12.05.2014 Berlin Columbiahalle

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters live in 2014
Bahamas
Road Kill

For those of you that are interested. I thought I would give a brief update. SOM have a warm up band called loser. Not as bad as the dancing girl in PVC dressed as a nurse in Leeds but performed the task. AE appeared on stage around 9:00 and opened with more. The highlights included Chris kicking over the mic during ribbons due to the fog. In general terms the songs have been shortened and most have redone to get through a couple more. For example dropped include flood, we are same suzanne, summer and Berlin. No new cover was played other than red lorry yellow lorry. Both kiss the carpet and valentine were played and is worth the money alone. Congrats to the blonde goth dancing on the shoulders who looked great. The lowlights included the meth head who tried to ruin to gig by fighting in the front with AE loosing his rag at him. Arms was great and gets better every time I hear it. Ben has a new hair do and looks like an extra in grease. There was a noticeable difference between the sound when AE was "singing" and not. Draw your own conclusions. I really enjoyed this one and hope it holds out for the rest of this tour. I have seen them at thus venue once before. The upstairs this time was closed. However there was a decent turnout of middle aged goths to match AE goatee. If this holds out some of you will enjoy this tour.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Bahamas wrote:Chris kicking over the mic during ribbons due to the fog

:lol: Priceless!

Thanx for the review, Bahamas :notworthy:
in dub we trust
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

sounds like an honest review of man aware of how TSOM can sound. Thanks Bahamas
Last edited by Bartek on 14 May 2014, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Bartek wrote:sounds like an honest review of man aware of who TSOM can sound/be. Thanks Bahamas
Seconded, and fits in with the local press reviews. The Berliner Morgenpost (linked in an earlier post) under the heading "perfect but uninspired" complained of "poorly controlled vocals" and guitarists who are "savvy rock poseurs... who can't reproduce the cool sound of old".
B.Z. Berlin's reviewer was surprised to spot people in polo shirts amongst the usual goth suspects in the audience, but complained of the sound, "song after song blurs into industrial bluster".
Berliner Zeitung also complained about the sound being too quiet for much of the first hour, but again generally enjoyed the show.
Finally, the tip.Berlin website has a great pic of :von: sporting the new goatee.
mh
Above the Chemist

Weebles! :lol: :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Arrrgh!
Amphetamine Filth

Guitars seem a little low, but this sounds great. You can freakishly hear almost every word Von sings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXHodKgEx7E
Do I drive or am I driven?
iesus
Overbomber

Misirlou was written in 1920's
Here is an old recording from 1927 in New York :kiss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW6qGy3RtwY
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
playboy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

damagedone wrote:yeyyy,how is his voice?
just heard Kiss The Carpet.... rubbish voice, far too low as always, and sometimes he just don´t sing at all... as always...... (or, not always, but for the past ten years or something.....)
Two hours soundcheck? I don't think so....
laperouse
11 Imaginary Boys

Can't see any Valentine video at YouTube so far... :-(
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

playboy wrote:just heard Kiss The Carpet.... rubbish voice, far too low as always, and sometimes he just don´t sing at all... as always...... (or, not always, but for the past ten years or something.....)
You mean this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ja0uVikmhE

Agree with you... I don't have a ticket for a Belgian show, and I'm glad for that... still the same sounds, still the same one-stroke guitar, the same mumbling with delays over it... nothing special... :/

And "Kiss The Carpet" has to be one of my favorite songs. Hurts me to hear it in this dull, clinical rendition.

Such a pity, I say they need a bass player or a keyboardist on stage. Not as much for the added sound, but for the added live value.

IZ.
Last edited by Izzy HaveMercy on 14 May 2014, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Such a pity, I say they need a bass player or a keyboardist on stage. Not as much for the added sound, but for the added live value.

IZ.
...I guess Von must have lost my number :lol:
Four strings good, six strings bad
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:[quote="playboy"just heard Kiss The Carpet.... rubbish voice, far too low as always, and sometimes he just don´t sing at all... as always...... (or, not always, but for the past ten years or something.....)
You mean this one?

Agree with you... I don't have a ticket for a Belgian show, and I'm glad for that... still the same sounds, still the same one-stroke guitar, the same mumbling with delays over it... nothing special... :/

And "Kiss The Carpet" has to be one of my favorite songs. Hurts me to hear it in this dull, clinical rendition.

Such a pity, I say they need a bass player or a keyboardist on stage. Not as much for the added sound, but for the added live value.

IZ.[/quote]

Same here. I've seen them way too much. Waited 8 years for ANY change. I was hopeful some years ago - saw some great gigs - but even the messages on this forum keep on going on repeat. My Sisters party is definitely over. Sorry to say, folks.
guns & cars & accidents
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Norman Hunter wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Such a pity, I say they need a bass player or a keyboardist on stage. Not as much for the added sound, but for the added live value.

IZ.
...I guess Von must have lost my number :lol:
I was hoping for something in this vein.. :innocent:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
centurionofprix
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Eldritch sounds really good in that video of "More".

Nice choice of song for the occasion.
playboy

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:[quote="playboy"just heard Kiss The Carpet.... rubbish voice, far too low as always, and sometimes he just don´t sing at all... as always...... (or, not always, but for the past ten years or something.....)
You mean this one?

IZ.[/quote]

Yes, that was the recording I heard. I don't have ticket either. First tour since 1985 I am not going. There is no point for paying to be disappointed, I have done that too many times now, every time thinking 'maybe THIS tour will be blast'. Have not enjoying them fully since 1993. Every show I saw up till then was a blast. Of the many, many, may ones after that noone can be called 'a blast'. A few good shows, but even that was a long time ago. Last time I thought they were good was one of the shows 13 years ago.

I also love Kiss The Carpet and it hurts me to hearing this halfhearted dull version.
At least now I know that it was a good choice not seeing them again.
Will always love The Sisters Of Mercy when they were a working band. When they developed and sounded fresh and up date. They have sounded the same a decade now, playing the same songs and versions a decade now, and nostalgia is not enough for me.
playboy

centurionofprix wrote:Eldritch sounds really good in that video of "More".

He does I must admit, even thoug the version seems to short, and not hard enough. Sounding good a song or two in a whole show is not enough though.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Izzy, easy, relax, don't be so over-demanding.

and welcome to dark side :twisted:
James Blast
Banned

jparton wrote:Sounds / looks like a standard sisters gig - slow, crap sound and so quiet you can talk louder than the band.

http://youtu.be/sWFbGP8bRVk
Who's the tit singing (Ahem!) "Someday, someday... America"? :eek:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:
jparton wrote:Sounds / looks like a standard sisters gig - slow, crap sound and so quiet you can talk louder than the band.

http://youtu.be/sWFbGP8bRVk
Who's the tit singing (Ahem!) "Someday, someday... America"? :eek:

Probably the same one who started brawling "We will we will rock you" when Valentine started :urff:
jparton
Road Kill

playboy wrote: At least now I know that it was a good choice not seeing them again.
Will always love The Sisters Of Mercy when they were a working band. When they developed and sounded fresh and up date. They have sounded the same a decade now, playing the same songs and versions a decade now, and nostalgia is not enough for me.
Nostalgia has its place - I've been to see the old goff bands a lot over the past 5 years. The difference between The Neff, Mish, Skeletal Family, Salvation, March Violets, etc is they are bands that can still put on a show and kick ass.

Von's brand of nostalgia is just collecting money off a bunch of mug punters. Seriously I enjoyed The Sisters of Murphy more than this hollow shell of its former self.
James Blast
Banned

jparton wrote:Von's brand of nostalgia is just collecting money off a bunch of mug punters. Seriously I enjoyed The Sisters of Murphy more than this hollow shell of its former self.
Are you me or Bart? :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
centurionofprix

playboy wrote:
centurionofprix wrote:Eldritch sounds really good in that video of "More".

He does I must admit, even thoug the version seems to short, and not hard enough. Sounding good a song or two in a whole show is not enough though.
Yes; sometimes the overall sound ends up a bit limp in order to accommodate his quiet vocals, and the video seems like it was one of these occasions. Perhaps they will sound stronger further into the tour. They certainly did when I last saw them in 2011.

Who is doing the sound this time?
vicus

"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
James Blast
Banned

thankee :)
~ Peter Steele
Being645
Above the Chemist

Nice! May I kidnap the marquee one to the SistersWiki? ... ;D ...

Btw, it was a wonderful night out ... with all those Heartland and Poison Door people underway and on the ground ... ;D :notworthy: ... no aftershow party, but we clearly enjoyed ... ;D ...
Greetings to everybody, I hope you had great fun in Dresden or returned home in joy at least* ... :D ... *sigh

Oh, and the flight there and fro ... my favourite colour is all the shades of colours in the clouds - from snow white to steel grey and painted in a fabric one cannot even touch ... ;D ...

A propos, Losers. I like them. Life has become hard stuff in the Western world with the seeds of former decades developing ever further blossom. And I feel their sound is reflecting this, though I still prefer Rebel, Rebel to what I (probably wrongly) perceived to be called Chelsea Night, an impressing track, nonetheless. Like most of the five or six songs they performed. There was only one track on the backgrounds of which my own phantasies couldn't but walk elsewhere for a long way.