SF post gig review

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
Nicole
Amphetamine Filth

voodoo wrote: Andrew as animated and engaging and indulged in a bit of what appeared dangerously similar to Gothic hand sign dancing.
:lol: I noticed this in Chicago and thought it was rather adorable. Definitely a lot of arm and hand gestures going on - looked like he was enjoying himself.
voodoo wrote: Our after show party was a smash. It was in full swing when the entire band showed up. While I was spinning Chris came up to request some old glam - Sweet and Slade, which I was happy to play. I had a nice conversation with him and Ben at the bar later and spoke briefly to Andrew, who was in incognito mode, wearing a knit cap, and hoodie with the hood up, and shades, and seemed to want to scurry away whenever he was recognized.

For some reason I've always imagined Andrew as being a bit shy offstage, and running away when recognized - not sure why though, not sure if that's accurate either. As far as being in incognito mode - seems all he would have to do to not be recognized would be to take the shades off! :lol: Very cool that they showed up to the after party, glad it went well!
...with the wind in our face and our arms open wide...
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Nicole wrote:haven't been able to track down an actual copy of Wake
http://www.stellarproducts.biz/siofmewalipe.html
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Nicole wrote:As far as being in incognito mode - seems all he would have to do to not be recognized would be to take the shades off!
It actually seems to work quite well. It's truly amazing to me the number of people who have no clue what he looks like without them. But then, I'm apparently easily amazed, since also I don't understand people who are "huge Sisters fans" and yet taken completely unawares by the shows :roll:
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Nicole
Amphetamine Filth

7anthea7 wrote:
:notworthy: Perfect! I had been stalking ebay but never came up with anything in NTSC format. I owe you one Anthea!
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Nicole wrote:I owe you one Anthea!
My pleasure! :D
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

bismarck wrote:
euphoria wrote:Not only Susanne...just look at the setlist: No more Romeo Down, no more Slept, no more Still (and obviously no more War on drugs or Come together, but they seem to be gone forever).
It's greatest hits setlist. The only reason 'More' and 'UTG' aren't there is lack of girly backup vocalists.
Both songs have been nicely performed without background singers.
"as we walk on the floodland"
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Ozpat wrote:
bismarck wrote:
euphoria wrote:Not only Susanne...just look at the setlist: No more Romeo Down, no more Slept, no more Still (and obviously no more War on drugs or Come together, but they seem to be gone forever).
It's greatest hits setlist. The only reason 'More' and 'UTG' aren't there is lack of girly backup vocalists.
Both songs have been nicely performed without background singers.
Perhaps, but that's why they're not performed on this tour, according to the band.
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
cocoamix
Amphetamine Filth

bismarck wrote: It's greatest hits setlist. The only reason 'More' and 'UTG' aren't there is lack of girly backup vocalists.

I'm sure Daniel Mass from Salvation isn't busy.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Nicole wrote:
7anthea7 wrote:
:notworthy: Perfect! I had been stalking ebay but never came up with anything in NTSC format. I owe you one Anthea!
Why not stalking at the weeding forum?

Are you shure that you can't play PAL discs? Most half-way up to date tv's and player supports both, NTSC and PAL standards - eventually after a little setup in the menu. Another issue may be the region code but usually these unofficial DVDs aren't limited that way.
Nicole
Amphetamine Filth

DocSommer wrote: Why not stalking at the weeding forum?

Are you shure that you can't play PAL discs? Most half-way up to date tv's and player supports both, NTSC and PAL standards - eventually after a little setup in the menu. Another issue may be the region code but usually these unofficial DVDs aren't limited that way.
I've never tried to play a PAL disc to tell you the truth - we end up using the Playstation 2 to play DVDs most of the time, seems every time we buy an actual DVD player it gives up on us (admittedly they've been pretty cheap) I'm pretty sure a PS2 will play region-free discs. And our TV is pretty old so I wouldn't count on it being halfway up to date either. Funny thing is my boyfriend installs custom home theater and whole house audio systems (and security systems, and custom lighting, and so on - toys for people who have more money than they know what to do with, really high end stuff - a recent job he did for a residential house, the people spent 60 grand. On the professional side they've also done a local TV news station and a club/restaurant that has live jazz on weekends) for a living and our own AV equipment is ancient. He's talked about at least getting a decent stereo system and speakers from work eventually but even at cost and without paying for labor it's pretty pricey. He knows he's incredibly underpaid though and that's part of the reason why we've been looking to move, so he can work for a company that actually makes money because it's run well and half way professional and not hanging on by the skin of their teeth. And where he doesn't have to constantly fix and cover for the owner's mistakes in system design, and client's don't always call his cell phone instead of the office because they're that incompetent. But that's another rant and story. :wink:

