London - Roundhouse - November 2011

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2010 Sisters dates and the 2011 30th Anniversary tour
Black_Dahlia
Elegantly Wasted

Mav787 wrote:
But that's what makes it so much fun following this band, everyone has their own opinion :D
Hear hear! Mind you I felt like I'd died and gone to heaven just because they did Neverland.
Hell is other people.
Peege
Road Kill

Sorry, I know I'm gonna upset a few of you now, but I must've been at a different gig. I stood right next to the sound engineer's station, and from there the sound was terrible.

I tried moving around - admittedly, only at the back - but anywhere I stood there was no improvement. I could hear the Dok loud and clear, but the vocals were largely inaudible, and the rest was just a wall of unintelligible sound. When I could hear something more specific - like the piano in More - it was TOO loud in the mix.

Very disappointed.

http://chillthepartyband.blogspot.com/
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Well it's nice of you to include a link to your (obviously superior) band in there, eh?

;D Just joshing you, you're entitled to your opinion.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Peege
Road Kill

Yep, I thought I might get a bit of a slagging for that bit of shameless promotion! :lol:

But honestly, I only put it in there as a link to the blog I'd already written about Sunday night.

Truth is, my wife and I have been long time fans of The Sisters, but neither of us have ever had the opportunity to see them live, and these tickets were my 50th Birthday gift to her. There's a fair amount of comments on here and elsewhere comparing this gig to other gigs, and maybe this one was better than others, but we've got nothing else but the CDs to compare it against.

It just seemed to me that the sound engineer sacrificed clarity for punch.
Mav787
One life, all I need

Peege wrote: It just seemed to me that the sound engineer sacrificed clarity for punch.
Yep, but we like punch :)

This sound engineer is a master at his work compared to ones we've had in the past.

If you watch some of the YouTube videos from Dublin & London you can see that Von is actually singing (ok sometimes he yelps) rather than the mumbling of days gone by. This is a very good thing.
Peege
Road Kill

All I know is that I've seen some very loud bands in similar sized venues (Deep Purple at Brixton Academy, for instance) where I've been able to hear everything as clear as day.

And in theory, it should be a lot easier to get a great sound using a drum machine than with acoustic drums.
Dr Poo
Amphetamine Filth

But Ian Paice is a very loud singer.

Von is not, hence the problem.
avaritia
Road Kill

godgirl wrote: Anyway, if one song could/should be dropped occasionally, I'll vote for Flood II. It really gets old after 100+ times!
Lol I totally disagree, I could hear them play Flood II a 1000+ times and it would still be one of my favourites, plus it gives a convenient opportunity to cool down if it is between some of the more energetic songs :lol:

I missed the inclusion of (We are the same) Suzanne, if they want to drop one of the older unreleased songs from the set, I would prefer it to be Summer.

Arms is definitely growing on me, but my Roundhouse gig highlight was the guilty pleasure of singing along to This Corrosion, it was really rocking :D
& I'm so pleased someone caught some decent footage of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDm7OEtoyAc
Peege
Road Kill

I know you mean that Ian Gillan is a loud singer.

I know how hard it is for a vocalist like Mr Eldritch to project - I had to sing Temple Of Love as the first dance at a wedding once, and it was pretty tough to be heard.

All the same, drop the Dok's kick drum down a bit, compress the vocal...job done.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Me: "Possession!!!"
Eldritch: "Thank you for your request. That's really gonna work..."

:lol:
centurionofprix
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I love the sound balance the way it is, Eldritch rumbling and howling in the middle of rather than on top of the instrumental maelstrom.
Mav787
One life, all I need

centurionofprix wrote:I love the sound balance the way it is, Eldritch rumbling and howling in the middle of rather than on top of the instrumental maelstrom.
I'm with you 100%
Bahamas
Road Kill

I have been to more SOM gigs than some of you and less than others. But in terms of raw sound this is simply the best I have heard them in years. This was better than the Lemmington Spa gig . Plus I had friend’s seating in upstairs who said the same things and these were people who vowed never to see them again after the last disaster in London.

Nice to see them on such great form. Plus I took my daughter to her first SOM gig. Great night out.
sisters-pics
Road Kill

Some pics are online now:

http://www.sisters-pics.de
Bahamas
Road Kill

Thanks. Great pictures.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Wonderful stuff! Great venue (one of the best I ever visited!), fantastic company, band on fire & soundwise no less than sensational!

Thanx to everybody for the good vibes before, during & after the gig :notworthy: :D :notworthy:
in dub we trust
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

silentNate wrote:Bitterly disappointed that they didn't end with Top night Out... I was getting used to it as a tradition :(
Pretty surethey haven't played it at all this year,and it was never the last song anyway. It seems to have been replaced with the surf guitar of Pipeline.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Anyway,on to the important stuff,new merch! The year started badly in Leeds for the avid shirt collector,on the first night we had a rubbish version of the Alice shirt,with no backprint,the second night added a less than impressive Vision Thing shirt,again with no backprint. Glasgow saw the welcome return of some old Reptile House classics,f**k Me/Gift/Hot Metal all with proper Reptile House backprints,but the band outdid themselves in London with a new Hoody,a new version of the old Some Girls shirt,and a 81-11 Reptile House shirt. And patches!
For me though,the main surprise was the reintroduction of the "old" Head and Star logo,if memory serves,that hasn't appeared on a new design since Utterly Bastard Groovy back in the 90's.

New Hoody,embossed print like the Utterly shirt had.

Reptile House,

Overbombing.

Patches (as a pack of three )

"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"

we fall to rise
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

My first ever attempt at a live video. Alice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zclvfiaDkj0

we fall to rise
robertzombie
Overbomber

Oo I didn't know they'd had a Vision Thing shirt on sale at the second Leeds gig, I'd love to see it!
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

robertzombie wrote:Oo I didn't know they'd had a Vision Thing shirt on sale at the second Leeds gig, I'd love to see it!
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Back home a bit later than planned due to fog preventing my to fly back home yesterday afternoon. Luckily, London's not the city to get bored with easily :D Tired I am though after an amazing weekend like this one!

The London gig, I think, might well be my most favourite Sisters gig to date. Perfect venue, perfect atmosphere, great crowd, fantastic people to meet up with before and after and during, I could go on. I guess saying I can still feel it all through my body says more than enough.

Thanks everyone in general and you specifically!

Now, Groningen seems ever more tempting after this ;D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
paul
Overbomber

sisters-pics wrote:Some pics are online now:

http://www.sisters-pics.de
very nice pics!!! Thanx!
originalgoth

Thanks for all the reviews & videos.
It does seem that it was a Top Nite Out, I wish I was there.
And I ride down the Highway 101
By the side of the ocean, headed for Sunset

Black Planet according to originalGoth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hYeYgNIntQ
Sita

ribbons69 wrote: For me though,the main surprise was the reintroduction of the "old" Head and Star logo [...]
I already noticed that on the photos yesterday. Ecstatic! So glad that a kind heart (aka sisters pics :D ) is willing to secure me pins in Zurich :notworthy:

Now all I am still left to dream of is a classic girlie shirt...