(For the Anoraks) Wake Video(different edit)

Unknown songs and demos, who wrote what, who sang what, the usual biographies, discography gubbins, photos of Eldritch with no sunglasses, etc, etc, etc, yadda, yadda, yadda....
Big Si
School Bully

As a Sisters Anorak my self :oops: :roll: I was wondering if anyone knows how many versions of Wake were released, as I've got a copy of an original I borrowed from my younger brother's best friend, and an original I bought from an old college buddy who decided to sell his collection off many, many years ago. I'm asking this question as some tracks are filmed differently on both videos. Call it old age (nah! Alcohol Abuse) but I just found my video collection that I haven't looked at for at least 10 years, and I can't believe I have some of this stuff :?:

(oh yeah! my brother's best friend got it from his cousin, who is currently the bassist with The Alarm :wink: )
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

ahh, this wake question! ;D

dunno - i've only got the "channel 5" one, and a divx version that hal encoded - not done a direct comparison though ;)

:(
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Big Si
School Bully

Big Si wrote:
(my brother's best friend got it from his cousin, who is currently the bassist with The Alarm :wink: :wink: )
I thought maybe the band members, record company, etc got a special promo version. I remember it being in exactly the same style box. Just the footage on some tracks is completely different, other camera angles, blah, blah, blah....
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

I used to own a copy of the chennel 5 one and another one that (as far as fuzzy recollection allows) had lighting effects on it ( I remember a lot of blue). I think it was pretty much the same film though. I only ever watched them both once as I ended up losing the tape one drunken evening.

What pisses me off more than anything was that it had alll the F&L&A promo vids on it as well.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
James Blast
Banned

I've got both :)
1st one I got is on PolyGram Video, no. on spine is 041 325 2
address for PolyGram is-
1 Rockely Road
London
W14 0DL

do you think they will still be there?
NEXT!
Last edited by James Blast on 05 Jan 2004, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
hallucienate
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:ahh, this wake question! ;D

dunno - i've only got the "channel 5" one, and a divx version that hal encoded - not done a direct comparison though ;)

I think you'll find they're the same :wink:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

hallucienate wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:ahh, this wake question! ;D

I think you'll find they're the same :wink:
i suspected as much... this 'ere channel 5 is the only one i've ever seen.

so there's one with less video fx on? less blue swirly s**t? cool! 8)
Hojyuu-obi
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

A very rare Elektra promotional issue on BetaMax exists as well (impossible to find!)

Also a 5 track Vanderquest promo VHS tape which contains Floorshow and Possession edited and with different sound mix.

First issue: Castle Music Video (CMV 1042) VHS.
Second Issue: PolyGram Music Video (041 325 2) VHS.
Also: PolyGram Music Video Japanese laserdisc (SMO58-3008) (comes with blue bio sheet).

Then there were a series of Channel 5 reissues first one in black case, last one in 1992(I believe) in clear casing. All of them as far as I know share the same catalogue number being CFV 06152 ...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

now that surely is the definitive answer! 8) :lol:
taylor
Slight Overbomber

>A very rare Elektra promotional issue on BetaMax exists as well >(impossible to find!)

>Also a 5 track Vanderquest promo VHS tape which contains Floorshow >and Possession edited and with different sound mix.

WHERE YOU SEEN THHIS ITEM ?
Hojyuu-obi

taylor wrote:>A very rare Elektra promotional issue on BetaMax exists as well >(impossible to find!)

>Also a 5 track Vanderquest promo VHS tape which contains Floorshow >and Possession edited and with different sound mix.

WHERE YOU SEEN THHIS ITEM ?
First item is in an Italian collection + ebay a few years ago

Second was lend to me once by a german collector to make a copy :)

5 tracks were: Walk Away, No Time To Cry, Black Planet promo videos + the 2 tracks from 'Wake' mentioned above. Maxell E30 Tape with off-white (or yellowed by age :) ) labels mentioning 'Vanderquest' and a telephone number
taylor
Slight Overbomber

>Second was lend to me once by a german collector to make a copy

>5 tracks were: Walk Away, No Time To Cry, Black Planet promo videos + >the 2 tracks from 'Wake' mentioned above. Maxell E30 Tape with >off-white (or yellowed by age ) labels mentioning 'Vanderquest' and a >telephone number

have you the original ? 18.06.85 tracks are different ?
Andy TG
Overbomber

I have a version of "Wake" recorded from ITV, must be over 10 years ago - which features introductions and interviews with a guy called "Mike Mansfield" (who looks like a nice Micheal Winner).

He mentions that the band (read Eldritch) wanted the lights to be "As Black As Possible" and that it was He and Not Von who added those lousy IMHO "Camera Effects"

I would very much like to have a copy of the gig without those bloody annoying effects. Does such a version exist?
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

AndyTheGoth wrote:I would very much like to have a copy of the gig without those bloody annoying effects. Does such a version exist?
Ditto. Really naff 70s style effects. Always remind me of the opening credits to Murder, Mystery and Suspense.
Go to sleep now, Francis.
mh
Above the Chemist

Mike Mansfield was the "director", who I believe was also responsible for all those Adam And The Ants vids.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Ive got the one with Kylie in it :)

Sorry, i just dont belong down here.... ill get my coat.

Back yo Modding chat;)

Paddy.
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
straylight
Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote:Mike Mansfield was the "director", who I believe was also responsible for all those Adam And The Ants vids.
But his greatest claim to fame was the seventies pop show Supersonic in which he would appear as the director saying things like 'cue the giant swan' when T Rex were on.

I suspect this is what got him the gig.
Rivers
Amphetamine Filth

I'm sure that anyone who has seen Mr Mansfields other works surely knows that the Sisters got off lightly :P
Didn't he direct the Cure's Charlotte Sometimes vid?
And we are nothing but experience in the eyes of nature,
And we will live forever in the eyes of nature.
allfear

I met some of the crew on the wake shoot that said mansfield was speeding off his tits all night!
James Blast
Banned

allfear wrote:I met some of the crew on the wake shoot that said mansfield was speeding off his tits all night!
thanks, it still doesn't excuse the crap effects :(
why on earth Mr. E chose MM is still beyond my ken, maybe it was a sick joke that got out of hand?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
allfear

James Blast wrote:
allfear wrote:I met some of the crew on the wake shoot that said mansfield was speeding off his tits all night!
why on earth Mr. E chose MM is still beyond my ken, maybe it was a sick joke that got out of hand?
At the Time Maike Mansfield was one of the Very FEW indiependant TV directors that did music stuff, and to be fair the special effects were the bst that was on offer at the time and I dint think there that band just what was around at the time.
Rivers
Amphetamine Filth

I met some of the crew on the wake shoot that said mansfield was speeding off his tits all night!
That explains why the encore wasn't filmed then :lol:
And we are nothing but experience in the eyes of nature,
And we will live forever in the eyes of nature.
robertzombie
Overbomber

I only have the "Channel 5" copy (what is the difference between the "Channel 5" one and the one with no "Ch 5" logo on it?)

anyway. on the Ch 5 version the encore (fix and heaven's door) are in Letterbox format whereas the rest is full screen. why is that? and what is Channel 5? are the talking about the UK channel FIVE? my tape is from 1987.
Pat
Slight Overbomber

allfear wrote:
James Blast wrote:
At the Time Maike Mansfield was one of the Very FEW indiependant TV directors that did music stuff, and to be fair the special effects were the bst that was on offer at the time and I dint think there that band just what was around at the time.
Maybe the music was more important than the visuals.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Nah. Otherwise he may as well have just officially released the "Holocaust" boot. :lol: