Vancouver - Commodore Ballroom - 26th March

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
Locked
User avatar
TheBoyNextDoor
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 861
Joined: 04 Sep 2004, 13:11
Location: Sweden
Contact:

This gig is now added to the ticket pre-sales.

26 gigs.. where will it end? ;)
Last edited by TheBoyNextDoor on 23 Jan 2006, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Brad
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 660
Joined: 22 Jan 2003, 18:25
Location: Canada

Holy fcuk!!!!
Now let's swing east to Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg!!
User avatar
TheBoyNextDoor
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 861
Joined: 04 Sep 2004, 13:11
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Or maybe a little further east.. to Europe. 8)
User avatar
euphoria
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1107
Joined: 11 Mar 2003, 19:39
Location: Berlin

Have never made such a good guess, although the live page almost screamed out Vancouver the 26th..and commodore seemed like the only appropriate venue.
But now I think the North american leg is finally over, the midwest on the way back wouldn't really pay off, would it? Vanc is apart from that a splendid place to end the tour...and Gibson lives there, doesn't he? :-)

Interesting speculation now is: WHEN is the European tour coming? Surely before summer I think? Because Robochrist is according to himself going to play festivals on his own then...
User avatar
Brad
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 660
Joined: 22 Jan 2003, 18:25
Location: Canada

I would still like to indulge in some wishful thinking.
It is likely Vancouver will be the final gig, but I would still like to see Minneapolis thrown in on the 15th.
User avatar
CellThree
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1721
Joined: 14 Feb 2003, 22:05
Location: 4200 miles from my record collection
Contact:

Damn, I wish I had the money, then I'd pop over a kill a few birds with one stone so to speak.

Vancouver's a second home to me. I miss it a lot.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
User avatar
Doctor E
Road Kill
Posts: 36
Joined: 25 Jan 2006, 10:10

TheBoyNextDoor wrote:This gig is now added to the ticket pre-sales.

26 gigs.. where will it end? ;)
Hi BoyNextDoor:

Can you tell us please where you got the information about the Vancouver gig (March 26). It is not on the Sisters' official web page. Neither is it listed by Ticketmaster.ca.

Many thanks,

Doctor E
User avatar
TheBoyNextDoor
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 861
Joined: 04 Sep 2004, 13:11
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Doctor E wrote: Hi BoyNextDoor:

Can you tell us please where you got the information about the Vancouver gig (March 26). It is not on the Sisters' official web page. Neither is it listed by Ticketmaster.ca.

Many thanks,

Doctor E
It's in the pre-sale section. Login and you'll find it on the third page.
User avatar
Doctor E
Road Kill
Posts: 36
Joined: 25 Jan 2006, 10:10

TheBoyNextDoor wrote: It's in the pre-sale section. Login and you'll find it on the third page.
Kind thanks!

I hope Eldritch's voice will still sound like "a ton of bricks hitting the Himalayas," as a reviewer once put it, by the time the band hits Vancouver.

All the best,
Doctor E
Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?
Willard: I don't see any method at all, sir.
arbee
Road Kill
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Mar 2006, 22:25

Anyone on Heartland attending this show other than me?
User avatar
Doctor E
Road Kill
Posts: 36
Joined: 25 Jan 2006, 10:10

arbee wrote:Anyone on Heartland attending this show other than me?
I am!

A top nite out with Andy, hopefully!
Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?
Willard: I don't see any method at all, sir.
User avatar
daggs
Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 111
Joined: 06 Mar 2006, 18:06
Location: Aldershot :(

you're all probably sleeping it off right now but I hope you guys had a good time last night (well...obviously!). reviews and set list would be interesting :)
"f**k me and marry me young"
User avatar
Doctor E
Road Kill
Posts: 36
Joined: 25 Jan 2006, 10:10

Great venue, good crowd, decent sound, great set list. Unfortunately, Eldritch’s vocal performance was very disappointing. At times, there were glimpses of The Voice, but that was all.
Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?
Willard: I don't see any method at all, sir.
User avatar
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1536
Joined: 09 Jun 2003, 08:12
Location: set adrift
Contact:

i don't mean to p*ss on anybody's parade here, honest, but some people have difficulty in letting the man move at all...if he doesn't give what you specifically go to hear, you'll say it's a botched performance...in this case, you want to hear him sing the way he did in -98 (or whatever) and if he doesn't, well, f**k'im. One can only begin to imagine how gratifying it would be to do the same voc performance year after year in order to please the fans when sometimes you rather feel like growling or hissing or wailing.
This's nothing to do with whether he could or not...doesn't change the thing at all if he couldn't (in the same vein, i rather like Leonard Cohen's voice much better now than when he was young, though he sings quite differently and probably couldn't sing the same way at all anymore, but i've no idea whether fans of his are complaining that he's not really singing these days but rather talking).
Given what little i've heard from this year's tour it's rather silly to complain about his performance...no, it's not the same as it was a few years ago, but it's as brilliant, just in a rather different way.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
User avatar
Doctor E
Road Kill
Posts: 36
Joined: 25 Jan 2006, 10:10

itnAklipse wrote:i don't mean to p*ss on anybody's parade here, honest, but some people have difficulty in letting the man move at all...if he doesn't give what you specifically go to hear, you'll say it's a botched performance...in this case, you want to hear him sing the way he did in -98 (or whatever) and if he doesn't, well, f**k'im. One can only begin to imagine how gratifying it would be to do the same voc performance year after year in order to please the fans when sometimes you rather feel like growling or hissing or wailing.
This's nothing to do with whether he could or not...doesn't change the thing at all if he couldn't (in the same vein, i rather like Leonard Cohen's voice much better now than when he was young, though he sings quite differently and probably couldn't sing the same way at all anymore, but i've no idea whether fans of his are complaining that he's not really singing these days but rather talking).
Given what little i've heard from this year's tour it's rather silly to complain about his performance...no, it's not the same as it was a few years ago, but it's as brilliant, just in a rather different way.
First, were you at the Vancouver gig? Second, don't put words in my mouth.
Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?
Willard: I don't see any method at all, sir.
User avatar
Badlander
Overbomber
Posts: 3562
Joined: 16 Feb 2006, 20:17
Location: My City of Ruins

Doctor E wrote:
itnAklipse wrote:i don't mean to p*ss on anybody's parade here, honest, but some people have difficulty in letting the man move at all...if he doesn't give what you specifically go to hear, you'll say it's a botched performance...in this case, you want to hear him sing the way he did in -98 (or whatever) and if he doesn't, well, f**k'im. One can only begin to imagine how gratifying it would be to do the same voc performance year after year in order to please the fans when sometimes you rather feel like growling or hissing or wailing.
This's nothing to do with whether he could or not...doesn't change the thing at all if he couldn't (in the same vein, i rather like Leonard Cohen's voice much better now than when he was young, though he sings quite differently and probably couldn't sing the same way at all anymore, but i've no idea whether fans of his are complaining that he's not really singing these days but rather talking).
Given what little i've heard from this year's tour it's rather silly to complain about his performance...no, it's not the same as it was a few years ago, but it's as brilliant, just in a rather different way.
First, were you at the Vancouver gig? Second, don't put words in my mouth.
:eek: No need to fight guys. :roll: 8)
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
User avatar
kurtz
Road Kill
Posts: 24
Joined: 19 Aug 2002, 01:00
Location: Planet Fame
Contact:

CellThree wrote:Damn, I wish I had the money, then I'd pop over a kill a few birds with one stone so to speak.

Vancouver's a second home to me. I miss it a lot.
for some reason, i miss it to. but only 'cos i moved away in november SPECIFICALLY because the sisters would never be bothered with such a place. (oh, i suppose there were other reasons too, but they might add to my legend....)

guess i've been proven wrong.

sooooooooooo....

set list, people?

i heard it was a little quiet and the crowd was a little irritating, but that's what you get for a report when you send your two most 'hunter s thompson' friends with heads FULL of chemical narcotics to something like this....

frankly, i'm surprised there wasn't more violence...

anyway, for what it's worth the commodore's a pretty sweet venue, so i don't understand how on earth there could have been sound issues, especially volumewise. when i saw ministry there twice last year my ears were bleeding...
arbee
Road Kill
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Mar 2006, 22:25

I first went to a concert at The Commodore in 1974 to see the New York Dolls and have been to many shows there over the years. However when I entered the Commodore last night I realized that although I still attend concerts, the last time I was in The Commodore was in 1991 to see Tin Machine!! My buddy and I spent at least a half hour reminiscing about all the great shows we had seen there from Kiss to U2 to The Clash....and on and on we went. That place holds a lot of great memories for me, and to finally see The Sisters of Mercy for the first time after being a fan since 1983, in The Commodore, seemed somewhat fitting.

We ended up about 8-10 feet in front of Andrew and had a great view throughout the show. I had no issues with the sound or the smoke and lighting, and despite the fact there were many songs I would have loved to hear, I knew they weren't going to play, I still liked the setlist. Highlights for me were Crash and Burn, Lucretia, Temple of Love, Alice, Vision Thing, Dominion/Mother Russia....I do not have a complete setlist, because despite the fact I have all their albums and most 12" singles, there were a few songs I was not familiar with, which I guess are either newer songs or just unreleased tracks. I see their names on the setlists but do not know which songs are which without finding bootlegs etc. We both thought that Andrew looked great and seemed to be in top form and enjoying himself. The crowd was receptive and appreciative throughout. At the end of the show we both agreed it was a great show and were really glad that we had gone. The only "downer" for me was that I really wish more than ever that I had seen them in the 83-85 period when they were far and away my favorite band.

A complete setlist would be much appreciated.
User avatar
dtsom
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1501
Joined: 09 Sep 2005, 14:11
Location: Madrid (Spain)
Contact:

nice review. thanks...

it´s nice to see that someone ejoyed the show!!!! :notworthy:
2019: Doctor music- Hamburg- Vilar de Mouro-London x2 - Brussels x 2- Stockholm- Gothenburg- Paris
User avatar
Doctor E
Road Kill
Posts: 36
Joined: 25 Jan 2006, 10:10

kurtz wrote:
CellThree wrote:Damn, I wish I had the money, then I'd pop over a kill a few birds with one stone so to speak.

Vancouver's a second home to me. I miss it a lot.
for some reason, i miss it to. but only 'cos i moved away in november SPECIFICALLY because the sisters would never be bothered with such a place. (oh, i suppose there were other reasons too, but they might add to my legend....)

guess i've been proven wrong.

sooooooooooo....

set list, people?

...
Here's the setlist (not in absolutely perfect order)

Crash and Burn
Ribbons
Doctor Jeep
Detonation Boulevard
Will I Dream?
Flood I
Burn
Alice
We Are the Same, Susanne
Summer
Giving Ground
Flood II
Slept
Anaconda
Romeo Down
Dominion/Mother Russia

(Short Break)

Something Fast
Lucretia My Reflection

(Short Break)

Snub Nose
Temple of Love
Vision Thing
Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?
Willard: I don't see any method at all, sir.
cultchild
Road Kill
Posts: 30
Joined: 13 Mar 2006, 23:24
Location: TORONTO,ONTARIO-CANADA

arbee wrote:I first went to a concert at The Commodore in 1974 to see the New York Dolls and have been to many shows there over the years. However when I entered the Commodore last night I realized that although I still attend concerts, the last time I was in The Commodore was in 1991 to see Tin Machine!! My buddy and I spent at least a half hour reminiscing about all the great shows we had seen there from Kiss to U2 to The Clash....and on and on we went. That place holds a lot of great memories for me, and to finally see The Sisters of Mercy for the first time after being a fan since 1983, in The Commodore, seemed somewhat fitting.

We ended up about 8-10 feet in front of Andrew and had a great view throughout the show. I had no issues with the sound or the smoke and lighting, and despite the fact there were many songs I would have loved to hear, I knew they weren't going to play, I still liked the setlist. Highlights for me were Crash and Burn, Lucretia, Temple of Love, Alice, Vision Thing, Dominion/Mother Russia....I do not have a complete setlist, because despite the fact I have all their albums and most 12" singles, there were a few songs I was not familiar with, which I guess are either newer songs or just unreleased tracks. I see their names on the setlists but do not know which songs are which without finding bootlegs etc. We both thought that Andrew looked great and seemed to be in top form and enjoying himself. The crowd was receptive and appreciative throughout. At the end of the show we both agreed it was a great show and were really glad that we had gone. The only "downer" for me was that I really wish more than ever that I had seen them in the 83-85 period when they were far and away my favorite band.

A complete setlist would be much appreciated.


good to see you enjoyed the show and correct me if i'm wrong but it was the sisters first visit to vancouver? .... and welcome to hl....
THE LIGHTS ARE DOING SOME STRANGE THINGS TO MY HEAD
arbee
Road Kill
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Mar 2006, 22:25

I am quite sure it was their first visit to Vancouver. I lived in Toronto from 83-88, and never saw them there, and I am sure they didn't come to Vancouver during that period or since.
User avatar
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock
Posts: 5233
Joined: 22 Apr 2003, 23:51
Location: The North.

Definitely their first gig in Vancouver. Glad you enjoyed it, arbee. Welcome to HL. I have to agree with you about seeing them at their most wild in 83. That'd have been something. Not sure about 85. Gone a bit goth, I'd say. :innocent: Thankfully they are now, truly, a supercharged psychedelic techno rock band. With bells on (quiet ones, sometimes, but bells nonetheless :von: :notworthy: )
User avatar
TheBoyNextDoor
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 861
Joined: 04 Sep 2004, 13:11
Location: Sweden
Contact:

A quite nice review was done by Release Magazine - http://www.releasemagazine.net/ - look under news.

Remember, those guys were at M'era Luna the last year and did a review of the festival, but didn't even see the Sisters, only pointed out that they will never be the same.... blah blah.
Locked