John Lydon talking about the Sisters

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
pikkrong
Overbomber

do i drive
or am i driven
pikkrong
Overbomber

4:40 onwards
do i drive
or am i driven
silentNate
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Does the interviewer refer to North Wales as being in England shortly after Lydon makes some inane and ultimately pathetic comment about 'gothic rock' :oops: :lol:
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
Sita

Oh dear, but he doesn't even talk about the Sisters, and there are no bats in the This Corrosion video.

It's just that trite old situation where two people who are too lazy to even look at what they are talking about are ruffling each other's balls.
结庐在人境,而无车马喧。问君何能尔?心远地自偏。
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Sita wrote:It's just that trite old situation where two people who are too lazy to even look at what they are talking about are ruffling each other's balls.
:eek: Are you allowed to do that on TV?
iesus
Overbomber

There is an incredible number of videos from tv shows all around the planet that this happens to all tv shows, some kind of mainstream ;D
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

nothing new from Mr Lydon side, but as Sita pointed this- they weren't talking about TSOM but gothic rock in general.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Still I think in a slight point, he was right ... dying slowly is not a good choice ...
and The Sisters used to do everything to prevent it ... but sometimes things do get just too much ... for a while ... :twisted: :lol: ...
Anachonda
Road Kill

I think Von would agree with Mr. Rotten, hence his fight to not be seen as the Dark Overlord.
Turn into a china doll maybe go to the final ride
Baby go where I don’t follow baby to the other side
pikkrong
Overbomber

I still think Lydon is a smart and witty man. And there is a point in his words. But it's not valid to the Sisters. Eldritch point has always been how to survive and go on in this world.
do i drive
or am i driven
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

it doesn't sound like he'd really heard/listened to the sisters, and was relying on the stereotypical image of other goth bands.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Sita

I'm not sure about that, even when I listen to pop, country or any other genre, a lot of the good songs are about the "darker" aspects of life.

And This Corrosion is neither about bats nor about suicide - I have no idea what it is about, and the video is in a typical 80s post-nuclear scenario.

To me, what they do here is really just an example of thoughtless slander. They think they are the smart guys, but actually they are just lazy and thoughtless.
iesus
Overbomber

This Corrosion is a gem. It stands for a long list of things that happened, that happens in the present time and the time to come It's better than the Apocalypse of John and more realistic. ;D
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
_emma_
Overbomber

pikkrong wrote:I still think Lydon is a smart and witty man. And there is a point in his words. But it's not valid to the Sisters. Eldritch point has always been how to survive and go on in this world.
That's how I've always understood it too. In my darkest hours, it was the Sisters' songs that made me laugh in the face of death. The kind of "goth" he's talking about is maybe more like Him, or the like? :?
iesus
Overbomber

_emma_ wrote: In my darkest hours, it was the Sisters' songs that made me laugh in the face of death.
Can't describe it better :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
Sita

You could be onto something there, Emma. Whenever I hear Vala whining his way through Summer Wine, it makes me want to kill myself ;D
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

_emma_ wrote:
pikkrong wrote:I still think Lydon is a smart and witty man. And there is a point in his words. But it's not valid to the Sisters. Eldritch point has always been how to survive and go on in this world.
That's how I've always understood it too. In my darkest hours, it was the Sisters' songs that made me laugh in the face of death. The kind of "goth" he's talking about is maybe more like Him, or the like? :?
Aye. It's also a fair call that it's the kind of tag AE has been trying to evade since the beginning.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Being645 wrote:Still I think in a slight point, he was right ... dying slowly is not a good choice ...
Ironically, Lydon would have been promoting PIL's massively undersold Happy ? album at the time (1987), which he described as being about "doom, death and destruction", which runs contrary to what he's espousing here. Dying slowly would be a suitable description of Lydon's own career post-Bollocks ...
Being645
Above the Chemist

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:
Being645 wrote:Still I think in a slight point, he was right ... dying slowly is not a good choice ...
Ironically, Lydon would have been promoting PIL's massively undersold Happy ? album at the time (1987), which he described as being about "doom, death and destruction", which runs contrary to what he's espousing here. Dying slowly would be a suitable description of Lydon's own career post-Bollocks ...
Just what I had thought as to Lydon ... :wink: ... anyway, he didn't get what The Sisters are about ...
pikkrong
Overbomber

not agree with you about Lydon. Pil is a great band, it was and still is. saw them this summer. everything he has done after Pistols has been more interesting, well, or at least most of it. musically and lyric-wise as well.
do i drive
or am i driven
pikkrong
Overbomber

Being645 wrote:anyway, he didn't get what The Sisters are about ...
agree with this one indeed.
do i drive
or am i driven
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

pikkrong wrote:not agree with you about Lydon. Pil is a great band, it was and still is. saw them this summer. everything he has done after Pistols has been more interesting, well, or at least most of it. musically and lyric-wise as well.
PiL had their moments, but I admire your ability to survive a whole live set. The guy admits to being a charlatan 50% of the time, and wants to be taken seriously the rest of the time.
And (back on topic) surely The Flowers of Romance spawned more g*th cr*p (Alien Sex Fiend et al) than the Girls.
pikkrong
Overbomber

just in case - I meant PiL, Lydon's solo album, Lydon & Leftfield - are more interesting than Pistols (IMHO). didn't say it's more interesting than the Sisters :)
do i drive
or am i driven
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

pikkrong wrote:just in case - I meant PiL, Lydon's solo album, Lydon & Leftfield - are more interesting than Pistols (IMHO). didn't say it's more interesting than the Sisters :)
:) Something we can definitely agree on. Agree about the L+L collaboration too. NMTB was sheer class though - when have a much-hyped band delivered so much since (honorable mentions for JAMC and Oasis apart - certainly not Sigue Sigue Sputnik :lol: ).
And thanks for mentioning in your original post that the relevant bit mentioning the Sisters was almost five minutes into the YouTube vid. I don't think i could have sat through five minutes of Johnny's mannered posturings.[/i]
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I saw PiL this summer and i'm agree with Indrek- he still have something to say and he's not faking when he's on stage. Furthermore, I saw more dedication in what Lydon doing on stage than in :von:. From where i was standing three times, about twice he looked like: lets do this using less energy as it possible, cash the cheque and go home; while Lydon reuinon PiL with proper band- not that Chirs or Ben are bad, i still like what Mr. Catalyst doing- for touring to raise money for record next album (what they probably doing right now).
And yes almost everything PiL did after "Album" is at least mediocre, but his solo album is something completely different.