Vision Thing

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

"2000 Hamburg 4"

I am aware of the canonical interpretation of this, but I like to think that the original line was the football score "Leeds nil - Hamburg 4" which was just too funny to put on the final version.
Overbomber

I'm probably really wrong but doesn't it have something to do with postal codes?
hallucienate
Overbomber

Vision Thing with its "2000 Hamburg 4" (postcode of Reeperbahn, Hamburg's central place for raw fun, in Vision Thing album times) reference replaced This Corrosion
Taken from http://tours.tsom.org/2001/concerts/20010227.htm
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

hallucienate wrote:
Vision Thing with its "2000 Hamburg 4" (postcode of Reeperbahn, Hamburg's central place for raw fun, in Vision Thing album times) reference replaced This Corrosion
Taken from http://tours.tsom.org/2001/concerts/20010227.htm
Many a happy hour can be spent down the Herbert Strasse....
Amphetamine Filth

Any ideas why the long version of Vision Thing from ToL '92 was called Canadian Club Remix? I take it that American Fade / German release refer to the 91 promo and single, but I would be interested to know what the Canadian connection is (if there is one).
Petseri
Overbomber

slicepack wrote:"2000 Hamburg 4"

I am aware of the canonical interpretation of this, but I like to think that the original line was the football score "Leeds nil - Hamburg 4" which was just too funny to put on the final version.
It was a postal code, as has been noted. West Germany used to have four-digit number for postal codes. Large cities would have ones ending in three 0's (Berlin was 1000, Hamburg 2000, etc.) Smaller cities would end in two 0's, like Kassel (my old stomping ground, about 210,000 inhabitants - good size place which few people know) which had 3500. In general, the smaller the locality, the fewer 0's at the end of the postal code. Postbauer-Heng probably did not have many, for example. (Where? you ask. That is my point.) (In Franconia [Franken], if you really wan to know.) (8439 may have been the Postleitzahl.)

The four digit number came before the city name, i.e. 1000 Berlin. The postal code may have been shortened to reduce the 0's (1 Berlin, 35 Kassel, etc.). Also, I remember seeing the postal code stick out of the address block, at least in older letters. By that, I mean that the person's name, street, and town/city all lined up top to bottom, but the postal code was a few spaces to the left to highight it. No idea if that was standard or just personal prefernece.

If a large city was divided into further areas, that number would follow the city name, i.e. 1000 Berlin 36. That is how we get 2000 Hamburg 4. (Sometimes the intra-city area number was not used. In Kassel, I rarely saw them, although there was, as far as I know, at least a 3500 Kassel 2.)

In 1995, Germany revised its postal codes to be five-digit. Often a locality in (West) Germany had the same postal code of a town in former East Germany. After unification in 1990, the Deutsche Post got around this for a few years by having people write W (West) or O (Ost) before the postal code. When the new five digit numbers came into use, the W and O were no longer necessary.

So, in 1990 during the release of Vision Thing, there was a 2000 Hamburg 4. Today it is something else, and as far as I have figured, the new postal codes do not necessarily follow the internal city division. I am not sure of what St. Pauli's PLZ is/are now, but I am sure that someone in myhearltland from Northern Germany can offer a suggestion.

Man, did I really just write all that on postal codes which are no longer in use? :?:

Martin
Last edited by Petseri on 18 Sep 2003, 19:11, edited 2 times in total.
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

Petseri wrote: Man, did I really just write all that on postal codes which are no longer in use? :?:
Yes you did, and very informative it was too - unlike most of the other postings round here.

the last man to talk that much about post codes that much is now breathing through a tube :wink: :lol:
ryan
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

now THATS informative!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :grin:
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

James wrote:Any ideas why the long version of Vision Thing from ToL '92 was called Canadian Club Remix? I take it that American Fade / German release refer to the 91 promo and single, but I would be interested to know what the Canadian connection is (if there is one).
Canadian Club is a whisky. And not a very good one at that. You'd be better off with Crown Royale :D
24.24.2.489 Deceased
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

That could be it...
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
mh
Above the Chemist

So I take it that "American Fade" is JD then :)

It's American, ya drink it, and man do you fade!
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

CellThree wrote:Canadian Club is a whisky. And not a very good one at that. You'd be better off with Crown Royale :D
Best one's Midleton Irish, IMHO :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Ok, it's 125 euro a bottle, but it's worth every cent!
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...