San Francisco

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
Badlander
Overbomber

lachert wrote:stupid question :innocent:
are these goth people can write a good reviews? is there such possibility in their nature? they always looks so hard and unhappy for me, so maybe it's normal behaviour? i don't know :roll:
You know how it goes... "That was much better back then." It always was better back then... I once met a guy who had seen Skinny Puppy live in 84 (before the first EPs) and 86. He had the guts to tell me that the 84 gig was way better than 86. You know, by that time they had probably already sold out and run out of gas...

How can you argue with such dickheads ?
Oh I know : you can't. :urff:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
benda22
Road Kill

I was at the San Francisco show last night (my 10th Sisters show dating back to 1983.) This was not only the worst Sisters show I've ever seen, but one of the worst shows I've ever seen. Nearly everyone I talked with during and after the show agreed. The sound was apallling, some songs started while Eldritch was talking to the audience, his mike kept cutting out, etc. The guitarist sounded like he picked him up at Guitar Center on the way to the show. Horrendous.
Brad
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Setlist anyone??
cultchild
Road Kill

benda22 wrote:I was at the San Francisco show last night (my 10th Sisters show dating back to 1983.) This was not only the worst Sisters show I've ever seen, but one of the worst shows I've ever seen. Nearly everyone I talked with during and after the show agreed. The sound was apallling, some songs started while Eldritch was talking to the audience, his mike kept cutting out, etc. The guitarist sounded like he picked him up at Guitar Center on the way to the show. Horrendous.

maybe you should go see kelly clarkson when she comes to town
THE LIGHTS ARE DOING SOME STRANGE THINGS TO MY HEAD
DGP00666
Amphetamine Filth

cultchild wrote:
benda22 wrote:I was at the San Francisco show last night (my 10th Sisters show dating back to 1983.) This was not only the worst Sisters show I've ever seen, but one of the worst shows I've ever seen. Nearly everyone I talked with during and after the show agreed. The sound was apallling, some songs started while Eldritch was talking to the audience, his mike kept cutting out, etc. The guitarist sounded like he picked him up at Guitar Center on the way to the show. Horrendous.

maybe you should go see kelly clarkson when she comes to town
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :D :D :D :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: You're awesome.
You are very very bad people and you must be punished
benda22
Road Kill

Since you obviously weren't there, and I am a huge Sisters fan (I have over 30 bootleg cds,) you're opinion means absolutely nothing. BTW, I wouldn't p*ss on Kelly Clarkson if she was on fire (or you for that matter.) Canada has produced some amazing comedians, you aren't one of them.
Ocean Moves

benda22 wrote:Since you obviously weren't there, and I am a huge Sisters fan (I have over 30 bootleg cds,) you're opinion means absolutely nothing. BTW, I wouldn't p*ss on Kelly Clarkson if she was on fire (or you for that matter.) Canada has produced some amazing comedians, you aren't one of them.
Please play nicely people. You might find that people on HL are
currently alittle over sensitive to bad reviews of the Sisters shows
in your corner of the world. I think that's partly because we have
had some astonishingly ill-informed, biased and down right stupid
rants from upset gig goers in regard to the Sisters shows
in the last few weeks,
not to mention those who have decided that after 25 years,
what the Sisters really need is to get a drummer....
I mean, come on guys.

Anyway, ignore it. Your opinion of the show is welcome
and valued here; if you had a s**t time, say so,
and say why. Surely that's what it's all about.
I can certainly remember two Sisters shows I have
been to that were very bad.
logiclust
Road Kill

here's my comment on the show.

first off.. there's never too much fog. god forbid you listen to the music instead of watching rock stars prance about the stage. next time they should play with a curtain infront of the stage. IT'S THE SISTERS OF MERCY!!! WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU EXPECT?

sound issues. I know a production company that recently did a broadcast out of the warfield and they said that the warfield has a TON of electrical problems. first being that their lighting and sound are on the same power grid. this is not a good thing, especially when a band brings massive amounts of lighting. This is most likely the reason for the sound cutting out at points. It's a shame, because it was otherwise a great show. I didn't like the Dr.Jeep/DetonationB montage, and the crowd was a bit too chatty.. greatness otherwise. better than the '98 performance i thought.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Drenchrom wrote:
The Sisters can be awful (and they have been A/dam '03) but you can still have a good time, if you're prepared to. :)
Am I about the only one who liked en enjoyed Amsterdam 2003? :roll:

Setlist Chicago?
"as we walk on the floodland"
logiclust
Road Kill

oh, setlist... um here's what i remember (in no particular order)

romeo down
flood 1 & 2
a very nice revampted FLA
vision thing
lucritia
last half of ToL
short version of burn
alice
giving ground
anaconda
domion/MR
dr jeep/detonation b
that susanne song
summer
another one that sounded like giving ground... (first i've heard it)
something fast
ribbons
top night out

the whole thing wasn't loud enough

i know i'm forgetting something... must have been the vodka. andy wore an FC barcelona shirt
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Ozpat wrote:Setlist Chicago?

Erm...don'tcha mean San Fran? :eek: ;D
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

SINsister wrote:
Ozpat wrote:Setlist Chicago?

Erm...don'tcha mean San Fran? :eek: ;D
:lol: Ofcourse....

Still half (or more) asleep I guess.... 8)
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

logiclust wrote:oh, setlist... um here's what i remember (in no particular order)

romeo down
flood 1 & 2
a very nice revampted FLA
vision thing
lucritia
last half of ToL
short version of burn
alice
giving ground
anaconda
domion/MR
dr jeep/detonation b
that susanne song
summer
another one that sounded like giving ground... (first i've heard it)
something fast
ribbons
top night out

the whole thing wasn't loud enough

i know i'm forgetting something... must have been the vodka. andy wore an FC barcelona shirt
Crash & Burn as well I guess....

Another song that sounds like Giving Ground? :roll:
gilligan
Road Kill

This was a great show - smoke and all. I've been to many shows at the Warfield and I've never seen one like this.

I'd had my eye on the Warfield marque for a few days as I rode the 21 bus down Market St. to work - "Sisters of Mercy".

Long story short - I went to see my man about some greenage, had a drink at the Owl Tree and then walked down to the Warfield to see what the ticket story was. I got one for $30.00 from a scalper, was given a thorough pat-down by they doorwoman (thanks!) and made my way in. Had two drinks and found my seat in the 2nd balcony. I missed the opening act if there was one.

The band came on and the smoke was already so thick I couldn't see anything but vague silouettes on stage. The opening bassline was even thicker than the smoke. I lit up the doobage of greenage and shared it with row C. A little smoke never hurt anyone, apparently.

It was surreal. They sounded fantastic and looked amazing through the fog and lights. The person next to me asked "what's with the smoke?". Trying to see any details of the band was impossible. Just outlines on the stage. I was amazed. If you came to see the band you'd have been disappointed. It was the best show I never saw.

The sound was good and might even been better a little louder. There were a few times when the sound dropped out as though the computer was overloaded, like when you try to play an mp3 on a too-slow PC. It was definitely a digital related problem.

I can't give a set list but I recognized maybe half of the songs. But it didn't really matter because it was all beautiful.
doctoravalanche

Everybody love the Sisters Of Mercy, and maybe the band would be even more lvoed if there was a little bit less smoke. The smoke is for sure a part of the show but it is a pity if it is too excessive as the guys describe it.
Badlander
Overbomber

doctoravalanche wrote:Everybody love the Sisters Of Mercy, and maybe the band would be even more lvoed if there was a little bit less smoke. The smoke is for sure a part of the show but it is a pity if it is too excessive as the guys describe it.
At least now you're aware. Maybe we'll have a slightly clearer view in Paris, since the Zénith is by far the biggest venue they play this year, but we shouldn't be over optimistic either. :von:

I remember the few times I masqueraded as a DJ I just loved dry ice. ;D :roll:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Badlander wrote:I remember the few times I masqueraded as a DJ I just loved dry ice. ;D :roll:
As someone said on Dominion (not that I actually read through all the mails we've seen there today :eek: ):
> I'm not entirely sure what they use as 'fuel' for smoke machines -

Goths, apparently.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Badlander
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:
Badlander wrote:I remember the few times I masqueraded as a DJ I just loved dry ice. ;D :roll:
As someone said on Dominion (not that I actually read through all the mails we've seen there today :eek: ):
> I'm not entirely sure what they use as 'fuel' for smoke machines -

Goths, apparently.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So that is what that smell is !? Fried goffs !? :eek: :twisted:
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

logiclust wrote:
I know a production company that recently did a broadcast out of the warfield and they said that the warfield has a TON of electrical problems. first being that their lighting and sound are on the same power grid. this is not a good thing, especially when a band brings massive amounts of lighting. This is most likely the reason for the sound cutting out at points. It's a shame, because it was otherwise a great show. I didn't like the Dr.Jeep/DetonationB montage, and the crowd was a bit too chatty.. greatness otherwise. better than the '98 performance i thought.

SO THE VENUE HAS TON OF ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS, AND IN DOMINION MAILING LIST I´VE HEARD THAT IT DOESN´T HAVE A GOOD VENTILATION SISTEM AND THEY HAD TO OPEN THE FIRE DOORS.

INTERESTING.

SO THE VENUE IS NOT A GOOD ONE AND THE VENTILATION SISTEM NEITHER....... AND A LOT OF PEOPLE BLAME TO THE SISTERS(THAT THERE MUST BE THE EASYEST WAY)

WILL NOT BE A VENUE´S FAULT??????

OH NO, IT´S BETTER TO BLAME THE SISTERS :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

WHEN VON HAS A RIB BROKEN AND HE COULD HAVE CANCELLED THIS GIG PERFECTLY.

YOU MUST THANK HIM IN MY OPINION
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
Badlander
Overbomber

dtsom wrote: WILL NOT BE A VENUE´S FAULT??????

Well there's no venue discussion forum AFAIK. So you just go to the place where you can sell your dirty s**t and that happens to be HL and/or Dominion, even if it's the venue that's responsible for the poor performance, not the band. It's just easier, see. :urff:
Mickpit
Road Kill

gilligan wrote:This was a great show - smoke and all. I've been to many shows at the Warfield and I've never seen one like this.

I'd had my eye on the Warfield marque for a few days as I rode the 21 bus down Market St. to work - "Sisters of Mercy".

Long story short - I went to see my man about some greenage, had a drink at the Owl Tree and then walked down to the Warfield to see what the ticket story was. I got one for $30.00 from a scalper, was given a thorough pat-down by they doorwoman (thanks!) and made my way in. Had two drinks and found my seat in the 2nd balcony. I missed the opening act if there was one.

The band came on and the smoke was already so thick I couldn't see anything but vague silouettes on stage. The opening bassline was even thicker than the smoke. I lit up the doobage of greenage and shared it with row C. A little smoke never hurt anyone, apparently.

It was surreal. They sounded fantastic and looked amazing through the fog and lights. The person next to me asked "what's with the smoke?". Trying to see any details of the band was impossible. Just outlines on the stage. I was amazed. If you came to see the band you'd have been disappointed. It was the best show I never saw.

The sound was good and might even been better a little louder. There were a few times when the sound dropped out as though the computer was overloaded, like when you try to play an mp3 on a too-slow PC. It was definitely a digital related problem.

I can't give a set list but I recognized maybe half of the songs. But it didn't really matter because it was all beautiful.
Excellent review gilligan, a last minute adventure that sounded great.... with a bonus patdown from the doorwoman......r.e.s.u.l.t - i hope May 2nd goes the same for me
I'm not young enough to know everything
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Ocean Moves wrote:
benda22 wrote:Since you obviously weren't there, and I am a huge Sisters fan (I have over 30 bootleg cds,) you're opinion means absolutely nothing. BTW, I wouldn't p*ss on Kelly Clarkson if she was on fire (or you for that matter.) Canada has produced some amazing comedians, you aren't one of them.
Please play nicely people. You might find that people on HL are
currently alittle over sensitive to bad reviews of the Sisters shows
in your corner of the world. I think that's partly because we have
had some astonishingly ill-informed, biased and down right stupid
rants from upset gig goers in regard to the Sisters shows
in the last few weeks,
not to mention those who have decided that after 25 years,
what the Sisters really need is to get a drummer....
I mean, come on guys.

Anyway, ignore it. Your opinion of the show is welcome
and valued here; if you had a s**t time, say so,
and say why. Surely that's what it's all about.
I can certainly remember two Sisters shows I have
been to that were very bad.
Absolutely bang on. I know it's a US tour, but surely we should at least be paying lip-service to freedom of speech.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

Badlander wrote:
dtsom wrote: WILL NOT BE A VENUE´S FAULT??????

Well there's no venue discussion forum AFAIK. So you just go to the place where you can sell your dirty s**t and that happens to be HL and/or Dominion, even if it's the venue that's responsible for the poor performance, not the band. It's just easier, see. :urff:
IT´S MY OPNION MY FRIEND,ONLY MY OPINION
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
tristren
Amphetamine Filth

dtsom wrote:every one must know that in a sisters show there´re a lot of smoke and if you´re a bit far from the stage or in a balcony you won´t see almost anything....
and about the sound: where can you hear the music better?????
In many venues the best place to hear a show is in the balcony. Often if you are right up front you are behind the PZ, and so you can't hear the vocals. From the back, or in the balcony is also a great place to see the lights.

I was up front for one, and in the balcony for the other of the two I saw. I'm glad I got both experiences.

However the reviews from SF seem to (almost) universally say that the sound was crap. Regardless of whose fault it was (venue/band) it is a valid complaint. In this case it seems to be the venue though.

Tony
cultchild
Road Kill

i wasn't trying to be funny!!!
THE LIGHTS ARE DOING SOME STRANGE THINGS TO MY HEAD