Riff Stealing

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

RockNRoll Mercenary wrote:Those ones^ are really similar, you can even sing NTTC over the top and it fits until you get to the chorus then it changes.

I highly doubt Florence listens to the Sisters though.
R: You're so colorful!

F: I wear a lot of black. Secret goth.

you're right, a secret goth. therefore according to Von highly unlikely
Goths have feelings too
centurionofprix
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

It's a quite small thing, but an elaborated version of the minor chord major seventh riff from Confide In Me also snaked its way into War On Drugs around the time they were playing the Kylie cover.
If vampires played music, it would sound like this
Pista
Cureboi

Can't help but think Pixies' Gouge Away borrows quite a bit from Lucretia, My Reflection
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Pista wrote:Can't help but think Pixies' Gouge Away borrows quite a bit from Lucretia, My Reflection
Never noticed that. Not just the bass but the way the guitars come in. No wonder I love Gouge Away so much!
Pista
Cureboi

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:
Pista wrote:Can't help but think Pixies' Gouge Away borrows quite a bit from Lucretia, My Reflection
Never noticed that. Not just the bass but the way the guitars come in. No wonder I love Gouge Away so much!
That "shotgun" snare sound too.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Poisonheart
Road Kill

Unless I've somehow missed it in the previous pages Some Kind of Stranger is clearly a rip off of New Dawn Fades.
Poisonheart
Road Kill

and Body Electric was always a ringer for Zerox
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Poisonheart wrote:Unless I've somehow missed it in the previous pages Some Kind of Stranger is clearly a rip off of New Dawn Fades.
Very much agree
Goths have feelings too
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

paint it black wrote:
Poisonheart wrote:Unless I've somehow missed it in the previous pages Some Kind of Stranger is clearly a rip off of New Dawn Fades.
Very much agree
Yes, good call, as is the Ants one, which I'd never spotted before (but is obvious now that you mention it). :notworthy:
centurionofprix

yeah, the bassline and the chorus riffing are definitely inspired by it (although quite different in the end, SKOS ends stepwise on V for one). also the guitar part in the verse sounds a lot like that from ziggy stardust

i guess i was wrong to finger millennium as the source for arms earlier, since a similar static chugging riff appeared in tons of songs before that...
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Poisonheart wrote:and Body Electric was always a ringer for Zerox
Never noticed that before - although they both owe a debt to Scooby Doo.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
centurionofprix

it's not 1:1 but obv inspired by temple, walking with strangers by the birthday massacre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57BUcxEv_yM
Brad

Not sure if this has been mentioned before...
Siouxsie & the Banshees "Red light"

We Are The Same, Siouxsie?
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Brad wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned before...
Siouxsie & the Banshees "Red light"

We Are The Same, Siouxsie?
I've always thought U2 "New Year's Day".
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Pista
Cureboi

Just listening to Thin Lizzy & the bass riff at the start of Killer On The Loose is very similar to that in Doctor Jeep
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Ok ,I really like this and have preordered, but billed as between FALAA and God's Own Medicine, nah!

Dominion
Even the chorus sounds reminicent of something but probably not Sisters related.
Pista
Cureboi

Pat wrote:Ok ,I really like this and have preordered, but billed as between FALAA and God's Own Medicine, nah!

Dominion
Even the chorus sounds reminicent of something but probably not Sisters related.
:eek:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:
Pat wrote:Ok ,I really like this and have preordered, but billed as between FALAA and God's Own Medicine, nah!

Dominion
:eek:
I know!
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

Dominion
I would enjoy a new sisters record sounding like the mischon
love is just a shot away
Pat
Slight Overbomber

jost 7 wrote:

Dominion
I would enjoy a new sisters record sounding like the mischon
I think we're getting a new m*****n record sounding like the Sisters :innocent:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
Nork1 wrote:
RockNRoll Mercenary wrote: I highly doubt Florence listens to the Sisters though.
The way she bellows I doubt she can listen to anything.
Never understood why anyone would voluntarily listen to what I lovingly call "Florence IN The Machine"...

IZ.
Hmm. I dunno much about her/them, but why do you lot hate her so much?
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Blue Factory
Road Kill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p__BvILfp5w

kind of Marian-ish.....almost like a remix....
Guedzilla
Amphetamine Filth
Location: At the place where the bars never close (not that soon, at least)

Not that I think it is a case of riff stealing, rather coincidence, but I'm currently spooked at how similar the first 4 notes of The Church's "An Interlude" sound similar to the first 4 notes of Blood Money.

Well, they are the same 4 notes, but the whole sound is VERY similar…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LxVfXowQGc&t=875s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5S622kAGZY
Introducing....Gothzilla?!?
Lancer_MiG
Road Kill

It's true that the resemblance is shocking, they're not just the same 4 notes, but the same 4 notes played the same way! It's not as if there was on one hand these 4 notes played quickly on an electric guitar and on the other and, the same ones played quietly on a bassoon...

And so THAT's why Gouge Away felt so familiar!

But to be honest, I'm starting to think that so much music has been written that it's hard to write something that doesn't sound, even just a little, like anything else.
Pista
Cureboi

Lancer_MiG wrote:It's true that the resemblance is shocking, they're not just the same 4 notes, but the same 4 notes played the same way! It's not as if there was on one hand these 4 notes played quickly on an electric guitar and on the other and, the same ones played quietly on a bassoon...

And so THAT's why Gouge Away felt so familiar!

But to be honest, I'm starting to think that so much music has been written that it's hard to write something that doesn't sound, even just a little, like anything else.
Hello there & welcome to the forum :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity