what's your favourite all time pun?

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

From Marian (version): "Save me from the grave"
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

million voices wrote:I know I'm a bit late but couldn't the pun be that he is stuck (ie can't move) when the actual home is described as mobile?
Perhaps when Dylan wrote it but Von's is still just a misquote.

And if I can get my pedant hat on, the line is "Stuck inside of Memphis with the mobile home" while the Dylan song is actually Stuck Inside of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again and is from the album Blonde On Blonde.

Aaaand breathe...
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Lets take this a little further.

Ok, so this could be a reference to Dylan's lyric. But wouldn't that be a little easy? I mean, we know that :von:'s never shied away from repurposing other peoples' material, so that could be the de facto go-to when analysing this.

But...

Maybe he's stuck inside of Memphis with a Mobile home, as in Mobile Alabama. He's in one state with a residence from another - the feeling of being disconnected, in the wrong place, with the wrong thing. Could this be an allusion to his state of mind while recording the album? His original band is gone, he's shacked up with someone that he knows isn't right for him (and who snarfs all the donuts) - this is uncomfortable for him. He feels displaced.
Further, to get from Mobile to Memphis you take US-45 and I-55. Together they sum to 100. Not very far from "As I ride down the highway 101". Maybe this is his way of trying to reconnect with a time and place where he was comfortable, with things he knew.

The reference to Memphis could also have deeper connotations. In ancient Egypt Memphis was an industrial and commercial hub before falling into ruin. Perhaps his use of it alluded to Leeds, which suffered a similar demise. It was also the site of a significant necropolis - :von: felt that after the original band broke up the Sisters had been mummified, preserved, unchanging, or he felt that people wanted them to be. Or perhaps he's saying that the band will live forever through him, the Pharaoh-figure, the living god (there is certainly a degree of megalomania to his personality).

Maybe...
Hank Moody
million voices
Slight Overbomber

...or maybe he got the idea from "Still Life in Mobile Homes" by Japan

He was listening to Sylvian not Dylan
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

EvilBastard wrote:Lets take this a little further.

Ok, so this could be a reference to Dylan's lyric. But wouldn't that be a little easy? I mean, we know that :von:'s never shied away from repurposing other peoples' material, so that could be the de facto go-to when analysing this.

But...

Maybe he's stuck inside of Memphis with a Mobile home, as in Mobile Alabama. He's in one state with a residence from another - the feeling of being disconnected, in the wrong place, with the wrong thing. Could this be an allusion to his state of mind while recording the album? His original band is gone, he's shacked up with someone that he knows isn't right for him (and who snarfs all the donuts) - this is uncomfortable for him. He feels displaced.
Further, to get from Mobile to Memphis you take US-45 and I-55. Together they sum to 100. Not very far from "As I ride down the highway 101". Maybe this is his way of trying to reconnect with a time and place where he was comfortable, with things he knew.

The reference to Memphis could also have deeper connotations. In ancient Egypt Memphis was an industrial and commercial hub before falling into ruin. Perhaps his use of it alluded to Leeds, which suffered a similar demise. It was also the site of a significant necropolis - :von: felt that after the original band broke up the Sisters had been mummified, preserved, unchanging, or he felt that people wanted them to be. Or perhaps he's saying that the band will live forever through him, the Pharaoh-figure, the living god (there is certainly a degree of megalomania to his personality).

Maybe...
Are you David Icke?
EvilBastard
Overbomber

stufarq wrote:Are you David Icke?
No, but I play one on TV.
Hank Moody
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

stufarq wrote:
EvilBastard wrote:Lets take this a little further.

But...

Maybe...
Are you David Icke?
:lol: :notworthy:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

EvilBastard wrote:
stufarq wrote:Are you David Icke?
No, but I play one on TV.
Do you get a good tune out of it?*

*Which almost brings us back on topic!
blackandgold65
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

nick the stripper wrote:
"Twenty five whores in the room next door, Twenty five floors and I need more" - Vision Thing(possibly the best opening lyrics to an album EVER)

"Get real, get another"

"I can love my fellow man, but I'm damned if I'll love yours"
echo these.

Vision Thing "25 whores etc" produced an extremely rousing Waynes World/Bohemian Rhap style moment a few years back @ Reading Services whilst filling up with petrol I recall. Good call! That's what subwoofers are for.

on that note, might as well add in this for good measure

"I think insipid music is very dangerous. It's a narcotic for the nation as you very well know."
blackandgold65

no, no, no not good.... great.
"I think insipid music is very dangerous. It's a narcotic for the nation as you very well know."
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Back on the original topic (albeit a mere decade or so late) my current favourite Von pun is "Watch the body hit the phials/files". A cancer for anyone's education.
Chaotican

I read this whole thread just to validate that someone already said, "carrion child, prey for me."

Really? No one?
Being645
Above the Chemist

Chaotican wrote:I read this whole thread just to validate that someone already said, "carrion child, prey for me."

Really? No one?
It is a good one for sure. One of my alltime favourites is

Blizzard King
Bring it on home

Joh, of course, Love ... :evil: :lol: ...
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Chaotican wrote:"carrion child"
Starring Sid James and Joan Sims as the parents presumably, with Charles Hawtrey as the child.
jimgogan
Road Kill

More a lyric couplet
Mundane by day, inane at night.
jimgogan
Road Kill

Looking for the can
In the candy store
.. Poor chap, buy him a yacht someone
Pista
Cureboi

Hello @jimgogan & welcome to :hl: :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Fallon
Road Kill

Now that the middle 8 of I Will Call You is solved, we get "I will call you a car" followed shortly by the narrator calling you two types of car.