How do you rate the Silver bullet tour ?

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
Ocean Moves
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I've seen the Sisters over the last 15 years.
During that time they've had their on days and their off days,
But there has still been a spark of magic for me, at some point
during each tour. For me, that spark was smaller than it's
ever been, during the 2006 tour. Why? I'm sure numerous
factors are involved. An aging lead singer.
New band members with limited knowledge of the band's back catalogue.
Result? A tiring tour, with Short, unvaried sets.
Venues that havn't seen the Sisters for years.
(and of course, in countries that havn't seen a new
sisters record in years either).

I think they are still a success, but only just.
The concept of the Sisters is looking particularly
lean these days, and things seems to be getting leaner.
Last edited by Ocean Moves on 07 Sep 2006, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
stefan moermans
Slight Overbomber

well :oops: since this was my first sisters concert (and i'm already an old man :twisted: ) and I'll never forgive myself that i missed all the other blody hell concerts in Belgium :cry:

I saw the Brussel I concert and it just blew me away. Later I heard and read that it was absolutely not a good concert : sound & vision you know. But what the hell : I come for the music not for :von: "ugly head" :lol: :lol: I've got both cd of brussels I & II and you could say that the sound on II is sligthly bette but the interaction of the crowd in brussels I on Alice makes this one an absolutely killer and made me start looking for .....you guys :urff: ;D :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

anyway since it's my first I would give it an 8 and on top of this a big big big thank you for the weeds I got from everybody :notworthy:
MUSICA È
pikkrong
Overbomber

I rate the band and the tour very highly :notworthy:
Support bands were OK.
About myself - poor rate - I missed too much events like (for example - Paris) :oops:
do i drive
or am i driven
James Blast
Banned

pikkrong wrote:About myself - poor rate - I missed too much events like (for example - Paris) :oops:
Yes, you AndrewS and Eva really didn't try hard enough.
Now did you? :|

LMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
pikkrong
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:
pikkrong wrote:About myself - poor rate - I missed too much events like (for example - Paris) :oops:

we did.
my rate is 21 Sisters gigs, Eva's 101 and Andrew's (probably) (21+101) x n...
do i drive
or am i driven
eotunun
Overbomber

pikkrong wrote:
James Blast wrote:

we did.
this is a rational number!
..from the point of view of maths...
Yet happy to have met him and Eva and all the others at collogne, I loved the concert, the running joke when waiting in the queue (a girl in font of me, to one of her parrents "I couldn´t see the drummer in all the fog!")
I´ll remember that day.
There is shadow under this red rock
pikkrong
Overbomber

eotunun wrote:
pikkrong wrote:
James Blast wrote:Yes, you AndrewS and Eva really didn't try hard enough.

we did.
this is a rational number!
..from the point of view of maths...
Yet happy to have met him and Eva and all the others at collogne, I loved the concert, the running joke when waiting in the queue (a girl in font of me, to one of her parrents "I couldn´t see the drummer in all the fog!")
I´ll remember that day.
you couldn't see me in Köln (another black whole in my killing zone :oops: ) but I know some good people, living there. do I know you? don't say you're Christian :) if you are, give my regards to R. if you are not, give my regards to Christian :wink:
do i drive
or am i driven
Nada
Road Kill

Forgive me if I go too far... but that May 19th was something really special to me - far too much, to say the least. I don't intend to make a review here, but I think an 11 out of 10 deserves an explanation.
It was my second Sisters gig - both in Brazil (yes, I was one of the few who remembers their 1990, first gig after 85, when Eldritch slapped a towel on Tony James, on stage - and sang "1969" - attending the audience's cry).
But I wasn't the only one: most of the late-thirties/forties who turned up this time had been there too - what gave me somehow a sense of
an old-friends gathering , eventhough I had never seen them before. And all thanks to (mostly) word by mouth, because the media coverage
(what's it, when it comes to TSOM, specially in Brazil???) was almost non-existant (saved a dull "top ten dark people" !!!! - in which Eldritch was the "winner" - on MTV a day before the show - when it was already sold out - and some scattered (and terribly ill-informed!) news on some newspapers' websites, and, of course, the marvellous - but most unexpected - press conference, on an "out-of-the-blue" website).
Against all odds, there were we: 6 thousand "survivors", paying a relatively expensive bill (about U$ 40,00), in a very gang-a-hoo attitude
throughout most of the concert (at least from where I stood, i.e, very in front of Eldritch!). "Crash and burn" took about two minutes of "apprehensive"/wild riffes before it really started. Superb! Ribbons got people electric-wired conneted! Floodland songs were barely audible - so loud was the chorus from the audience - specially in "This corrosion",
which, back in 88, was a "huge" alternative success here. The very last of Eldritch's words, very slowly,very pausedly said, confirmed that all: "This is my favourite place on the planet".
Only that would have been enough for me to rate it 10/10. However,the best was yet to come: in possession of my Leeds United t-shirt, I was granted the chance of talking to Andrew Eldritch. 20 minutes in heaven, talking to a man who is... is there a word for him? My sole thought, while waiting for him, was: "if we got a chance to ask something for God, what should we ask?" Realised you don't ask - God knows questions are for the higher hand... However, you talk...
"For want of a rider the battle was lost."
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Cheers Nada, always interesting to get feedback from all over this wonderful planet...keep posting! :notworthy:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Snakes
Road Kill

Ive never seen them live, and unfortunately it looks like i never will, but as a musician, and someone who follows the techy side of things, any complaints about the sound could (as per usual) be the result of crap venue/p.a.

But if the doktor and backing tracks etc, are still being played via samplers/sequencers, its pretty likely that the whole setup could be revamped and provide a better sound. The only problem is it would be a LOT of time consuming work that would require a LOT of attention to detail.

And as a singer it can be very difficult for all involved if you sing quietly. For example, the sound guy for ac/dc actually has to ride the faders the whole set, just to keep the vocals even. This could also be why the whole band wasnt that loud, as the vocals would need to be the loudest, with everything else adjusted to that.

It also sounds to me like von, while having a great sounding voice, doesnt actually have very good technique, in terms of projection and consistency etc.

But f**k it, what i wouldnt give to see them live!
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

best line-up since mr.marx left.fact.(be better if i was allowed to play bass for them at my 2005 offer-price of expenses and drugs but you can't have everything.)

cool as fook to connect with HLers (previously met and otherwise) over a few dates and add to the unique feel of belonging to that particular family.

awesome to chat to ben and robo-breezers about s**t we dribble on about all the time here and get it from the horses' mouths.

priveliged to hear the first new tune in eons.

seeing the sisters -always works for me.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Badlander
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:best line-up since mr.marx left.fact.(be better if i was allowed to play bass for them at my 2005 offer-price of expenses and drugs but you can't have everything.)
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
You got it just right.

Even if the 90-91 line up was pretty cool too. 8)
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

undoubtedly pretty good vis-a-vis the ol' six-stringers....but listen to almost any boot from the era (there are a few obvious exceptions) and they're playing at a ridiculously compromised tempo. for, i can only presume, the benefit of tony "bandwagon" james.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
czuczu
Overbomber

They were pretty slow and grinding in '92 too, after Judas had left.. And even though they started playing Body Electric a bit more often, even the Doktor doesn't seem able to play the end properly. I can live without a full time bass player as long as one of the others is prepared to strap one on when needs must :)
Scottish One
Road Kill

hello heartlanders! i will say my review short. when i saw sisters play in koln it was very awesome and i am glad my boyfriend made me go, and ben is very cute, thank you!
James Blast
Banned

[quote="Scottish One"]I think you've got the rang place hen :lol: :lol: :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

I haven't posted in this thread and should do as this tour was a very special one. Having seen The Sisters Of Mercy live from 2000 onwards, my first concert being the one in the HMH in Amsterdam which in my humble opinion rocked like it should being the first time I saw them. Then there was Tilburg when I found this place and again they rocked like they should! Then the 2006 tour was announced and I remember seeing how many shows they were going to be giving and I just thought to myself, Von, you are going to kill your voice without the practice that that size of tour brings and if you include the age thingy and just the exhausting time travelling part of the world brings, I was worried. Until I stood at the Paris gig between our lot and the french lot. That night Von proved without a shadow of a doubt that he still has it in him! Well done old man.. :P and that different air to the band with Chris and Ben being in it at the time, the doktor always almost forgotten but always there, it gave the SOM just that something different. They didn't rock as well in Amsterdam IMHO but hey after a Queen's Day, now wonder. But then again the energy on stage was still felt. So all in all, I was at one the best ranking gigs of this tour being Paris in all it's splendour. A very special last party with our beloved belated doc P too but that within itself and of course EXCEPT for that f**king ugly woman's coat, that Von wore, this was a tour of history. I hope they enjoyed making the music as much as more than half of us enjoyed just being there and that experience again.

To all the HL'ers out there that I have met up with at these gigs, it's been absolutely amazing to get to know you all :notworthy: :notworthy:

And those I still would love to meet, until the next tour? :innocent:

MB
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
James Blast
Banned

Debs you're a genius, Hon :kiss: :notworthy: :kiss: :notworthy: :kiss: :notworthy: :kiss:

docP his name lives on, tho' the man has gone...
~ Peter Steele
ormfdmrush
Slight Overbomber

well, i've been only at the one gig and i should say it was vontastic
so 100% of Sisters' gigs i've attended were perfect :lol:
"see you next time" :notworthy:
James Blast
Banned

ormfdmrush wrote:well, i've been only at the one gig and i should say it was vontastic
so 100% of Sisters' gigs i've attended were perfect :lol:
"see you next time" :notworthy:
you are an happy man - mine was 2003 Glasgow, it wasn't very good :| :| :|
~ Peter Steele
_emma_
Overbomber

MadameButterfly wrote:of course EXCEPT for that f**king ugly woman's coat, that Von wore,
:eek: I thought it was one of the cutest garments he's ever worn on stage, and the very reason why I so wished I'd gone to that particular gig. :?
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

@ Mr. Blast ~ Thank you! :kiss: Needed to be said here. :notworthy:
_emma_ wrote:
MadameButterfly wrote:of course EXCEPT for that f**king ugly woman's coat, that Von wore,
:eek: I thought it was one of the cutest garments he's ever worn on stage, and the very reason why I so wished I'd gone to that particular gig. :?
That's just it _emma_, I don't want my rockstars looking cute.
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Michael aka Emilien
Amphetamine Filth

1000000000000000000000000000000/1000000000000000000000000000000
markfiend wrote:I didn't compose it, I don't even remember how good it is.
Michael aka Emilien @ My Opera Community: http://my.opera.com/michael_aka_emilien
Michael aka Emilien @ My Space Community: http://myspace.com/michael_aka_emilien
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

Silver Bullet was good, but I only saw three shows : London (the worst Sisters show I have seen by a long mile), Nottingham (ok, got a new song), and Glasgow (absolutely stellar). No different from an average Sisters tour really, depends which night you catch them.
tricky1963
Road Kill

1982 was 24 years ago. It won't come back. Things move on and evolve.

Just look at the changes between 82 and 85, then 87, then the early 90's lineup. All different, all rocking.

I think the 2006 line up and performances were excellent seen in the wider context of the music scene.

Sisters are as far outside the groove as ever - if people want to see spotty "alternative" Brit pop bands strumming along to arty sh1t then the Sisters aren't a good choice.

I don't care how AE looks, the show is great. If you come out feeling you've enjoyed it then what more can there be in life ?

(although a few releases would be nice).