Obama vs McCain: split out from the "Happy" thread

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Looking at the results by county I'm amazed just how much of the country is coloured Red-for-Republican.

But then someone pointed out "yeah, but a lot of those red areas are empty".
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Nicole
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:Looking at the results by county I'm amazed just how much of the country is coloured Red-for-Republican.

But then someone pointed out "yeah, but a lot of those red areas are empty".
Yep - I looked up my state out of curiousity (since it went blue for the first time in 44 years) Most of the state is indeed colored by red, but the blue areas are the more populated ones. You can see how populated states are based on their number of electoral votes too.

(copied from another site cause it explains better than I could) "Each state gets a number of electors equal to the number of its members in the US House of Representatives plus one for each of its two US Senators. "
"Since electoral college representation is based on Congressional representation, states with larger populations get more electoral college votes. "
Which explains why some of these states that look huge (like Alaska or Montana) have so few votes - there just aren't that many people there. The ones that are there tend to be a bit more spread out. You can see the Northeast is practically all blue - those states are also a bit more populated and dense. The rural vote goes to Republicans quite often.

Sorry if I over-explained - I had to explain this fact to some family members not too long ago, who were being a bit argumentative - including my younger sister, who has a college education (still in school) while I do not (yet) :|
...with the wind in our face and our arms open wide...
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Not much different from our system, which lets a party govern without having the majority of the vote though. Conservatives polled about a million more votes than Labour in England at the last election, yet Labour ended up with the vast majority of English M.P's. I'm pretty sure there was a vice-versa situation under Thatcher as well at one point.

And although his politics didn't appeal, credit to McCain for accepting defeat graciously, and conducting a campaign against Obama in a far classier manner than Hillary Clinton did.

*Non U.S politics related, but has anyone thought of checking for signs of early dementia in the population of Glenrothes?*
nodubmanshouts

I don't mind the American Electoral College or British "Party" system, but I don't like it when politicians juggle district boundaries to put voting in their favor.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

DeWinter wrote:
*Non U.S politics related, but has anyone thought of checking for signs of early dementia in the population of Glenrothes?*

Aye... :(

But maybe it's a good thing.
As much as I like Alex Salmond, he's been getting a bit cocky lately.
With any luck this will serve as a wake up call.
DeWinter

Erudite wrote:
Aye... :(

But maybe it's a good thing.
As much as I like Alex Salmond, he's been getting a bit cocky lately.
With any luck this will serve as a wake up call.
He's had a few knocks recently. His oft-quoted examples of small financially sound countries are all up the creek, the national bank had to be bailed out with money Scotland could never have raised, and the Taxpayers Alliance are ripping apart the McCrone report. Despite that, all I can say is that if Scotland decides it doesn't want him any more, can we have him?? Pretty please??
I think Glenrothes might have more to do with the return of two rather unpleasant men with a talent for disinformation.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

You don't think Mrs B knocking on doors had anything to do with it then? :wink:
DeWinter

Erudite wrote:You don't think Mrs B knocking on doors had anything to do with it then? :wink:
She would have one hell of a bloody set of knuckles if she knocked on that many doors!!:lol:
In a way it's sad that Brown is so desperate to cling to power he's relying on Mandelson and Campbell, two men who waged a relentless smear campaign against him for years. If they managed to get the better of Salmond, who's smart and actually believes in what he says, imagine what they'll do to Cameron..
25men
Road Kill

Don't forget that black folk can do wrong as well...........

Obama’s popularity can be attributed to one concept: he stands for “change.� But is this the type of change that American citizens really want—to become enslaved by a UN global tax on top of the local, state and federal taxes they already pay? Is Obama just another political tool whose loyalties lie with those shadowy figures who sit atop the world’s control pyramid.
nowayjose

25men wrote:Is Obama just another political tool whose loyalties lie with those shadowy figures who sit atop the world’s control pyramid.
We'll harvest your brain just like we do with everyone else. Resistance is futile. Turn on your TV and be a good citizen.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

sultan2075 wrote:
beatnick138 wrote: ...I do fear for Obama's life if he's elected...
Are you serious?
Very.
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry: