Heartland Forum Index
       FAQ      Rules      Search      Paypal Donation      Photo Gallery      Sisters Wiki   
   Register · Profile · Log in to check your private messages · View New Posts · Usergroups · Memberlist · Statistics  
   Follow us on   Twitter    Facebook · Log in  
Mish Songs Ref. Sisterhood/Split
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Heartland Forum Index -> Sisters Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed


Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 7181
Location: The Chemist's

PostPost #1  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Mish Songs Ref. Sisterhood/Split Reply with quote Back to top

apart from "wake" and "sleeping dogs..." can someone tell me what other songs (if any) were definitely directly written to/about von after they fell out?

to be honest i find most of hissy's lyrics so wet/flowery/crap that it didn't occur to me at the time that they might have much in the way of content.... however it made me giggle no end on a recent (rare) relisten to imagine just what level of contempt these responses to giving ground/gift may have reached in von's opinion (especially as he had already been gloatingly victorious, before forgiving and forgetting.)

*(lyrics reproduced here would save me having to listen to anything after the second 12" -by Stay with me it was "goodnight vienna" IMO Wierded Out
ta.)
_________________
arseholes bastards fucking cunts and pricks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Silver_Owl
The Don


Joined: 27 Sep 2003
Posts: 7361

PostPost #2  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sleeping Dogs....

Quote:
There's the crime of passion
and the crime of revenge
but the worst crime of all
is the crime of regret
speak of the devil
and the devil may speak of you
why can't we
let sleeping dogs die

Deep, it cuts deep
and the affectionate prose
and heaven only knows
what your words are worth
and the giving birth
to the giving ground of judgment
and by fact of reason you accuse of treason
and claim betrayal to the Holy Ghost
of the sacred past
that's fading fast and forever

You took my hand
and turned it over
why can't we let sleeping dogs die
no devil so dark
as the devil I know
there's no love lost
and no reason why

Talk, of faith you talk
but you were the one intent on stun
you took my glory and pride
sanctity defied
and you never knew
what the gods could bring
and by playing the game
of whose to blame
it gets harder all the time
to put my trust in you
so reverence please
let sleeping dogs die

Let sleeping dogs die
Let sleeping dogs die.

_________________
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed


Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 7181
Location: The Chemist's

PostPost #3  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

sometimes less is more, don't you think?

"you reap what you sow..."

or even better, the two-fingered nah-nah-ner-nah-naah! of

"2"...."5"...."zero"...."zero"...."zero"

i bet hissy wishes he'd (got the cash through having) written that. Twisted Evil
_________________
arseholes bastards fucking cunts and pricks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
markfiend
goriller of form 3b


Joined: 11 Nov 2003
Posts: 19933
Location: st custards

PostPost #4  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I always thought that Hussey's "I still believe in God but God no longer believes in me" was an expression of his feelings towards Our fearless leader!

Laughing
_________________
it is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed


Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 7181
Location: The Chemist's

PostPost #5  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

spot-on mark. Laughing

i had a catholic friend (of the hypocrite variety rather than screwed-up by guilt sort) who got very sniffy that hissy had slighted god's eternal lovewith that intro.. she seemed to forget that as a some-time cross-dressin bisexual drugged-up rock 'n' roll star he'd be going straight to hell anyway. Rolling Eyes Laughing
_________________
arseholes bastards fucking cunts and pricks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber


Joined: 16 Dec 2004
Posts: 1732
Location: Somewhere between Athens and Jerusalem.

PostPost #6  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

markfiend wrote:
I always thought that Hussey's "I still believe in God but God no longer believes in me" was an expression of his feelings towards Our fearless leader!


It is, as is the title of the debut album "God's own Medicine" - i.e. giving Eldritch a taste of his own medicine (the irony being they failed miserably at doing so; I'll take "Gift" over "GOM" anyday. Our fearless leader!).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed


Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 7181
Location: The Chemist's

PostPost #7  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gift -two vinyl copies still intact (one bought on day of release new, and now unplayed as i got a 2nd hand copy for 2) but i've gone through countless taped copies and burnt-out one cd copy from extreme use.

god's own sticky-plaster -gatefold day of release etc....mint. a dozen complete spins at most. they were fine for 2 12"s then hisy disappeared up his own astbury. It wasn't me...
_________________
arseholes bastards fucking cunts and pricks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dark
Underneath the Rock


Joined: 27 Oct 2004
Posts: 6606
Location: On the edge of the mind.

PostPost #8  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
spot-on mark. Laughing

i had a catholic friend (of the hypocrite variety rather than screwed-up by guilt sort) who got very sniffy that hissy had slighted god's eternal lovewith that intro.. she seemed to forget that as a some-time cross-dressin bisexual drugged-up rock 'n' roll star he'd be going straight to hell anyway. Rolling Eyes Laughing


Presumably she was also pissed off at "Jihad" and "Adrenochrome".
_________________
Danse Macabre
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
davedecay
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth


Joined: 23 Feb 2006
Posts: 527
Location: PA, USA

PostPost #9  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

How about Flood I?

Quote:
In a flood of your tears, in sackcloth
And ashes and ashes and secondhand passion
And stolen guitars
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Badlander
Overbomber


Joined: 16 Feb 2006
Posts: 3562
Location: My City of Ruins

PostPost #10  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

davedecay wrote:
How about Flood I?

Quote:
In a flood of your tears, in sackcloth
And ashes and ashes and secondhand passion
And stolen guitars


Not convinced. "Stolen guitars" probably refers to


_________________
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
markfiend
goriller of form 3b


Joined: 11 Nov 2003
Posts: 19933
Location: st custards

PostPost #11  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hasn't Our fearless leader! explicitly said that "stolen guitars" is a dig at Wayne? Not that I'm ruling out the possibility that it's also a Bowie reference...
_________________
it is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jay
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth


Joined: 02 Nov 2003
Posts: 485
Location: Liverpool

PostPost #12  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

markfiend wrote:
Hasn't Our fearless leader! explicitly said that "stolen guitars" is a dig at Wayne? Not that I'm ruling out the possibility that it's also a Bowie reference...


Thought it was a Sex Pistols/Bowie reference
_________________
I no longer get very wrought up over the liminals

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator


Joined: 25 Jan 2002
Posts: 15654
Location: Lurking

PostPost #13  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

markfiend wrote:
Hasn't Our fearless leader! explicitly said that "stolen guitars" is a dig at Wayne? Not that I'm ruling out the possibility that it's also a Bowie reference...

yeah, i always took it as a bowie/pistols ref... i'm not familiar with any interviews on the subject, but now you mention it it wouldnt surprise me.

if it is about hussey, then unless he's being very literal and wayne actually stole a guitar from him, he's a hypocrite.

the sisters stole "hussey & his trademark guitar sound" from dead or alive in the first place Exclamation

hussey has always had a distinct guitar sound - listen to the ealr dead or alive stuff - like "misty cirlces" - ffs!. all eldritch did was hear that & think "i want that jangly s**t on my records!"
_________________
the cake is a lie
the cake is a lie
the cake is a lie
the cake is a lie
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
jay
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth


Joined: 02 Nov 2003
Posts: 485
Location: Liverpool

PostPost #14  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

tis mentioned somewhere on here...
http://www.5years.com/Retire.htm
_________________
I no longer get very wrought up over the liminals

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber


Joined: 16 Dec 2004
Posts: 1732
Location: Somewhere between Athens and Jerusalem.

PostPost #15  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quiff Boy wrote:
the sisters stole "hussey & his trademark guitar sound" from dead or alive in the first place Exclamation


I always thought Marx had a slight jangly sound to his sound. I dunno what you called his style, but the earlier Sisters tracks were definitely fueled by lots of distortion/fuzz and a lack of chords (with the rare power chord).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator


Joined: 25 Jan 2002
Posts: 15654
Location: Lurking

PostPost #16  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

jay wrote:
tis mentioned somewhere on here...
http://www.5years.com/Retire.htm

"In retrospect this concert was to be the last public airing of Ziggy Stardust, apart from the exclusive 1980 Floor Show of August 18-20 1973."

Laughing
_________________
the cake is a lie
the cake is a lie
the cake is a lie
the cake is a lie
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
jay
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth


Joined: 02 Nov 2003
Posts: 485
Location: Liverpool

PostPost #17  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

nick the stripper wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:
the sisters stole "hussey & his trademark guitar sound" from dead or alive in the first place Exclamation


I always thought Marx had a slight jangly sound to his sound. I dunno what you called his style, but the earlier Sisters tracks were definitely fueled by lots of distortion/fuzz and a lack of chords (with the rare power chord).


I think it's a style called glorious incompetence that worked perferctly
_________________
I no longer get very wrought up over the liminals

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
markfiend
goriller of form 3b


Joined: 11 Nov 2003
Posts: 19933
Location: st custards

PostPost #18  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe I'm wrong then. Wouldn't be the first time Wink
_________________
it is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator


Joined: 25 Jan 2002
Posts: 15654
Location: Lurking

PostPost #19  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

markfiend wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong then. Wouldn't be the first time Wink

the more i think about, the less sure i am about my previous opinion. the possibility that it was a (cheap?) shot at hussey is very in keeping with the rest of the stuff eldritch was writing & saying around that time...

i'd be interested to know how literal it was meant.

maybe its a shot at the first handful of mish tunes, which after all started life as sisters demos? Question
_________________
the cake is a lie
the cake is a lie
the cake is a lie
the cake is a lie
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Badlander
Overbomber


Joined: 16 Feb 2006
Posts: 3562
Location: My City of Ruins

PostPost #20  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quiff Boy wrote:

hussey has always had a distinct guitar sound - listen to the ealr dead or alive stuff - like "misty cirlces" - ffs!. all eldritch did was hear that & think "i want that jangly s**t on my records!"


The guitar intro to Abba's Gimme gimme gimme sounds very much like Mish stuff. It wasn't me...

Hussey's just using far too much reverb for my taste anyway. Confused
_________________
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you


Last edited by Badlander on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed


Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 7181
Location: The Chemist's

PostPost #21  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dark wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
spot-on mark. Laughing

i had a catholic friend (of the hypocrite variety rather than screwed-up by guilt sort) who got very sniffy that hissy had slighted god's eternal lovewith that intro.. she seemed to forget that as a some-time cross-dressin bisexual drugged-up rock 'n' roll star he'd be going straight to hell anyway. Rolling Eyes Laughing


Presumably she was also pissed off at "Jihad" and "Adrenochrome".

i doubt she would have given the sisters a second listen if they hadn't been cool amongst her friends...she was a simple minds fan at heart. Rolling Eyes Wierded Out
_________________
arseholes bastards fucking cunts and pricks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up


Joined: 23 May 2002
Posts: 931
Location: Buxville-on-Sea

PostPost #22  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Badlander wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:

hussey has always had a distinct guitar sound - listen to the ealr dead or alive stuff - like "misty cirlces" - ffs!. all eldritch did was hear that & think "i want that jangly s**t on my records!"


The guitar intro to Abba's Gimme gimme gimme sounds very much like Mish stuff. It wasn't me...


Laughing
_________________
Minister of Misinformation and Misdirection.

We first met through a shared view
She loved me and I did too
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed


Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 7181
Location: The Chemist's

PostPost #23  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quiff Boy wrote:
markfiend wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong then. Wouldn't be the first time Wink

the more i think about, the less sure i am about my previous opinion. the possibility that it was a (cheap?) shot at hussey is very in keeping with the rest of the stuff eldritch was writing & saying around that time...

i'd be interested to know how literal it was meant.

maybe its a shot at the first handful of mish tunes, which after all started life as sisters demos? Question

with lyrics that were dumped once already from black planet etc "second-hand passions"?
_________________
arseholes bastards fucking cunts and pricks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
James Blast
Banned


Joined: 11 Jun 2003
Posts: 24739
Location: back from some place else

PostPost #24  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have to stand up for Mr. Lovelock re. his talents as a guitarist, he really did an oustanding job at the RAH Wake gig and the minimal solo on Heaven's Door still sends shivers. Lee's right tho, a lot of people (me included) jumped ship at the turgid Stay with Me.
_________________
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jay
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth


Joined: 02 Nov 2003
Posts: 485
Location: Liverpool

PostPost #25  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

James Blast wrote:
I have to stand up for Mr. Lovelock re. his talents as a guitarist, he really did an oustanding job at the RAH Wake gig and the minimal solo on Heaven's Door still sends shivers. Lee's right tho, a lot of people (me included) jumped ship at the turgid Stay with Me.


He is indeed a damn fine guitarist. He should not be allowed to write his sub Bunnymen lyrics though.
_________________
I no longer get very wrought up over the liminals

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Heartland Forum Index -> Sisters Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 


Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group  ·  Heartland supports phpBBHacks.com
Theme and Graphics by Quiff Boy, Tim Blackman and those nice people at ibplanet.com