Riff Stealing

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Pista
Cureboi

Anyone think Von might have borrowed this drum riff for Giving Ground?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
kendall
Road Kill

Architects - Animals to Sisters - Arms to Killing Joke - Millenium? All great songs.

under the running board
road_kill
Road Kill

Pista wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 20:29 Anyone think Von might have borrowed this drum riff for Giving Ground?
I think Benjamin Button may have suggested it... :wink:
NhDNlkYcIc
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

road_kill wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 21:40
Pista wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 20:29 Anyone think Von might have borrowed this drum riff for Giving Ground?
I think Benjamin Button may have suggested it... :wink:
also Torch & a 1,000 other tracks using presets i reckon.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

A-ha's new tune is literally 'Show me'/'Far Parade' innit?

Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
savva0122
Road Kill

A while back I happened upon a movie trailer, the soundtrack an uncanny resemblance to Giving Ground.

It looked like a "comedy" and I remember there was some sort of spirit in an urn which had to be kept in.

I've tried to find it again but to no avail. Just want to check it out.

Thanks
Pista
Cureboi

Hello @savva0122 & welcome to :hl:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
ruffers
Overbomber

savva0122 wrote: 06 Sep 2022, 15:38 A while back I happened upon a movie trailer, the soundtrack an uncanny resemblance to Giving Ground.

It looked like a "comedy" and I remember there was some sort of spirit in an urn which had to be kept in.

Thanks
Give us a clue - how long ago? Animated? Any stars in it? American?
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
sultan2075
Overbomber

ruffers wrote: 07 Sep 2022, 19:37
savva0122 wrote: 06 Sep 2022, 15:38 A while back I happened upon a movie trailer, the soundtrack an uncanny resemblance to Giving Ground.

Thanks
Give us a clue - how long ago? Animated? Any stars in it? American?
Is this the one Von talks about? The clip is embedded in an interview with him (er…. somewhere. Notably unhelpful I know). It was some sort of comedy that involved a tea kettle that spots money or something like that? I haven’t seen it. But it used a rap song in one scene that nicked the melody line from Giving Ground.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
H. Blackrose
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I have spent quite a lot of time trying to get music off films. Because they didn’t have Denis Hopper in them! The last one I saw was The Brass Teapot. They took the music for Giving Ground, sampled the riff, put a rap tune over it and put it on the film without asking me, paying me or telling me. That’s the bad news. The good news is that it was Juno Temple in a spanking scene. So I can’t be too upset about that but they should have asked me, they should have told me and they should have paid me.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
sultan2075
Overbomber

H. Blackrose wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 08:42
I have spent quite a lot of time trying to get music off films. Because they didn’t have Denis Hopper in them! The last one I saw was The Brass Teapot. They took the music for Giving Ground, sampled the riff, put a rap tune over it and put it on the film without asking me, paying me or telling me. That’s the bad news. The good news is that it was Juno Temple in a spanking scene. So I can’t be too upset about that but they should have asked me, they should have told me and they should have paid me.
That's the one I had in mind...
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
savva0122
Road Kill

That's the one 👏

Thanks kind sir
H. Blackrose

Ma'am :lol:

But seriously, I can't believe Eldritch got "This Corrosion" taken off Wayne's World and doesn't realise that was a huge blunder that cost TSOM the chance of becoming pop culture immortals
Todashi

H. Blackrose wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 03:15 Ma'am :lol:

But seriously, I can't believe Eldritch got "This Corrosion" taken off Wayne's World and doesn't realise that was a huge blunder that cost TSOM the chance of becoming pop culture immortals
I'd say he does now. At the time, he probably read the script and thought it sounded like a truly awful film.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Todashi wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 11:03

I'd say he does now. At the time, he probably read the script and thought it sounded like a truly awful film.
I'd assume it is, though I've never seen it. But I've seen bits and pieces of that particular scene on TV over the years (it is the scene where they play Queen, right?), and I just can't imagine This Corrosion being used at all. Yeah, he probably missed out on a massive payday, but... I can't imagine he regrets it.
--
Todashi

sultan2075 wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 13:16
Todashi wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 11:03

I'd assume it is, though I've never seen it. But I've seen bits and pieces of that particular scene on TV over the years (it is the scene where they play Queen, right?), and I just can't imagine This Corrosion being used at all. Yeah, he probably missed out on a massive payday, but... I can't imagine he regrets it.
Well he might not have missed out on a big payday. A big part of that film's charm IS that scene, and it caught lightening in a bottle with that song, given that Queen were pretty unfashionable prior to that, and enjoyed a resurgence as a result of that scene and film. So there's nothing to say that using This Corrosion would have worked as well - far fewer people would have known it than Bohemian Rhapsody. I think he made the right call.
DomConway
Filth

Thanks
Full song here (Soothsayer by The Gray Kid):

the only thing to fear is fear itself
copper
Amphetamine Filth

Was looking at some German articles with the helping hand of Google Translate. In 1994, :von: seemed candid to talk about the music he offered to some feature films.
I'm currently working on scores for three films at a time. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

And what films are you working on soundtracks for?

"For 'Judge Dredd', which is a comic book character very popular in England, very, very funny and overly violent, very beautiful, played by Sylvester Stallone; for 'Johnny Mnemonic', also a kind of science fiction story; and then for the next film by Paul Verhoeven who did 'Basic Instinct' and 'Robocop' [that would be Showgirls. - ed.note]

It's not at all sure if my music will be accepted for that, there's always competition, but the good thing is that I'm into all three films and that people asked me if I would like to do it and not the other way around. This year I was lucky, for example I turned down 'Wayne's Worid' because it wasn't really my type of film, it sucks, I think. And 'The Crow', that disgusting goth story, is terrible, absolutely terrible. I would never do it again. But this year I have three at once that I like."
Pista
Cureboi

6Music has just played Lucretia & Gouge Away within 10 minutes of each other & somebody commented that they have the same bass line :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Brad

Does anyone know if there is any grain of truth regarding the whole "Wayne's World" situation.

Because I call bullsh*t on that.

There is no conceivable way that This Corrosion would have been up for consideration.

It sounds more like a leg being pulled here or an April Fool's joke run amok.

Considering the source is AE himself, I cast some doubt.
H. Blackrose

Brad wrote: 28 Oct 2022, 20:23 There is no conceivable way that This Corrosion would have been up for consideration.
Why not?
Brad

As much as the Sisters are legends in our own minds, (and even within the context of the time period) I do not think it probable that the Sisters would have seriously entered the equation for inclusion in a movie that is as top 40/public consumable as Wayne's World was.

I similarity reject the revisionist history that somehow Queen and in particular "Bohemian Rhapsody" was somehow relegated to obscurity prior to the film. Yes, it is obvious that the song regenerated an interest in the band/song to a new audience, but that song was already entrenched in public consciousness and pop culture ad infinitum.

I may also be trying to tell myself a sweet narrative to shield the reality that Andrew possibly really made a horrible career-defining decision.
mh
Above the Chemist

I can see the scene playing out with This Corrosion where they do the choir intro and start headbanging when the drums kick in. I think that would work.

Problem is that nobody would recognise the song or get the joke.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
iesus
Overbomber

Was listening to Schwarze Welle today and i came up to this.

Messaged it to Steve as note, cause i couldn't search and post it here ;D
Is it me or you hear the same like me? :notworthy: :lol: :bat: :bat:

Edit - No i can hear it....

:lol: :lol: :bat: :bat: ;D
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
mh
Above the Chemist

Yeah, I hear it too.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.