Slightly depressed.... (CBPOB)

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Nadia81
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

not depressed but mightily annoyed by Mozilla firefox update.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Currently working eight days a week because the company I'm employed by doesn't like to say no...

(BTW the above is based on an average working day of 7.5 hours - so there are 8 working days in a week)
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Erudite wrote:Currently working eight days a week because the company I'm employed by doesn't like to say no...

(BTW the above is based on an average working day of 7.5 hours - so there are 8 working days in a week)
European working hours directive any help to you?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
Erudite wrote:Currently working eight days a week because the company I'm employed by doesn't like to say no...

I signed a waiver some years back - doh!

I am at least being paid for the OT, which helps.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Even with a waiver, you can't be made to work more than a 48-hour-week on average averaged out over a 17-week period.

And you can give 7-days notice to cancel the waiver unilaterally.

(Source)

Bear in mind, I am not a lawyer, do not treat this as legal advice blah blah blah etc.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

Yeah, my understanding is that waiver be-damned, it's the law and if your employer tried to enforce the waiver they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
mh
Above the Chemist

CPOB being kept awake most of last night by some of the finer specimens of inner city youth having a fight on the street outside.

It started something like this:

Scumbag 1: "Don't come near me, I swear on me ma's grave!" (remember that phrase, it's important).
Scumbag 2: "I swear on me ma's grave I'll bleedin' burst ya!"

This goes on for about half an hour, each of them swearing on their ma's grave that XYZ. Whether their mothers are actually in fact alive doesn't seem to matter much here, by the way.

Roundabout then Scumbag 3 joins the party. There's some muttering and vague incoherent yelling, then we get:

Scumbag 3: "I'd even swear it on your ma's grave".

At this point Scumbag 2 goes - for want of a better word - utterly ballistic.

Scumbag 2: "You've got some neck! You've got some bleedin' neck! Swearing it on my ma's bleedin' grave! You've got your own bleedin' family, swear it on your own ma's bleedin' grave! You've got some neck!"

Scumbag 1 and Scumbag 3 seem to drift off, leaving Scumbag 2 hollering "you've got some neck" into the darkness.

After a short while there's the sound of crying, with the sobs punctuated by the words "swearing on my ma's grave".

After another short while Scumbag 2 obviously makes a phone call, and can be heard saying "yeah, come in and pick me up". But that obviously isn't enough, as he then tells the joyous recipient of the call "do you know what yer man did? He swore on my ma's grave! He's got some bleedin' neck!"

And to finish it all off, he starts hollering into the darkness again.

"YOU'VE GOT SOME NECK!"

So half of me was laughing my head off at this, the other half just wanted to take potshots at them with an air rifle. Ended up completely zonked all day.

I hate Paddy's Day. :evil:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
James Blast
Banned

sorry for yer grief our man Michael but I rather enjoyed that tale and shall be using the term "you've got some neck" at every opportunity :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Erudite wrote:
markfiend wrote:

I signed a waiver some years back - doh!

I am at least being paid for the OT, which helps.
use the sheckles wisely (booze is an idea)
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Holly_DelRey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

@mh You poor bugger. Hope you get a better sleep tonight :/
Amusing story tho :lol:
🇨🇦 🔁 🇺🇲
ruffers
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:sorry for yer grief our man Michael but I rather enjoyed that tale and shall be using the term "you've got some neck" at every opportunity :lol:
Really? I put it to you sir, that you, without further consideration have yourself, so to do, got some neck..

Innit.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Failing to notice Motorhead are playing Aberdeen - event is now sold out! :(

Guess I'll just have to go down to Glasgow instead...
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Erudite wrote:Failing to notice Motorhead are playing Aberdeen - event is now sold out! :(

That's if we'll have you :P
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Big Si
School Bully

boudicca wrote:
Erudite wrote:Failing to notice Motorhead are playing Aberdeen - event is now sold out! :(

Like you, he just keeps turning up :wink: :kiss:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

boudicca wrote:

Don't worry, I've learned my lesson after the last time. :lol: :wink:
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Truly, I must have sinned terribly in a former life!

I'll try and keep this as brief as possible:

Customer asks for job for May 25.
About four weeks ago, well into said job, customer realises that they require a different mod to the database which requires to be done prior to mod already under way and delivered for May 13. To add insult to injury, they would also like a third mod delivered about a month after the original one.
Database is rolled back, work begins afresh and about a week into it customer decides that they would like the new mod combined with the original but delivered, of course, for the earlier date.
Being the department "expert" in said system, shit naturally rolls in my direction and many evenings are spent at work trying to pull latest rabbit from hat.
Five to five this evening, customer phones to inform me that they will not be ready for the combined mod and would now like to go with the first variation.

Great big hairy arse biscuits!
James Blast
Banned

that's just business as usual for me, especially at 'year end'
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
mh
Above the Chemist

Erudite wrote:Truly, I must have sinned terribly in a former life!

I'll try and keep this as brief as possible:

Customer asks for job for May 25.
About four weeks ago, well into said job, customer realises that they require a different mod to the database which requires to be done prior to mod already under way and delivered for May 13. To add insult to injury, they would also like a third mod delivered about a month after the original one.
Database is rolled back, work begins afresh and about a week into it customer decides that they would like the new mod combined with the original but delivered, of course, for the earlier date.
Being the department "expert" in said system, shit naturally rolls in my direction and many evenings are spent at work trying to pull latest rabbit from hat.
Five to five this evening, customer phones to inform me that they will not be ready for the combined mod and would now like to go with the first variation.

That sounds about normal Don. Customers. Can't live with them, can't encase them in 2 tons of fast drying cement and deposit them in a festering cesspool.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Erudite wrote:
sorry, didn't quite catch that :lol: :notworthy:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Holly_DelRey

mh wrote: Customers. Can't live with them, can't encase them in 2 tons of fast drying cement and deposit them in a festering cesspool.

F*ck yeah to that. I do not miss working in retail :urff:
🇨🇦 🔁 🇺🇲
Holly_DelRey

weebleswobble wrote:
Erudite wrote:
sorry, didn't quite catch that :lol: :notworthy:
:lol: :lol:
🇨🇦 🔁 🇺🇲
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

mh wrote: That sounds about normal Don. Customers. Can't live with them, can't encase them in 2 tons of fast drying cement and deposit them in a festering cesspool.
Ours, having to control a great big chunk of the national electricity network, are normally less fickle and a damn sight more responsible.

At least they were until someone thought they should be divided up into four regional alliances who, naturally, don't talk to one another. :roll:

Little wonder I'm rapidly going grey...

Still, the weekend approaches and methinks the doctor will definitely be in!
mh
Above the Chemist

Erudite wrote:
mh wrote: That sounds about normal Don. Customers. Can't live with them, can't encase them in 2 tons of fast drying cement and deposit them in a festering cesspool.
Ours, having to control a great big chunk of the national electricity network, are normally less fickle and a damn sight more responsible.

At least they were until someone thought they should be divided up into four regional alliances who, naturally, don't talk to one another. :roll:

Little wonder I'm rapidly going grey...

Still, the weekend approaches and methinks the doctor will definitely be in!
That's mild, believe me. :evil:

Mine would be a waste of a good wall. And good bullets. Someday I'll tell you about the full horror, when the pain is a little more distant... :lol:
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

I've long maintained that the revolution will have to be held in China - it's the only place with a long enough wall! :lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'm supposed to be building a shopping website on top of a pre-existing products database. Due by the end of next week. I haven't even got the db schema yet, never mind any actual data.

Nor have I got the client's bank details (to integrate online payment) or all sorts of stuff.

I'm going to be busy next week...
—Bertrand Russell