Heartland Forum Index
       FAQ      Rules      Search      Paypal Donation      Photo Gallery      Sisters Wiki   
   Register · Profile · Log in to check your private messages · View New Posts · Usergroups · Memberlist · Statistics  
   Follow us on   Twitter    Facebook · Log in  
the oldest Sisters flyer that Ive seen so far

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #1  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: the oldest Sisters flyer that Ive seen so far Reply with quote Back to top

5th february 1982

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Being645
Above the Chemist

PostPost #2  Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Surprised ... We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy! ...

cool ... Mr. Green ... and already integrated into the SistersWiki ... Mr. Green ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

PostPost #3  Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I wonder if Andrew looked at the flyer and complained "but we're not a goth band!" It wasn't me...
Being645
Above the Chemist

PostPost #4  Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

markfiend wrote:
I wonder if Andrew looked at the flyer and complained "but we're not a goth band!" It wasn't me...

I wonder. In those days, the word "goth" (if it existed at all) and pictures of skeletons, didn't have the connotations that emerged with time... Wink ...
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

PostPost #5  Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great find We are not worthy! .
How did TSOM get so many gigs at York Uni colleges in the early days ? Was this through the Tony K/Red Rhino connection, or did one of the band have a mate who was responsible for booking the bands there ?
Poisonheart
Road Kill

PostPost #6  Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry to perform necrophilia on an old thread, but I can categorically state that back then no one called it Goth. It was Alternative usually. The lines were quite blurred between Punk and Alternative in those days around Wakefield and Leeds. The term Indie was of course something completely different to today too.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

PostPost #7  Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Doors were described as "gothic rock" as early as 1967. It was being used to describe a genre of music (rather than just individual bands) by late 1979. A review from October of that year already spoke of it as being " a somewhat overworked definition of the genre".

http://www.scathe.demon.co.uk/name.htm
Poisonheart
Road Kill

PostPost #8  Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As the article states, Goth wasn't used to describe these bands until about 83 onwards..before that it was always Alternative or Positive Punk. Certainly in our neck of the woods anyhow.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

PostPost #9  Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Poisonheart wrote:
As the article states, Goth wasn't used to describe these bands until about 83 onwards..before that it was always Alternative or Positive Punk. Certainly in our neck of the woods anyhow.

It says it wasn't used to describe the movement or followers until 1983. It was used to describe Joy Division and the Banshees in 1979 and the whole genre by October that year. May not have become common usage in your neck of the woods until later.
mh
Underneath the Rock

PostPost #10  Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's a subtle but significant difference between "gothic" (small "g") vs "Goth" (big "G") I thinks.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

PostPost #11  Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, not sure I really buy that, although I see what you're saying. "Gothic" was used as a description, then after a while "goth" (or "Goth" - I'm not sure there's any significant difference) became used as a label. But one's just a shortened version of the other. What stands out for me is that by October 1979 the term "gothic" was so closely associated with the entire genre that it could be considered overused.
deadagain
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #12  Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

To add to this discussion, I understood that UK Decay described themselves as 'gothic punk' in an early interview.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Heartland Forum Index -> Sisters Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: