This Corrosion Lyrics Quibble

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.

Which is it?

“on heart / hand of god"
84%
“on hearts / hand of god"
5%
“on heart / the hand of god"
11%

Total votes: 19
dwarfland
Road Kill

Hi everyone,

i’m hoping for some thoughts and feedback on a lyrics quibble.

A friend of mine* is planning to get a tat with the last verse of This Corrosion. So far so cool, but some conflict has crept up with regard to one bit of the lyrics. The “official� lyrics of course go, at some point, “on heart / hand of god� — but she swears it’s really “on hearts / the hand of god�.

Now, my first reaction was, that’s f**king ridiculous. But after some repeated listening to the relevant part, i’m torn. The “the� is fishy at best, i think. If it’s there, it is very slurred, in contrast to all the rest of the text which is pretty clear — so i’m *pretty* convinced that part isn’t there, and there’s just some sound from a background track that sounds like it. This is also backed by the fact that random sample of the live recordings i checked out (hah, as if those are any good for getting lyrics, right? ;) clearly have no “the� in any of them.

I’m less certain on the plural “s’ on “heart�. A pretty convincing argument could be made for there being an “s� at the end — both in the studio version *and* the live ones.

That said, “on heart / hand of god� still keeps feeling right to *me*. ;)

What do you guys think?

—marc

*no, that friend is not me ;) — but if it *were* my tat, i’d go with “on heart / hand of god"

Update: looks like it lost the forth option for the poll :(. so nevermind that.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Hi dwarfland, welcome to the Heartland Forums ... :D ...

It's clearly "On heart/Hand of God" and I think this does also come clear from the lyrical context ...

Still, often enough live Andrew seemed to have changed that bit, at least to my ears.
Only, I couldn't tell what else he might have been intoning then ... such effects go much too fast for unaccustomed ears, and not only because it's (as in my case) foreign language ... :wink: ...
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

She could always go for a "Yorkshire compromise" and have "t'" added in front of "Hand of God". Or go for a less contentious lyric. Welcome, BTW !
dwarfland
Road Kill

Thanx ;). Always been more of a "mailing list over web forums" kind of guy, so i've stuck to Dominion — but that that seems to be down for good so i figured now is as good a time as any to dip by toes in the water here...
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Some great landscape photos on your site, but obviously the People's Republic wristband shot rather jumps out from your homepage ! Anyway, you know the form and seeing as no-one else has asked - YCBTO, yes or no ?[/b]
dwarfland
Road Kill

You Could Be the One f**king rocks. Is anyone seriously disputing that? <g>
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

dwarfland wrote:You Could Be the One f**king rocks. Is anyone seriously disputing that? <g>
Yes, yes I am.

Welcome, by the way :lol:
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
Dan
Overbomber

The sheet music has it as...

I don't need no one to understand why the blood run, hold the hired hand on heart. The "Hand of God," "Floodland" and "Driven apart" run cold, turn cold. Burn like a healing

Edit to add:

And in the music video it looks like he sings "the" although it's barely(if at all) audible.
Being645
Above the Chemist

OK ... :eek: ... That makes sense. I'm pleased to be surprised ... ;D ...

Changed the lyrics in t'SistersWiki accordingly ...

Hell, they could have written that on the album cover 25 years earlier ... :evil: :twisted: ,,, :von: ... :lol: ...

Are there any further quotation marks, unknown commata etc. in the sheet music?

*oh, and as to YCBTO ... Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah ... ;D ;D ;D ...
Last edited by Being645 on 03 Feb 2014, 03:46, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
Overbomber

Being645 wrote:Are there any further quotation marks in the sheet music?
Yes, it's full of strange punctuation. Want me to quote the whole thing?
Being645
Above the Chemist

Dan wrote:
Being645 wrote:Are there any further quotation marks in the sheet music?
Yes, it's full of strange punctuation. Want me to quote the whole thing?
YeSSSSS ... ;D ;D ;D ... please ... :kiss: ...
Dan
Overbomber

The line spacing is my own so don't pay much heed to that, because in the sheet music it all runs together so I just newlined on the commas and full stops. That's except for verse 2 which is printed seperately at the bottom of the page, so that has the correct line spacing as it appears there.

The only part that doesn't fit with the 7" version when I just listened is that in the sheet music it has "do you hear me call" but in the song he sings "do you hear at all". BUT... in the demo version he sings "do you hear me call" so I reckon he must have changed that line at the last moment and the sheet music used an earlier version without the changed line.

And it has told not toll'd. Does toll'd appear in any official documentation?
I mean, yes it's a pun obviously just as "we'll turn round"/"wheel turn round" but you can't write both so have to choose one word over another.
This Corrosion sheet music wrote:Gimme the ring, kissed and told,
gimme something that I missed,
gimme the ring, a hand to hold,
wild and what it seems.
Gimme the ring.
Kill the king when love is the law,
and the "we'll turn round" gimme the ring.
Sing, dream child and do you hear me call?

Sing!
Sing!
Hey now, hey now now, sing this corrosion to me.
Hey now hey now now, sing this corrosion to me.
Hey now hey now now, sing this corrosion to me.
Hey now hey now now.

(VERSE 2)
On days like this
In times like these
I feel an animal
Deep inside.
Well what do you say
Living on "if" and "if I tried"
Somebody got a song for me?

I've got nothing to say I ain't said before,
I bled all I can I won't bleed no more.
I don't need no one to understand why the blood run,
hold the hired hand on heart.
The "Hand of God," "Floodland" and "Driven apart" run cold, turn cold.
Burn like a healing hand.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Dan wrote:The line spacing is my own so don't pay much heed to that, because in the sheet music it all runs together so I just newlined on the commas and full stops. That's except for verse 2 which is printed seperately at the bottom of the page, so that has the correct line spacing as it appears there.
Thanks, that should serve no problem ... however, now I wonder which other lyrics might look different in the sheet music compared to lyrics sheets ...
Dan wrote: The only part that doesn't fit with the 7" version when I just listened is that in the sheet music it has "do you hear me call" but in the song he sings "do you hear at all". BUT... in the demo version he sings "do you hear me call" so I reckon he must have changed that line at the last moment and the sheet music used an earlier version without the changed line.
The blank words "do you hear at all" ring a very loud and eternal "Can you hear it at all?" from Red Money (Bowie/Lodger 1979) in my memory ... so it's maybe better he's changed that bit at least in the lyrics sheet for the official release ... :wink: ... I think, live it's very often (been) "do you hear at all" at the end of the verse ... Here's what's in the official lyrics sheet:
Floodland Lyrics Sheet wrote:Gimme siren, child and do you hear me?
Gimme siren, child, and do you hear me call?
Sing, child, of right and wrong
Gimme things that don't last long
Gimme siren, child, and do you hear me call?
Verse 2 does also have remarkable changes:
Floodland Lyrics Sheet wrote:On daze, like this
In times like these
I feel an animal deep inside
Heel to haunch on bended knees
Living on if and if I tried,
Somebody send me ... please ...
Dream wars and a ticket to seem
Giving out and in
Selling the don't belong
Well, what do you say
D'you have a word for Giving Away?
Got a song for me?
This whole lot is not in the sheet music? Seems to be an early version, indeed - which would also explain the lack of quotation marks in the final official lyrics sheet. They are self-explanatory in a way ... though not necessarily for everybody ...

Dan wrote: And it has told not toll'd. Does toll'd appear in any official documentation?
I mean, yes it's a pun obviously just as "we'll turn round"/"wheel turn round" but you can't write both so have to choose one word over another.
"toll'd" is in the official Floodland lyrics sheet... When I read the lyrics for the first time while listening back in the days, I had stopped at that bit and checked my grammar books without result, but ok, I managed to make reasonable sense of it ... nonetheless, the "toll'd" could be a later adjustment ... for "told" would have been a bit too ... wrong ... considering Valentine and stuff ...

After all I think the lyrics as they are in theFloodland lyrics sheet are allright.
It's part of Sisters lyrics to be a bit "cryptical". Quotation marks would disturb the appearance of the art ... a few more commas will, however, do no harm ... :wink: ...
iesus
Overbomber

I thought it was:

"Gimme things that don't last for long"
instead of,
"Gimme things that don't last long"

What is the correct? as we hear, not in the lyrics written please someone confirm :)
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Silver_Owl
The Don

Hello mate and welcome. :D

It's most certainly heart. ;D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

I'd go by the lyrics in the lyric sheet with Floodland rather than the lyrics in the sheet music (which was probably out-sourced and transcribed by an external company)
Dan
Overbomber

Being645 wrote:
Floodland Lyrics Sheet wrote:On daze, like this
In times like these
I feel an animal deep inside
Heel to haunch on bended knees
Living on if and if I tried,
Somebody send me ... please ...
Dream wars and a ticket to seem
Giving out and in
Selling the don't belong
Well, what do you say
D'you have a word for Giving Away?
Got a song for me?
This whole lot is not in the sheet music?
No, it's the sheet music for the 7" version remember. The 7" version doesn't have all those lyrics.

Probably best to leave the wiki page with the Floodland lyrics, or list the 7" lyrics seperately.
James Blast
Banned

tattoos are stupid
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Silver_Owl
The Don

James Blast wrote:tattoos are stupid
I'm getting a tattoo of that. ;D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
iesus
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:
I'm getting a tattoo of that. ;D
There ofc some smart ones...

'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
Being645
Above the Chemist

Dan wrote:... it's the sheet music for the 7" version remember. The 7" version doesn't have all those lyrics.

Probably best to leave the wiki page with the Floodland lyrics, or list the 7" lyrics seperately.
Oh yes, I forgot. Anyway, I've put both versions there now. So that should do ...

http://sisterswiki.org/This_Corrosion_%28song%29
iesus
Overbomber

Analysis

Discussions on the lyrics can be found at the Heartland Forums' Lyrics Section under:

This Corrosion and

Animals <------------ :eek: :eek:

This Corrosion Lyrics Quibble

Animals ???? :roll: :lol:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

lazarus corporation wrote:I'd go by the lyrics in the lyric sheet with Floodland rather than the lyrics in the sheet music (which was probably out-sourced and transcribed by an external company)
By transcribed, do you mean that :von: is asked to hand over his lyric notebook to the publishers and they type them up, trying to make sense of the inevitable crossings out, additions and alternate versions ? Presumably this process would be repeated for the album lyric sheet in a different office, but with the likelihood that :von: (was) asked to give them the once-over prior to release.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:
lazarus corporation wrote:I'd go by the lyrics in the lyric sheet with Floodland rather than the lyrics in the sheet music (which was probably out-sourced and transcribed by an external company)
By transcribed, do you mean that :von: is asked to hand over his lyric notebook to the publishers and they type them up, trying to make sense of the inevitable crossings out, additions and alternate versions ? Presumably this process would be repeated for the album lyric sheet in a different office, but with the likelihood that :von: (was) asked to give them the once-over prior to release.
Exactly so.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

does that extend to all forms of (graphical) art and artists? :innocent:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat: