Far Parade

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
A_H
Road Kill
Posts: 14
Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 12:41

stufarq wrote:
A_H wrote:The Tempest famously being Shakespeare's last play
His last surviving play. That he wrote alone. Maybe.

The lost play Cardenio, if Shakespeare actually wrote it (alone or in collaboration with john Fletcher) is usually dated later than The Tempest.

Henry VIII and The Two Noble Kinsmen, both generally accepted to have been collaborations with Fletcher, are also widely thought to be later.

And the dating of The Tempest (and a lot of Shakespeare's other plays) involves a lot of assumption, with scholars agreeing that it's impossible to say with any certainty whether it was written before or after The Winter's Tale and/or Cymbeline.
Yes. No. Quite right. I was being lazy. For "famously" read "reputedly".
User avatar
Being645
Above the Chemist
Posts: 12591
Joined: 09 Apr 2009, 12:54
Location: reconstruction status: 76,8%

Welcome A_H, btw ... :) ...

Laziness is nothing strange here ... except for complaining, nagging, rectifying ... * sigh ...
A_H
Road Kill
Posts: 14
Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 12:41

Being645 wrote:Welcome A_H, btw ... :) ...

Laziness is nothing strange here ... except for complaining, nagging, rectifying ... * sigh ...
Aw. Thank you very much.

Although, TBH I was feeling a bit lazy for not having offered more of an explanation/context re: "absolute Milan", let alone the "last play" thing...
User avatar
Being645
Above the Chemist
Posts: 12591
Joined: 09 Apr 2009, 12:54
Location: reconstruction status: 76,8%

A_H wrote:
Being645 wrote:Welcome A_H, btw ... :) ...

Laziness is nothing strange here ... except for complaining, nagging, rectifying ... * sigh ...
Aw. Thank you very much.

Although, TBH I was feeling a bit lazy for not having offered more of an explanation/context re: "absolute Milan", let alone the "last play" thing...
The fact that nobody else has even asked what "absolutely Milan" could stand for and
where it derives from does show that you are surely one of the less lazy individuals ... ;D :lol: ...

I find it remarkable, that Von made use of that phrase referring to Far Parade ... hihi ...
chosing an expression someone thought up centuries ago does also fit on various levels, typical Sisters ... ;D ...

When you look around you will notice that it's somewhat the same with the "last play" thing ... so no need to worry ... :lol: ...

Also, I really enjoyed and appreciated reading the epilogue ... :notworthy: ...
User avatar
markfiend
goriller of form 3b
Posts: 20342
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 10:55
Location: st custards
Contact:

"Our revels now are ended"...
advanced, forthright, signifficant
A_H
Road Kill
Posts: 14
Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 12:41

Being645 wrote: I find it remarkable, that Von made use of that phrase referring to Far Parade...
chosing an expression someone thought up centuries ago does also fit on various levels, typical Sisters...
It reminds me of what he says in the foreword to Postcards From Above the Chemist:

"...the King James Bible, Shakespeare and all the rest. These are in my bloodstream, often as much of a curse as a blessing..."

"There should be room for any number of layers in a song [or quote, apparently]... I write from a philologist's point of view, and as someone who has read a lot of stuff, although I hope you don't have to have read a lot of stuff to appreciate them in context. Any references should be a bonus for the like-minded, and it's sufficient for one of us to have a vague idea why the mere sound of a certain word does things to the psyche, resonates when set against another, and so on"

For what it's worth, I'm not really sure what Von's driving at when he describes Far Parade as "even more absolutely Milan" than Under the Gun. It seems to chime with the above-quoted sentiments: there'll be several levels to it - the grammatically tortured quote; the allusions that quote conjures of usurpation, the need for absolute control/power, overweening ambition and so forth...; then the conjuration or Milan itself as a place and as an idea; then, doubtless some personal reference/in-joke related to either city or quote... - but whether that adds up to a hill of beans, or whether it's just a nice phrase that he chucked in because it sounds good and 'might help to confuse' us, is, and will probably remain, anyone's guess.


Sorry, this has gone a bit off-topic...
User avatar
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop
Posts: 3209
Joined: 19 Jan 2008, 17:09
Location: my own imagination

A_H wrote:Yes. No. Quite right. I was being lazy.
'Salright. I was being pedantic.
A_H wrote:Sorry, this has gone a bit off-topic...
It always does. More fun that way.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker
Posts: 4507
Joined: 11 Jul 2002, 01:00

so now we have an episode of family guy, in the style of Larkin, retelling big Will's alleged last play

Cool :lol:
Empathy is wasted by nice people
User avatar
Being645
Above the Chemist
Posts: 12591
Joined: 09 Apr 2009, 12:54
Location: reconstruction status: 76,8%

paint it black wrote:so now we have an episode of family guy, in the style of Larkin, retelling big Will's alleged last play

Cool :lol:
Someone on hiatus at the moment would probably say: "I prophesy desaster" ... :wink:
User avatar
Being645
Above the Chemist
Posts: 12591
Joined: 09 Apr 2009, 12:54
Location: reconstruction status: 76,8%

A_H wrote:
Being645 wrote: I find it remarkable, that Von made use of that phrase referring to Far Parade...
chosing an expression someone thought up centuries ago does also fit on various levels, typical Sisters...
It reminds me of what he says in the foreword to Postcards From Above the Chemist:

"...the King James Bible, Shakespeare and all the rest. These are in my bloodstream, often as much of a curse as a blessing..."

"There should be room for any number of layers in a song [or quote, apparently]... I write from a philologist's point of view, and as someone who has read a lot of stuff, although I hope you don't have to have read a lot of stuff to appreciate them in context. Any references should be a bonus for the like-minded, and it's sufficient for one of us to have a vague idea why the mere sound of a certain word does things to the psyche, resonates when set against another, and so on"
Oh yes, I love that foreword. Also it's a wonderful book! Anyway, I just can't relax as much as to reading anything deeply nowadays.
So often enough, I gotta rely on my capacity of merely having resonate consonants, vowels, grammar, sound and my personal storage
to imagine a bit of an idea.

A_H wrote: For what it's worth, I'm not really sure what Von's driving at when he describes Far Parade as "even more absolutely Milan" than Under the Gun. It seems to chime with the above-quoted sentiments: there'll be several levels to it - the grammatically tortured quote; the allusions that quote conjures of usurpation, the need for absolute control/power, overweening ambition and so forth...; then the conjuration or Milan itself as a place and as an idea; then, doubtless some personal reference/in-joke related to either city or quote...
I could hardly express it better and probably not like that at all ... :notworthy: ... About any personal reference/in-joke, I have no idea, either.
Milan is known as "the moral centre" of Italy. In addition, it's been the place from where Mussolini started his "March to Rome".

IMHO, Under The Gun represents a complete loss of believe in love within the cultural and moral environment we encounter, turning to the conventionally decided opposite of loving behaviour, i.e. destruction, out of despair and violating the "rule". In that context, I really appreciate your quote of " usurpation, the need for absolute control/power, overweening ambition" as within relations all such motivations are widely accepted under the name of love while in effect equating usage, exploitation along emotion and (make-)belief. Everything is in order to achieve societal success and thus - recognition. At times and in former times anyway, the major purpose of - marriage, as is the term.

Far Parade goes way further. The protagonist has long given up: the belief in his own capacities, the believe in other peoples' will and means to communicate at a substantial level, the hope for some real intimacy and recognition. Still, he sees no escape from complying with certain roles to uphold an existence; and he's used to accepting the "circumstances", developed a few means of countenance. An observer-player, withdrawn, starving slowly, deeply weakened after a series of vain hopes and efforts.
He watches "society" with frustration, disappointment, boredom and distaste. He feels (and is) excluded along societal conventions, while at the same time he excludes himself. Out of contempt and disgust for said conventions, he is unable to participate in common events of recreation, entertainment, pleasure or in emerging movements, that might address basic societal ills, for relations mean progress (or not), mean money (or not), mean love (or not), all of the "common" corrupted/corrupting kind. Everything has become a cheap business following the ever same rules like some standard group dance and its spectators, where recognition accounts for nothing but achievement, assessment and reward determining the inclusion/exclusion/chances for participation of the individiual which in itself doesn't have any value at all.

So far my impression at first sight ... - but whether "that adds up to a hill of beans" or might contribute to clearing things up ... I leave upon you to evaluate that in context ... :wink: ...

A_H wrote: Sorry, this has gone a bit off-topic...
Not at all ... :wink: ...
Btw, did you ever notice that the paralysing loss of motivation, hope and perpective is called laziness mostly by those who are too lazy to spend any effort on others beyond taking the best of them? Thus often enough causing the "laziness" they love to complain about. IMHO, the whole term is such a useful nasty little means of emotional blackmail ... :urff: :wink: ...
User avatar
Elystan
Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 107
Joined: 01 Apr 2010, 13:33

Being645 wrote:
I think, Andrew left Crowley a long time ago - and fortunately so.
To me it always seemed, he'd forced himself into it in order to cope with
... whatever. And because he was recommended to do so.
But this is merely a guess. Anyway, it has cost him a lot. - And it's past.

...
I don't think he was ever there.The craig adams version of fix peddles cheap occultism, as do most of the worthless sisters clones out there, but :von: never bought into that stuff. Pass the crystal spread the tarot in illusion comfort lies.
User avatar
Elystan
Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 107
Joined: 01 Apr 2010, 13:33

Being645 wrote:
Far Parade goes way further. The protagonist has long given up: the belief in his own capacities, the believe in other peoples' will and means to communicate at a substantial level, the hope for some real intimacy and recognition. Still, he sees no escape from complying with certain roles to uphold an existence; and he's used to accepting the "circumstances", developed a few means of countenance. An observer-player, withdrawn, starving slowly, deeply weakened after a series of vain hopes and efforts.
He watches "society" with frustration, disappointment, boredom and distaste. He feels (and is) excluded along societal conventions, while at the same time he excludes himself. Out of contempt and disgust for said conventions, he is unable to participate in common events of recreation, entertainment, pleasure or in emerging movements, that might address basic societal ills, for relations mean progress (or not), mean money (or not), mean love (or not), all of the "common" corrupted/corrupting kind. Everything has become a cheap business following the ever same rules like some standard group dance and its spectators, where recognition accounts for nothing but achievement, assessment and reward determining the inclusion/exclusion/chances for participation of the individiual which in itself doesn't have any value at all.
Dunno how this relates to the song but I certainly relate to it
User avatar
Being645
Above the Chemist
Posts: 12591
Joined: 09 Apr 2009, 12:54
Location: reconstruction status: 76,8%

Elystan wrote:
Being645 wrote:
I think, Andrew left Crowley a long time ago ...
I don't think he was ever there.The craig adams version of fix peddles cheap occultism, as do most of the worthless sisters clones out there, but :von: never bought into that stuff. Pass the crystal spread the tarot in illusion comfort lies.
Well, I guess even those worthless sisters clones have learned the lesson by now ... anyway, there was no way around it at the time. It is just on one's way when growing up ... and some usually get a bit deeper into it ... ending up in nasty games like placing dolls with broken legs in you letterbox ... which clearly has nothing to do with crystal balls or tarot, or Crowley ... :wink:
Elystan wrote:
Being645 wrote:
Far Parade ...
Dunno how this relates to the song but I certainly relate to it.
Yeah, quite common a syndrome ... and not so easy to overcome ... :wink:
User avatar
Guedzilla
Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 127
Joined: 30 Jan 2007, 19:25
Location: At the place where the bars never close (not that soon, at least)
Contact:

A_H wrote:
But release me from my bands

Hmm.
There, you cracked it....

:lol:


I'm with the above mentioned syndrome group.
Introducing....Gothzilla?!?
User avatar
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 503
Joined: 18 Mar 2013, 21:58
Location: Where the wild roses grow.
Contact:

I just read every post in this thread and I have to say I've exited a better man. Braindead, but better.

Anyway, anyone think there's any chance that we will hear this song? More than likely? I do hope so.. It was interesting reading everyones interpretations.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
User avatar
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop
Posts: 3209
Joined: 19 Jan 2008, 17:09
Location: my own imagination

LyanvisAberrant wrote:

Anyway, anyone think there's any chance that we will hear this song? More than likely?interpretations.
No. They may perform it but no-one will hear it.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
User avatar
Being645
Above the Chemist
Posts: 12591
Joined: 09 Apr 2009, 12:54
Location: reconstruction status: 76,8%

LyanvisAberrant wrote:I just read every post in this thread and I have to say I've exited a better man. Braindead, but better.
ImageImageImage ... :notworthy: :notworthy: ... I've noted that, LyanvisAberrant ... :lol: ...
Suleiman
Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 128
Joined: 19 Nov 2003, 11:24
Location: Just South of Babel

The parade could be a parade of horribles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parade_of_horribles

The irony being that the worse did happen.
Suleiman
Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 128
Joined: 19 Nov 2003, 11:24
Location: Just South of Babel

...and the "Distant men and women form a line and dance in time" are ghosts or bodies of the victims of the war he was arguing against.

Quite literally forming a 'Parade of horribles'.
Post Reply