Top 20 Goth Tracks - according to NME

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Gary
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

emilystrange
Above the Chemist

lol, so they have no idea what they're on about.
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Casar
Road Kill

Interesting, thanks. The Vulgarians wasn´t on it, so that is pretty weird to me.
silentNate

I can't say there is anything in that list I actively dislike but then I'm not a Goth :innocent:
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
Casar
Road Kill

silentNate wrote:I can't say there is anything in that list I actively dislike but then I'm not a Goth :innocent:
Most of those bands aren´t goth either. That´s just a fashion thing.
Ramone

On inspection, this has to be one of the laziest pieces of journalism I've read in a long time. From sighting 'This Corrosion' as an iconic Goth song above Temple of Love to the Cult's She Sells Sanctuary, which to many was never a 'Goth song' by a band who were never really, in many peoples eyes, a 'Goth band'.

Yes, like 'Rock' music with it's many tentacles ranging from Hard, Soft, Speed, Death,Folk, Ambient - Goth could be and was compartmentalised into factions also. But some times, ya have to face the truth, if it doesn't walk like a Goth, sound like a Goth or look like a Goth - it ain't Goth! And the Cult - weren't Goth! They were a rock band. And a pretty limp one at that.

Which brings me to The Manic Street Preachers, the only part of this band's history that could even remotely come close to being associated with goth was the word 'Manic' and that one of them threw a seven off a bridge and killed himself - allegedly ! Now that's Goth!

But to leave out The m*****n, TFOTN and some of the second and even third wave of Goth bands is just lazy.(Unless he's counting Interpol as a goth band). I'm surprised he didn't put the Smiths in there on the basis they were angst ridden and maudlin !

If they brought this out as CD free with a Sunday Newspaper - the publisher responsible would be hung drawn and quartered and the offending discs burnt of a bonfire with an effigy of Tony James atop.
"It was great that Kurt Cobain shot himself when he did..cos without that ,we'd have no Foo Fighters today" :Ramone, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever. November 2008
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

TSOM 'goulish'????? Oh please :roll:

Having (painfully) read this pile of rubbish, it would appear that anything containing a hint of what might be interpreted as angst, existential or otherwise, is by definition 'goth'. Arrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!

Whoever issued this idiot his credentials should revoke them, immediately, with extreme prejudice :evil:
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

WRONG
Nationalise the f**king lot.
Syberberg

It would appear that even the NME is no longer taking itself seriously anymore either. Still, it's always nice to see where the aspiring writers for Hello, The Sun, et al go to get their industry experience.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

My Chemical Romance?
The Manic Street Preachers?

Bah!
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
silentNate

Can someone please post a defrinition of 'goth' as I remain baffled. My old glass container of tomato relish has a black ring around the neck- is it goth?? :? :lol:
I had a hand on the gun
DieAntagonistin
Road Kill

Oh deary deary me. That list just...hurts. The pain! The agony! Seriously, this has to be one of the worst articles in the history of music journalism. I found those Most gothic moments quite amusing and enlightening though. :lol:

(NME's idea of goth is obviously similar to the philosophy of fat tweens jumping around in black tees saying "Goth chick" in sparkly pink letters. :?)
Ich bin ziemlich klein, ziemlich zerbrechlich... kein guter Ficker.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

silentNate wrote:Can someone please post a defrinition of 'goth' as I remain baffled. My old glass container of tomato relish has a black ring around the neck- is it goth?? :? :lol:
Clearly YES!
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
silentNate

I had a hand on the gun
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

silentNate wrote:Image
ImageImageImage
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

The Holy Bible is one of the darkest most depressing and f**king excellent albums ever recorded.

But it aint goffik ;D
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
boudicca
Sister Midnight

weebleswobble wrote:The Holy Bible is one of the darkest most depressing and f**king excellent albums ever recorded.

But it aint goffik ;D
As it was my favourite record when I was 13, for me it was a "gateway drug" :wink:

It's not Goth, but the track they put in that list (The Intense Humming Of Evil) does have something of a gothic sound. Still think the enemeee are barking mad though...
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
psichonaut
Overbomber

This Corrosion? goth?
what tf of idea i have of what goth is?
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
nodubmanshouts

Sorry if this offends anyone, BUT....

NME is read by wankers. Wankers who think they know about music. They think they know about music because they read the NME. To all intents and purposes, all they know about music comes from the NME.

This article exists to give them some "goth" knowledge. Lo, NME readers would actually go out and buy a "goth" album because its just not cool.

So this little article exists to help NME readers have a view on something they know nothing about.

Ignore it. Its not for us. Its for them.

Bring back Sounds.... :D :D :D
DerekR
Doobie Brother

weebleswobble wrote:The Holy Bible is one of the darkest most depressing and f**king excellent albums ever recorded.

But it aint goffik ;D
Well there ye go....I thought it was wank :lol:

Gimme Generation Terrorists any day, now THERE'S an album :notworthy:
Syberberg

nodubmanshouts wrote:Sorry if this offends anyone, BUT....
Not in the slightest, I completely agree with you. The only thing that was ever good about the NME was the classified section and gig listings. Otherwise, not worth bothering with. Ever.

Although I'm sure that when it first went into print (the 1960's?) it was actually worth reading, but like pretty much all the music press (especially in the UK) it just became toilet paper covered in newsprint.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

nodubmanshouts wrote:NME is read by wankers. Wankers who think they know about music. They think they know about music because they read the NME. To all intents and purposes, all they know about music comes from the NME.
:notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

nodubmanshouts wrote:So this little article exists to help NME readers have a view on something they know nothing about.
And this. :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Harvey Winston
Amphetamine Filth

Is the NME still going? I thought it had gone bust. It will this year I expect.
sultan2075
Overbomber

nodubmanshouts wrote:Sorry if this offends anyone, BUT....

NME is read by wankers. Wankers who think they know about music. They think they know about music because they read the NME. To all intents and purposes, all they know about music comes from the NME.

So it's a vicious circle of wankerdom, then? Wankers begetting wankers who in turn develop more wankery because they read the NME? Doesn't this raise the horrifying possibility of a wanker resonance cascade, plunging the entire earth into an overload of wankers? Something should be done.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.