Slightly depressed.... (CBPOB)

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

we've got a similar situation with one of our clients :oops:

we've taken over the contract for chester zoo's website and need to maintain their current (dog sh*t) web site while we build their new one, but the agency who were doing it are refusing to give us access to the CMS and/or any of the source code (it uses site core) :urff:

in theory its not our problem - its for the client to negotiate the intellectual property rights with the out-going agency - but it' still f**king up the project plan :roll:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Quiff Boy wrote:in theory its not our problem
Yeah, we all know how that one goes :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

OK, so our name changed during the week. I spent all day yesterday (at the request of the business owner) going through the design of a nasty legacy app changing every single place the old name was hard-coded (somebody needs to be shot for that). Last thing yesterday evening an email is sent saying we're not to use the new name until we're formally notified. So now I've to change it back. I expect we'll be formally notified on Monday or Tuesday at the very latest so then I've got to undo the change back.

Bizarre is too mild a word for it. I've earned me pints this evening for sure.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Can you replace all hard-coded instances of $OLDNAME with a variable, then you can just switch it on notification.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

That would be the longer term plan, but this needs doing roundabout now, and there's no time for testing and all the other nice luxuries that normal sensible setups have. :evil:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ah, the old "...and can you do it by Yesterday" gambit. Got you.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

not got version control? can you not just compile 2 copies of it? :?:
mh
Above the Chemist

Quiff Boy wrote:not got version control? can you not just compile 2 copies of it? :?:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

We don't hold with that thar new fangled version control in these here parts boah. Yo' not in yore fancy city now.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

not even MS Visual SourceSafe? you must have that knocking about on an old visual studio cd somewhere...? :lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Version control? Do you think we're made of hard-drives? :lol:
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

mh
Above the Chemist

Unfortunately it's after the fact, and the moral of the story is that even if you think something is a permanent change, you should make your own backup of it anyway.

Ah well, I'm getting yesterday's version back from tape anyhoo, so the pain is mitigated somewhat.
James Blast
Banned

"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

James Blast wrote:'ave this guys - http://clientsfromhell.tumblr.com/
o.O
—Bertrand Russell
James Blast
Banned

a days training on peecee and CS4
I can't get by how Windows XP looks so much like a kids thing, it made CS4 look and work like an Etch-A-Sketch :(

I then came home and put CS4 on my Massif! Mac

wish I hadn't, it's gonna make getting up and going to work even harder

cuntbubblemcscoosh! :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Being645
Above the Chemist

James Blast wrote:a days training on peecee and CS4
I can't get by how Windows XP looks so much like a kids thing, it made CS4 look and work like an Etch-A-Sketch :(

I then came home and put CS4 on my Massif! Mac

wish I hadn't, it's gonna make getting up and going to work even harder

cuntbubblemcscoosh! :|
Understandable ... perhaps you could negotiate an agreement you work from at home ... :wink: ...
James Blast
Banned

I've only been asking for that for the last 4 years (due to failing health) they've told me to "go take this pin and hang it in yer ass" - I don't see it happening now
~ Peter Steele
psichonaut
Overbomber

James, your Boss must be a good guy ;D ;D
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
James Blast
Banned

you kin Fuck off n'aw!
~ Peter Steele
Being645
Above the Chemist

James Blast wrote:I've only been asking for that for the last 4 years (due to failing health) they've told me to "go take this pin and hang it in yer ass" - I don't see it happening now

:lol: ... is that the standard colloquials British employers in advertising biz present their staff with ...
not easy to come by and get such people down to earth - however, who should be able to do so, if not you?

My former boss used to tell me: Give this f**ker a straight kick in the balls ... :twisted: ... :lol: ...
(a more balanced interpretation of this expression was - of course - upon me) ...

Sorry for your present situation, however ... :wink: ...
James Blast
Banned

yeah
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

CPOB...my boss being a paranoid she-cock.

I was copied on an email thread that had been circulating for 3 days and asked to weigh in on the topic of "what issues was I seeing that our clients were having with a particular vendor's data."

So I laid it out - focused on processes not people, gave examples, proposed ways that it could be improved. Completely stayed away from "I wouldn't trust these people to sit the right way on a toilet"-type rants. One of the examples was an email that I sent to my boss 3 months ago laying out the same information with specific reference to a client, with in the intention that people could see the thread and the dialogue with the vendor. Again, completely non-judgmental, simply, "here's a situation where a client had a problem."

My boss calls and demands to know why I threw her under the bus. Wha'?
"You sent an email and copied a lot of management that accused me of not doing my job."
No matter that not once in the email did I mention any person - only described problems with a process.
"I don't believe that you didn't mean it when you write the email, I know you are trying to make me look bad, I don't know why you're trying to open a can of worms here."

My reply: all I care about is delivering a quality product. If there is a process failure that prevents that, then I'm happy to propose suggestions as to how the process can be improved.
What would p*ssing you off get me? I don't want your job, and I'd like to have a good working r'ship with you. I p*ss you off, you get angry - not really in the game plan, you know?
Then, for kicks, I jokingly said, "If I was going to throw you under the bus I would be a good deal more subtle about it."
Apparently she didn't think that was funny, no not at all.

FFS - women!!
:evil:
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

never write anything down then hit "send" I saw a 49 year old father of 3 lose his 25 years worth of pension and his job over a 'stray' e-mail

it's hard these days when we ken whit we mean, others can and will interpret it otherwise

ca cannay folks
~ Peter Steele
Elystan
Amphetamine Filth

If this thread stays on the front page long enough I will be sorely tempted to tl;dr the s**t out of it. Think happy thoughts.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

This is a Sistes forum, happy thughts are few and far between.
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."