Heartland Forum Index
       FAQ      Rules      Search      Paypal Donation      Photo Gallery      Sisters Wiki   
   Register · Profile · Log in to check your private messages · View New Posts · Usergroups · Memberlist · Statistics  
   Follow us on   Twitter    Facebook · Log in  
Lucretia my reflection
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Blast
Banned

PostPost #26  Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

sultan2075 wrote:
FYI, I think "dum dum bullets" are hollow points. I'm not sure where I picked that up though.
Indeed, I also remember a bloke I was at college with telling me about these pills that got you stoned called dum dum, I never tried them and I can't find any reference online to them so that could be bollocks.
Episkopos
Road Kill

PostPost #27  Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dumdums are bullets modified somehow to make a right f**king mess of whatever they hit; they don't just damage, they absolutely mangle. I associate them with gangs making their own in grubby basements, but that could be one too many dodgy cyberpunk RPGs talking.
Elfeyth
Road Kill

PostPost #28  Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Have been puzzling over the lyrics to 'Lucretia' for rather a long while now ...

I am still convinced there is a reference to Tarquin (evil Roman emperor dude) who raped Lucretia and that this is either from actual Roman history or is from literature.

Like the idea suggested earlier that it's about a man and woman failing to be close to each other. The whole 'get down, get undressed' seems to reflect the idea that one of those characters is trying to force some kind of a relationship on the other, in the absence of a balanced, consensual relationship.

Lots of imagery of violence as though the inner feelings of these protagonists are becoming actually tangible elements (in the roaring of the big machine, the crushing power of the train). Dum-dum bullets (so a former boyfriend once explained to me) split up on impact and shatter things (i.e. people) apart.

Maybe the line 'dance the ghost with me' gives us some hope that, even if it's in the spiritual realm, rather than the all too corporeal one of the song, some unity and fulfillment is possible.

Or maybe it's just great to sway around to in a long, black dress?

P.S. Aren't there some other references to trains in Sisters songs? There is something they always make me think of ... but it's far to miserable to post ... so I won't!!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

PostPost #29  Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I always assumed "dance the ghost with me" was some sort of dig at Gary Marx and his post-Sisters band Ghost Dance.
Dead_Rock
Road Kill

PostPost #30  Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A little of this, a bit of that. I don't think it got one theme but is rather a powerful song with lyrics that reflect this power.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

PostPost #31  Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Episkopos wrote:
Dumdums are bullets modified somehow to make a right f**king mess of whatever they hit; they don't just damage, they absolutely mangle.

Are these the ones also known as 'cop killers', or are those the ones with spiralled tip so they burrow through Kevlar Question

EDIT: I was wrong, these are the Cop Killers...

IZ.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

PostPost #32  Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

dum-dum bullets were used in contravention of the geneva convention by the germans in the first world war (my great-grandad lost his leg to one at the age of seventeen at ypes).
they had a flattened end which caused it to explode on impact rather than just make a hole, like hollow-points.
Memphis Rich
Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #33  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

"once a railroad, now it's done" is part of of an old railroader's song from the USA.
H. Blackrose
Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #34  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lucretia = Lucrezia Borgia, not Lucretia wife of Lucius Tarquinius Collatinus. "I think of Patricia as quite Lucretia-like" - Von, before the girl went nuts and started suing him.
Memphis Rich
Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #35  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Countess Dracula
H. Blackrose
Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #36  Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This interview is (mis)quoted in 1959 And All That, on the subject.
BaroqueHyena
Road Kill

PostPost #37  Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

H. Blackrose wrote:
This interview is (mis)quoted in 1959 And All That, on the subject.

"Is That A Banana in Your Pants?"was the first thing that grabbed my attention. Laughing

...And did not know the Doktor was named after a Swiss soccer official. huh.
Fodderstompf
Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #38  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As Eldritch described it as his "welcome on board Patricia
song", I understood the lines

Lucretia, my reflection
Dance the ghost with me

as something like "How ironic, now I'm collaborating
with a woman, just like my old pal Gary in Ghost
Dance does!"
Nadia81
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #39  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had the idea the lyrics were a reference to British post-colonialism. Von and Patricia -white anglo-saxons-dancing on the ruins of the British Empire.
James Blast
Banned

PostPost #40  Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was allas sure it was Mr.E's way of saying "Let's get jiggy wid it" but in a Goth style, even though he's not a Goth, uh-uh, no-no but she looks like she might be.

But he's not.

Okay?
Fodderstompf
Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #41  Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nadia81 wrote:
I had the idea the lyrics were a reference to British post-colonialism. Von and Patricia -white anglo-saxons-dancing on the ruins of the British Empire.

I think "dance the ghost with me" is quite
obviously a nod to Ghost Dance.
iesus
Overbomber

PostPost #42  Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

By combining some clues already know and new sources i think i found a key to solve the fog about what it say from one point of view.
World War II is the main basis of influence.
An interesting text about drug use in WWII can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alertness

I will just copy from there 2 of the interesting among others points:

1- British troops used 72 million amphetamine tablets in the second world war[2] and the RAF used so many that "Methedrine won the Battle of Britain" according to one report.[3]

2-American bomber pilots use amphetamines ("go pills") to stay awake during long missions. The Tarnak Farm incident, in which an American F-16 pilot killed several friendly Canadian soldiers on the ground, was blamed by the pilot on his use of amphetamine.

An interesting question to Our fearless leader! in the future would be: "which empire refers the lyrics?"
Case scenarios are many. Too many options to choose, perhaps the empire is more than one. Germany, Brittish etc.
Also there is a timeline issue. Past, present and future are encrypted carefully providing a post apocalyptic fog in the time to come to the lyrics.
Lucretia is a female symbol-figure and i don't think that is used for Patricia in any case scenario.
million voices
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #43  Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

... or maybe she has her head down because she is looking downwards to where the empire now is - "down"
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

PostPost #44  Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

tl;dr
Guedzilla
Amphetamine Filth

Location: At the place where the bars never close (not that soon, at least)

PostPost #45  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Cure's one is said to be about the mod revival that was going on at the time…
EmmaPeelWannaBe

PostPost #46  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

and I always thought "dum dum bullets" was a reference to smart bombs.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

PostPost #47  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

EmmaPeelWannaBe wrote:
and I always thought "dum dum bullets" was a reference to smart bombs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expanding_bullbullet

See the joke is the irony of shooting to kill (clean and skilful) and choosing to do this with a bullet designed to maximise damage on impact
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

PostPost #48  Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

PostPost #49  Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

patsy was a good bass-player in a fair-to-middling band which she could have carried on in until whenever. she cleverly and correctly chose to trade this for being a high-profile member of the worlds greatest rock band's magazine cover-gracing division at the time of the bands greatest popularity and accolade. alll the coke you can stop von snaffling and never have to pay for a can of shockwaves again. every (honest) woman on this forum would sell their souls to hang out with eldritch for 2 years. as for vanian, you cant help who you fall in love with.
million voices

PostPost #50  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't have minded being able to see through to her bottom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Heartland Forum Index -> Lyrics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
 Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: