fog"? :lol: "give me back my money, right now!" :wink: :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
disillusionment
Road Kill

There was QUITE a bit of fog at the Warfield. This was my first live show, and it was expected, so I was not at all disappointed with it. The light show was quite fantastic.

The sound on the other hand was something else. During several of the songs the sound dropped out, and during either TOL or Vision Thing it dopped out to complete silence for a second or two.

Over all the instrumental quality was very good, but I couldn't understand most of the lyrics. Is it common for Andrew to mumble and wail, and
otherwise sing incoherently?

Also, I took a bunch of pictures.
Booslham
Road Kill

No, no.. lachert
This American tour was a brilliant idea and you have to agree when i say that 99% of us who went and saw the shows loved it and the experience and the resonance and the magnetism of the whole event still rings loud in our ears.
American Sisters' fans are devoted fans. Let us not let the 1% (there is always a black sheep in a family) ruin the whole things.
No tour is flawless, and No audience is perfect.
This guy from San Fransisco regrets paying $45. That's fine. He should not have been there and it is doing Andy no harm. Neither should it be doing us.
This Tour was Brilliant. We enjoyed Andrew's presence on our soil and he's always welcome. I promise to attend 4 shows whenver he comes here again...
So back to the positivity....... Setlists, and audio anyone??????
Ignore the whiny babies
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

@lachert: maybe he liked the remake better :F

@disillusionment: thanks for the pix!
we've got beer and we've got fuel
czuczu
Overbomber

disillusionment wrote:There was QUITE a bit of fog at the Warfield. Is it common for Andrew to mumble and wail, and otherwise sing incoherently?
err, yes!
Nice pics - I wouldn't say that's too much smoke. :von:
lachert
Overbomber

ok. 99%? i don't count but i think there was more similar opinion like this one.
anyhow, i always thought that sisters music is for intelligent people (maybe i'm exception) :wink: with imagination, whos always been in minority as i remember :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
magicmonkeyman
Road Kill

don't you just hate it when people sit on the fence and don't really say what they mean...i'm not sure from the review whether or not the show was mediocre or just perhaps a little below par... :innocent:
tristren
Amphetamine Filth

disillusionment wrote: Also, I took a bunch of pictures.
Hey, great pics!

Thanks

ETA: And here is the smoke from Montreal: http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic. ... ht=#222252
Last edited by tristren on 23 Mar 2006, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
moctile
Road Kill

We all know that the Sisters put on a smokey show, but last night was just ludicrous. I was up top in the balcony area and enjoying the sound quite a bit but I payed 45 US dollars, left work two hours early to drive two hours down to SF from the Sac area only to NOT see a show. I'm not kidding when I say that through the vast majority of the show the only thing I could see was the occasional glint of light off of a guitar while barely being able to see either of the guitarists. Eldritch was practically a no show; it really could've been a double up there and no one could've possibly been the wiser. After 4 songs people were already getting up and leaving.
Absolutely right. I don't blame this guy for being annoyed. For the first half of the show the band was almost literally invisible. I can confirm that he's not exaggerating. It's true that even the areas outside the performance hall, such as the bar area were filled with smoke.

On the other hand, when I looked around at various times throughout the show I could see that a lot of people were really getting into it. So a lot of people were having a good time and enjoying the performance regardless of the insanely excessive amount of smoke.

About half way through the show it cleared up somewhat. I heard that the reason it cleared up was that people complained and the Warfield staff turned on the ventilation system full blast.

Another thing I noticed was that the audio quality sucked. Most of the time just mud, and I could barely hear the guitar parts except for an occasional vague "plinka-plinka".

And Eldritch's vocals were mostly just an indistinct grumbling punctuated every so often by a hair-raising shout. When the guitarist stepped forward to do the backup vocals, I could hear him pretty clearly. That leads me to think the problem was more Eldritch's delivery than the sound system.

Despite all that, my girlfriend and I actually really enjoyed the show. The band rocked out, and later in the show Eldritch seemed to kind of come out of his shell and sing louder. Somehow, despite all the weirdness and problems it wound up being a really good show. I knew going in that Eldritch has a reputation for being a neurotic freaker, so I wasn't terribly surprised to find him mumbling behind a wall of smoke.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

moctile wrote:...Eldritch has a reputation for being a neurotic freaker...

HA!!! Just like his fans (and foes, alike)... :twisted: :wink:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
disillusionment
Road Kill

About half way through the show it cleared up somewhat. I heard that the reason it cleared up was that people complained and the Warfield staff turned on the ventilation system full blast.
They also opened up a few of the emergency exits to air out the lobby. I haven't seen any other pictures yet, but I'm sure the view from the ground floor was much better than the view from the balcony.
Drenchrom
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Give the guy a break, he has cracked a rib after all. He could have quite easily cancelled the last few shows in the states and I believe the tickets are non refundable!
As some on Dominion said, you can find yourself and have a lot of fun inside the smoke, especially if you let yourself go. Hell Eldritch ain't much to look at anyway.
The Sisters can be awful (and they have been A/dam '03) but you can still have a good time, if you're prepared to. :)
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

@ Boolsham - :notworthy: if it wasn't for people like yourself i would forget that the pathetic whinging is actually coming from a minority. it is very easy when faced with the amount of complaints i've heard so far to write off the entire U.S. as really not quite getting it all.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:it is very easy when faced with the amount of complaints i've heard so far to write off the entire U.S. as really not quite getting it all.

Yeah, but kiddo, the U.S. doesn't quite get a LOT of things... I've written it off, and I live here! :evil: :roll: :von:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Badlander
Overbomber

GMC wrote:Anyone else find it funny that -another- guy not liking the smoke also -just happens- to be annoyed at Andy primarily for booting crappy g**h acts off his label and relentlessly making fun of the Goth Bunny Patrol ever since? I mean, let's take bets on whether this guy showed up to the concert in black eyeliner, shall we?
Then he surely got pissed off because with all that smoke, people at the gig didn't get the opportunity to see him and his well worked out hairstyle ?! Goffs, such poseurs... :roll: :lol:
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

in my opinion a lot of people go to sisters gigs thinking that they are going to see wake part 2. and they see that they have changed theyr style. they start to write bad reviews in the net, they expect a gig like in the early days....

so they start to complain about the smoke,the lights..... every one must know that in a sisters show there´re a lot of smoke and if you´re a bit far from the stage or in a balcony you won´t see almost anything....
and about the sound: where can you hear the music better?????

in the dance floor(where the spekers and the desk are) if you´re in the bar, in the balcony or far from the stage you´ll probably hear the music in a really bad way(depend of the venue of course).

for me is always the same: a lot of smoke, new unrealised songs......

eb yourself in the dnace floor near the stage and near of the speakers and you really see THE LIVE EXPERIENCE.....
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
Badlander
Overbomber

dtsom wrote:in my opinion a lot of people go to sisters gigs thinking that they are going to see wake part 2. and they see that they have changed theyr style. they start to write bad reviews in the net, they expect a gig like in the early days....
That's so true. More generally, I get the impression that those who post those bad reviews go to the gig expecting some kind of "ordinary" rock concert. Well technically the Sissies are a rock act, but it's not your everyday band either... So it's a mixture of lack of information, wrong expectations, a bit of nostalgia...
lachert
Overbomber

stupid question :innocent:
are these goth people can write a good reviews? is there such possibility in their nature? they always looks so hard and unhappy for me, so maybe it's normal behaviour? i don't know :roll:
long live rock'n'roll