You know I haven't even checked out the weeding forum yet? :oops: Been reading the chat and sharing sections and haven't even gotten to that point yet, looks like I should start! :lol:
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

yeah you should ;)

Well, the shoemaker's son always goes barefoot^^

I'm also kind of hobby-related interested in home theatre stuff and have some A/V gadgets at home - but it's not really highend stuff compared to what your boyfriend is working with. I hope he's gonna find a more solvent workplace soon.

At least it will be no problem for him to figure out if you can play these RC-free PAL discs with your setup :wink:
Nicole
Amphetamine Filth

DocSommer wrote: Well, the shoemaker's son always goes barefoot^^
Ain't that the truth - at least it doesn't apply to me though. I work for an online used and new bookseller and have no shortage of books around thankfully. Books aren't a luxury to me, they're a necessity - and employee discounts are nice too.

He would know more about what our current setup can and cannot play - I'll have to ask him about it. I got some burned discs a long time ago (non-Sisters related) that I couldn't get to play, the player wouldn't even recognize that there was a disc in the machine, and I never figured out why. I'm a bit clueless when it comes to that sort of thing, but I'll have to ask him about it.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

bismarck wrote: Perhaps, but that's why they're not performed on this tour, according to the band.
Hm? Who said that - Chris I guess? Sounds like something Andrew wouldn't tell and Ben wouldn't know ;-)
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

When was More performed without female backing vocals? Istanbul 2006? :lol:
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

itnAklipse wrote:When was More performed without female backing vocals? Istanbul 2006? :lol:
:urff:

For example: Enjoy The Puppet Show... :P

Or were you there to sing along. :innocent: :twisted:
Last edited by Ozpat on 03 Dec 2008, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.
ShadesofGrey
Road Kill

(Long time reader, first time poster) I just wanted to drop by and offer up some photos from the San Fran show. I was at the Anaheim show last night and they were a bit more strict about photography. (I enjoyed the San Fran show more than Anaheim too.) Everyone in our area seemed to have a good time at the Grand Ballroom even though we were looking forward to the Warfield.

We even got a photo of the other playlist to go with Chaotican's photo. :)

Enjoy!

http://tinyurl.com/sistersofmercyconcert

-j
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Very nice photo's! :notworthy:

...and welcome... :D
Mothra
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Thanks for the various posts regarding directions, not so clever areas to walk around and the like, bit of a belated post, as I only got back from the trip yesterday.

For what its worth the best part of a week after the show, I thought it was great. Hypernova were the best support act I've seen in years (kind of a goth Killers I thought). I bought the album, I don't recall the last time I did that within minutes of hearing a band. And the Sisters were well worth the long journey. Andrew seemed pretty in to it, and for me the gig really took off when he spent most of Alice at the lip of the stage. I think he gestured to the soundman to turn him up at that point, as he was standing in front of the PA and would have known how relatively quiet he sounded. If he did, it didn't make any noticeable difference!! I made a trip to the bar during Summer, and when I came back in stood towards the back, where the sound was much better in general I thought.

We had walked down to the Warfield earlier in the day, and it looked of an amibitious size to fill for a band without a release in 15 years, but the crowd they did pull was pretty respectable (around 600 at a guess). I had a brief chat with Chris before the show, he said they'd have done an acoustic set if not enough tickets had been sold to play any meaningful venue. Now that would have been interesting.

My girlfriend was pretty impressed as well, though she did say that a lead singer should be heard clearly (she may have a point!). Anyway, compared to the last time we went (that Astoria show), the whole night (and trip) was quite simply great fun. It may not be exactly what everyone wants, but when the band are firing on all cylinders (as they appeared to be), they make for a pretty good show, one I reckon can more than hold its own against any number of the alt-rock/metal bands that currently do the rounds.

I will confess to being surprised though to opening the paper the next day and NOT seeing a report on how the SF police are looking for 3 men and an accomplice to the murder of an innocent 23 year old woman named Marian. Last seen heading off into the fog in the direction of Southern California.
sistersfaninma
Road Kill

I saw the Sister's MA USA show and had HIGH expectations but was pretty disappointed.. The vocals were so low I could not understand what he was singing.. I would give the show a C-.. :cry: