Heartland Forum Index
       FAQ      Rules      Search      Paypal Donation      Photo Gallery      Sisters Wiki   
   Register · Profile · Log in to check your private messages · View New Posts · Usergroups · Memberlist · Statistics  
   Follow us on   Twitter    Facebook · Log in  
The Sisters at Sonisphere - 8th-10th July 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Heartland Forum Index -> Sisters 2010/2011 Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Drenchrom
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 502

PostPost #251  Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

playboy wrote:
This clip from a review however, I find perfectly true....

"The Sisters Of Mercy have never had a shining reputation when it comes to performing live. These eyes have seen them on numerous occasions and each time the sound was muddy with the crowd only able to snatch bits of melody when the speakers allowed. What never helps is if a band messes with their songs..."

Am I surprised?



ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Were you there? If not i wouldn't believe all you read. Always searching for the negative some people.

Matt..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Drenchrom
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 502

PostPost #252  Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is more like the gig i went to.

http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4143122-sonisphere-2011--the-dis-review

Matt..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
playboy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth


Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Posts: 335

PostPost #253  Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Drenchrom wrote:
playboy wrote:
This clip from a review however, I find perfectly true....

"The Sisters Of Mercy have never had a shining reputation when it comes to performing live. These eyes have seen them on numerous occasions and each time the sound was muddy with the crowd only able to snatch bits of melody when the speakers allowed. What never helps is if a band messes with their songs..."

Am I surprised?



ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Were you there? If not i wouldn't believe all you read. Always searching for the negative some people.

Matt..


I wasnīt there. Of course the sound was superb. And of course the sound will NOT be superb by the time I get to see them in Sweden in november.

I love Sisters. have done so since 1984. I search for positive reviews, believe me, I would LOVE to read a review that said that the sound was amazing, that you actually could hear Andrew, and that they didnīt mess with their songs (playing half of More, speedy versions of most old songs, playing half Lucretia, playing half Temple Of Love).
And by that I donīt want to hear that review from a hardcore fan. Have heard many reviews from hardcore fans saying that the sound was perfect for example in Denmark 2006. I was there. What a joke.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
playboy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth


Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Posts: 335

PostPost #254  Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Drenchrom wrote:
This is more like the gig i went to.

http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4143122-sonisphere-2011--the-dis-review

Matt..


If you compare their sound today to the sound from 1984-1993, is it better today and if so, what is better?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Drenchrom
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 502

PostPost #255  Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't say the sound was superb, it was a good sound for a festival. Surely the band are allowed to do what they want with the songs, if you want them to sound like the records then they never will, they never have. As they say these are two different mediums.

Why should i compare the sound from the early 90s ( i first saw them at Wembley and was rather underwhelmed by it all), i can't compare the 80s gigs as i was too young.

I've seen some shockers too believe me. I don't think the guy from Drowned In Sound is a hardcore fan, i think it was someone who had a great time and didn't go with any pre-conceived ideas of what he was going to get.

At the end of the day i don't think you'll be happy whatever they pull out of the bag. I hope the Swedish gig is good for you i really do. Everyone has different opinions of the sound at gigs, one person may say awful but someone else may have the time of their life.

On that note...time to go i think...

Matt..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mh
Underneath the Rock


Joined: 23 Jun 2003
Posts: 7232
Location: A city built on rock 'n' roll

PostPost #256  Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

None of this should be any big deal. Bands evolve. Sometimes they evolve in a direction that maintains compatibility with your tastes and sometimes they don't. That's roundabout all there is to it.
_________________
Trigonometry. It's a sin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jay
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth


Joined: 02 Nov 2003
Posts: 485
Location: Liverpool

PostPost #257  Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Drenchrom wrote:
Some pictures from the Festival (not mine):

http://www.safeconcerts.com/photos/sonisphere/2011/sisters-of-mercy.asp

Matt..


Nice Swatch, this one i believe...
http://eu-shop.swatch.com/GB/EN/Watches/Irony/Chrono/FULL_BLOODED_GREEN-SVCK4043AG.aspx
_________________
I no longer get very wrought up over the liminals

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth


Joined: 29 Jan 2010
Posts: 894

PostPost #258  Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

playboy wrote:

I love Sisters. have done so since 1984. I search for positive reviews, believe me, I would LOVE to read a review that said that the sound was amazing, that you actually could hear Andrew, and that they didnīt mess with their songs (playing half of More, speedy versions of most old songs, playing half Lucretia, playing half Temple Of Love).
And by that I donīt want to hear that review from a hardcore fan. Have heard many reviews from hardcore fans saying that the sound was perfect for example in Denmark 2006. I was there. What a joke.


I'm not a hardcore fan, and when I'd seen them this february the sound was fine. You could hear Eldritch very well. I don't know if they "messed" with their songs, in my book, he can do with his own songs whatever he wants. Going to a concert is not like you are throwing money at a monkey so he will do some tricks to please you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
radiojamaica
Overbomber


Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Posts: 4796
Location: Tower of Bass

PostPost #259  Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Drenchrom wrote:
This is more like the gig i went to.

http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4143122-sonisphere-2011--the-dis-review

Matt..


Nice review! Finally some words about the other bands too It wasn't me...

What other gigs did you guys & girls like? You didn't only go see The Sisters I hope Mr. Green
_________________
in dub we trust
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber


Joined: 05 May 2002
Posts: 1764
Location: Glasgow

PostPost #260  Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

radiojamaica wrote:
You didn't only go see The Sisters I hope Mr. Green


Er, yes Smile
_________________
RIP Dale: 1994 - 2009
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
_emma_
Overbomber


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 2015

PostPost #261  Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Andrew S wrote:
radiojamaica wrote:
You didn't only go see The Sisters I hope Mr. Green


Er, yes Smile

*nod*
I did have a 3-day ticket, but mostly because it included the camping. Mr. Green
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Drenchrom
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 502

PostPost #262  Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I saw bits and pieces, Paradise Lost, Gojira, Mars Volta and the odd band i didn't know.

Matt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Being645
Above the Chemist


Joined: 09 Apr 2009
Posts: 10802
Location: ... where all the fevers grow ...

PostPost #263  Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Anybody seen the Motörhead gig ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
playboy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth


Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Posts: 335

PostPost #264  Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sita wrote:
playboy wrote:

I love Sisters. have done so since 1984. I search for positive reviews, believe me, I would LOVE to read a review that said that the sound was amazing, that you actually could hear Andrew, and that they didnīt mess with their songs (playing half of More, speedy versions of most old songs, playing half Lucretia, playing half Temple Of Love).
And by that I donīt want to hear that review from a hardcore fan. Have heard many reviews from hardcore fans saying that the sound was perfect for example in Denmark 2006. I was there. What a joke.


I'm not a hardcore fan, and when I'd seen them this february the sound was fine. You could hear Eldritch very well. I don't know if they "messed" with their songs, in my book, he can do with his own songs whatever he wants. Going to a concert is not like you are throwing money at a monkey so he will do some tricks to please you.


I am not sure what fine sound means in terms of Sisters.. Some migh say it is fine even if you have to try very hard to hear Andrew and since we are not able to see that much at least ot would be good to HEAR. Another problem besides the sound is of course the performance. Chris is doing a good job but there are one too many misstakes from Ben I think. He should learn the songs a little better before touring. Maybe a lot doesnīt notice or even care, but it is slightly arrogant to a paying audience.
Donīt get me wrong and jump on me all at once, I respect Ben and he is a good guitarist, however it is more important to hold the songs together more than before when they had a live bassist and the drums were louder and did the job.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
radiojamaica
Overbomber


Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Posts: 4796
Location: Tower of Bass

PostPost #265  Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

_emma_ wrote:
Andrew S wrote:
radiojamaica wrote:
You didn't only go see The Sisters I hope Mr. Green


Er, yes Smile

*nod*
I did have a 3-day ticket, but mostly because it included the camping. Mr. Green



Why didn't I see that one coming?! Laughing We are not worthy!
_________________
in dub we trust
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth


Joined: 31 Jan 2002
Posts: 654
Location: East Yorkshire

PostPost #266  Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Spoke to a friend today who went to Sonisphere to see some of his fave metal bands but only had a loose interest in the Sisters. I'd told him that he had to check them out if he got the chance & he said that he'd try.

When I caught up with him this morning he said that he'd been unable to get into the Sisters tent after watching Slipnot on another stage. Apparantly the girls tent was packed to bursting & security were turning masses of people away.
_________________
Give me one good reason
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
_emma_
Overbomber


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 2015

PostPost #267  Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yup, that's what it looked like, because they were the only band who were playing at that time of night. The tent was just too small.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker


Joined: 11 Jul 2002
Posts: 4349

PostPost #268  Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

_emma_ wrote:
Yup, that's what it looked like, because they were the only band who were playing at that time of night. The tent was just too small.


good job you were queuing from dawn then Laughing We are not worthy! We are not worthy!
_________________
Goths are people too..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
_emma_
Overbomber


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 2015

PostPost #269  Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I wasn't queueing, a queue is an orderly thing and a nice passtime compared to this, I was more like squeezed and pushed and trying to duck from the crowdsurfers above my head, gradually making my way forward whenever somebody in front of me was dragged up and away by the security. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock


Joined: 22 Aug 2004
Posts: 7102
Location: Soon over Babaluma

PostPost #270  Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Spiggy's hat wrote:
Apparantly the girls tent was packed to bursting & security were turning masses of people away.

That was the story with most if not all in-tent gigs Wierded Out At one point there were oodles of space inside but they still closed it down. Not a pretty image when one entrance was opened up Confused
_________________
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth


Joined: 29 Jan 2010
Posts: 894

PostPost #271  Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi playboy, I just wrote "fine", because I thought Iggy + The Stooges last year sounded so mindblowing amazing that it spoiled me forever. Additionally I'm afraid "fine" means "average" in English, but that's not what I meant, I guess I was thinking in my language where "fein" means pleasant.
I know it sucks big time when you go to a concert and it is a downer. But the two Sisters shows I've seen in february were great. After I heard many skeptic opinions about Eldritch's voice, I was especially thrilled that his voice was just brilliant.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber


Joined: 24 Jan 2009
Posts: 1243
Location: Kirkby in Ashfield,England

PostPost #272  Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nice review in Metal Hammer of the Soni gig.

MetalHammer wrote:
Sole original member,the former leather clad rock God Andrew Eldritch is dressed in neon yellow allowing smoke and lighting to create more atmosphere than the music.Their "greatest hits" are little more than goth karaoke over dance remixes that lack the drama and intensity of their original incarnations.Almost as disappointing as GN'R's reformation 5/10



James,is that you?
_________________
"I’ve seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost




we fall to rise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker


Joined: 11 Jul 2002
Posts: 4349

PostPost #273  Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As this is back to the top Sonisphere 2011 was on Sky Arts last night. Haven't watched it yet
_________________
Goths are people too..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mav787
One life, all I need


Joined: 19 Feb 2011
Posts: 642
Location: Liverpool

PostPost #274  Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

They're weren't on the Sky Arts programme (unless it was in the first 15 minutes which I haven't watched yet). No bands playing in the tent were shown.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ania
Road Kill


Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 92

PostPost #275  Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ribbons69 wrote:
Nice review in Metal Hammer of the Soni gig.

MetalHammer wrote:
Sole original member,the former leather clad rock God Andrew Eldritch is dressed in neon yellow allowing smoke and lighting to create more atmosphere than the music.Their "greatest hits" are little more than goth karaoke over dance remixes that lack the drama and intensity of their original incarnations.Almost as disappointing as GN'R's reformation 5/10




That was UK's Metal Hammer... the Polish Metal Hammer review is a lot different!! I think SOME of the press got slightly annoyed with the band because of a) the delay - all the photographers had to wait at least 10 minutes to be allowed in the pit to take photos - it was late, they wanted to finish work and start partying and b) someone's fake and ironic smiles and then his middle finger Smile I heard so many comments... However, comparing TSOM to GNRs' reformation - not fair, to say the least...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Heartland Forum Index -> Sisters 2010/2011 Tours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

 


Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB Đ 2001, 2002 phpBB Group  ·  Heartland supports phpBBHacks.com
Theme and Graphics by Quiff Boy, Tim Blackman and those nice people at ibplanet.com