18.05.2014 Vienna Gasometer

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters live in 2014
mh
Above the Chemist

lazarus corporation wrote:I agree completely with every word of that, mh.
Even the typos? :oops: :lol:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

mh wrote:
lazarus corporation wrote:I agree completely with every word of that, mh.
Even the typos? :oops: :lol:
Whether in gigs or forum posts, I rate enthusiasm and energy over technical proficiency. ;)
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I must say that i like freshness that Chris brought to band, it seems that he's a spiritus movens of TSOM today. Even AE mention that in interview for The Quietus, that Chris is the one that want to do tours.
mh
Above the Chemist

...and I'm embarrassed to confess that at the time he joined I was deeply unimpressed. Something about the name "Robochrist" (as he was back then) somehow reminded me of Buckethead and I had an awful sensation that the Sisters were going down a "let's get in a novelty guitarist" route.

How did the song go again?
I was wrong
I was wrong to ever doubt
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Back in time
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote:...and I'm embarrassed to confess that at the time he joined I was deeply unimpressed. Something about the name "Robochrist" (as he was back then) somehow reminded me of Buckethead and I had an awful sensation that the Sisters were going down a "let's get in a novelty guitarist" route.

How did the song go again?
I was wrong
I was wrong to ever doubt
And you were not the only one. :oops:

I even checked his perfomances on the stage at that time and it did not help.
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the reaper man.
playboy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

centurionofprix wrote:
playboy wrote:
Bartek wrote:that sounds cripsy, i must admit, and vox level is not that bad.
Try play it to someone who has never heard the song before and ask what they think about it...
I've done it; they thought it rocked.

(not youtube bootlegs, however nice, but the actual thing. I also dragged a friend with no particular interest in the band to Budapest and she preferred the gigs to the records. For what one person's subjective impression is worth, ie. precisely the same as everyone else's.)
Digital recorders today are much better than recorders back in 1985, yet all recordiings from 20-30 years ago are better. You can actually hear the songs, melody, the doktor, the bass, and the voice. It may rock now, but to be honest the songs are very difficult to hear. VERY often even at the actual concert. I dragged a cousin who loves Sisters, to see them for the first time a few years ago. We stood at the back at the venue, they played so quiet, and the sound was terrible, and sometimes it took a while for my cousin to recognize the song, especially the fatsplaying mumbling train or dok jeep/det boulevard medley, the horrible even more mumbling rendition of Anaconda, the classic riffs from song like First And Last And Always and Temple Of Love were left out, we could not hear any "song" in the unreleased material, even less any vocals.
Bad enough if it was the only gig they sounded like that. However every single gig I have been to since 2006 (saw then a lot of times that year and that was the worst hows of all) have sounded really really bad. If it was early 80:s and they just had begun and had a bad equpiment I could forget them. Now I can't.
centurionofprix

playboy wrote: Digital recorders today are much better than recorders back in 1985, yet all recordiings from 20-30 years ago are better.
The early recordings certainly aren't all better. The ones that do still widely circulate from the early years tend to have been recorded with good equipment for the time, or straight from a soundboard feed, often for profit, as opposed to someone knocking about in the moshpit with an iphone while enjoying the gig. It isn't fair to compare the finest recordings from the time to random youtube clips.
You can actually hear the songs, melody, the doktor, the bass, and the voice.
I haven't had trouble hearing any of these at the gigs I've been to, nor did the people with whom I saw the gigs in question.
Bad enough if it was the only gig they sounded like that. However every single gig I have been to since 2006 (saw then a lot of times that year and that was the worst hows of all) have sounded really really bad. If it was early 80:s and they just had begun and had a bad equpiment I could forget them. Now I can't.
I've seen them a few times in recent years, and while it is possible that I lucked out with my choice of gigs just as you seem to have consistently caught the poor ones, the sound has been decent to very good each time I saw them, and the performances great.
mh
Above the Chemist

playboy wrote:Digital recorders today are much better than recorders back in 1985, yet all recordiings from 20-30 years ago are better. You can actually hear the songs, melody, the doktor, the bass, and the voice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDgvEc_uPGo#t=2500 :innocent:
Pista
Cureboi

playboy wrote:
Digital recorders today are much better than recorders back in 1985
It's not the recorders themselves. It's more the microphones used & where you stand to tape. The recorder just captures a source.
If you plug crappy mics into a studio quality recorder & stand in a crappy place the result won't be that great.
:wink:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Joy

Kiss The Carpet (Someone lucky got a refreshment drink from Von) :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0rTFykXNH0

Valentine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g6tlBtDhBo
"Music is there to enrich your life and make you aware of things in a slightly different way."
playboy

Pista wrote:
playboy wrote:
Digital recorders today are much better than recorders back in 1985
It's not the recorders themselves. It's more the microphones used & where you stand to tape. The recorder just captures a source.
If you plug crappy mics into a studio quality recorder & stand in a crappy place the result won't be that great.
:wink:
I have recorded every Sisters gig I have been to since 1985. All of them up till 2000 has very good sound. Almost everyone from 2001 (except one and a half) has very poor sound. And I have never stand in a "crappy place". Not that it should matter.
playboy

abridged wrote:In the end it is just individual experience and we can argue all day about who has the better taste. It's all subjective. I didn't think the Wembley gigs back in the day were great for instance. Most people probably thought they were brilliant. Each to his/her own. The common thread seems to be that you can still have a damn fine time. I did then. I still do.
Yes you are right. However, if a sound is good or bad CAN be judged by experts, it has nothing to do with wich songs they play or the performance. I can complain about the setlist, and I do sometimes, but that is my personal taste, and when I feel embarressed when they play John I'm Only Dancing with Chris on vocal, or playin Miserlou or whatever it is called, that is also my personal taste. I really find it hard to understand why one cannot agree that Andrew is mumbling more than before, or not singing at all, forgetting the lyrics or where he is in the song. And the fact that the lyrics cannot be heard and the overall sound is much, much quieter that before. And that the doctor is more 'dunk dunk dunk' than 'DUNK DUNK DUNK'as it was before...
playboy

mh wrote:
playboy wrote:Digital recorders today are much better than recorders back in 1985, yet all recordiings from 20-30 years ago are better. You can actually hear the songs, melody, the doktor, the bass, and the voice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDgvEc_uPGo#t=2500 :innocent:
Despite tha fact that it is copied a LOT of times and that videotapes losing in quality over the years, I can still hear, behind it all, that Andrews voice is much much louder. If you took a recent show and and watched it in this quality you would not be able to hear what he was singing at all.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

playboy wrote:Yes you are right. However, if a sound is good or bad CAN be judged by experts, it has nothing to do with wich songs they play or the performance.
i don't need an expert to rule over my own opinion, at least.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Silver_Owl
The Don

Please be nice and be respectful of each other on this forum. There really has been enough unpleasantness recently.

Thank you.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Thanks for posting the link. Guitars sound awesome, but :von: far too low in the mix. Now he's 55 I can accept that he just mumbles what one reviewer this week called "fragments of songs", but just don't see why he's mixed so quietly, compared to say the Leeds Warehouse (Jan 83) version that's one of the top links in the right hand side of that YT clip.
Salome

And in a bit happier note.. (and since it was after all an awesome show :wink: )
I uploaded another pic, this time of Ben:
http://shlomit-migay.tumblr.com/post/86 ... ienna-2014

And here is a photo album by a local photographer:
http://stills.eraserhead.at/live-the-si ... eter-wien/

8)
Joy

Salome wrote:And in a bit happier note.. (and since it was after all an awesome show :wink: )
I uploaded another pic, this time of Ben:
http://shlomit-migay.tumblr.com/post/86 ... ienna-2014

And here is a photo album by a local photographer:
http://stills.eraserhead.at/live-the-si ... eter-wien/

8)
Thank you, Salome! :notworthy: :notworthy: :kiss: Great pics!!
"Music is there to enrich your life and make you aware of things in a slightly different way."
Salome

Joy wrote: Thank you, Salome! :notworthy: :notworthy: :kiss: Great pics!!
You're very welcome 8)
Back in time

Really nice Salome. Thanks.
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the reaper man.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Back in time wrote:Really nice Salome. Thanks.
+1 ... :notworthy: :notworthy: ...
Being645
Above the Chemist

Found another quite long vid on YouTube, starting with Gift That Shines ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiwuiOpXh6g

Here's also More
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpmHg5sz3Jw
Joy

Here is one more. It hasn't been uploaded yet. (Actually I recorded all of them except More)

This Corrosion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrD5kLB ... e=youtu.be
Joy

Ribbons, When You Don't See Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqPnG7xSMZY
bismarck

Really great video, thank you for posting.
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck