Heartland Forum Index
       FAQ      Rules      Search      Paypal Donation      Photo Gallery      Sisters Wiki   
   Register · Profile · Log in to check your private messages · View New Posts · Usergroups · Memberlist · Statistics  
   Follow us on   Twitter    Facebook · Log in  
08.07.2014 Belfast Mandela Hall
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Heartland Forum Index -> Sisters 2014 - Ever forward (ARCHIVED)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #51  Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Seconded ( with the exception of the NEC 92!)
Mav787
One life, all I need

PostPost #52  Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

robertzombie wrote:
BEST SISTERS GIG ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES

It was a very good gig but the best? I don't think so. Maybe one of the best in the last 10 years
Mav787
One life, all I need

PostPost #53  Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bangles wrote:
with the exception of the NEC 92!

That was one of the ones I had in mind for being better than tonight
robertzombie
Overbomber

PostPost #54  Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm 24...
Mav787
One life, all I need

PostPost #55  Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

robertzombie wrote:
I'm 24...

That explains it Smile
sukhoi

PostPost #56  Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No other way than to agree , 11 points out od 10

lex3000 wrote:
Amazing gig! Great atmosphere, band and crowd really up for it. It was up there with Leamington Spa for surprise rock'n'rollness, Andrew said he hopes they get asked to come back. I hope so.

centurionofprix
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #57  Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lucretia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueU10bHP4DA
DReifZ
Road Kill

PostPost #58  Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

centurionofprix wrote:
Lucretia

Is that a cookie monster on vocals? Surprised
randdebielČ

PostPost #59  Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

centurionofprix wrote:
Lucretia
Hey, I hear Von,clearly! The world is coming to an end!
iesus
Overbomber

PostPost #60  Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ofc it is. This is called "The World's End" with soundtrack by Sisters Laughing

It is known We are not worthy!
Silver_Owl
The Don

PostPost #61  Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Seems like a good night was had. Very Happy
abridged
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #62  Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A very good night. Eldritch and Co on top form. Best gig by anyone l've been to in ages. On the bus to Dublin. Smile
robertzombie
Overbomber

PostPost #63  Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just remembered I got a high five off Eldritch during This Corrosion. Healing hand indeed.
deirfiur
Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #64  Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

probably just me but I was was very dissapointed

Been a lifeling fan of the girls and think that they were the best rock n roll band on the planet up to '85 - always had a sense of menace, great music, great vocals, great lyrics, spectacular live shows and, of course , sex and drugs

I appreciate that that lifesyle can't be maintained without some consequences but , judging on last nights performance (first I've seen since the Vision thing wembley gigs) , they have turned into a paradoy of themselves

About 70% of the music is digitized on imacs with only 2 guitars live and Von's voice, while fine for some of the more 'agressive' vocals, it totally shot at the lower levels and reduced to a mumble. The other two lads are OK and by all accounts are good chaps but its karaoke cock rock.. gone is the subtlety, menace, irony and danger which is a pity. I know now whey there are no new records
Von can still cut it as a lyricist and has few peers but they have turned into what they used to laugh about - more guns and roses wannabees than Stooges Gimme Danger
Arrrgh!
Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #65  Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Absolutely epic show. By far the best of the three or four I've seen. Loud, clear, powerful and a crowd that was totally up for it.

Looking forward to Dublin tonight.

Silver_Owl
The Don

PostPost #66  Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

deirfiur wrote:

Been a lifeling fan of the girls and think that they were the best rock n roll band on the planet up to '85 - always had a sense of menace, great music, great vocals, great lyrics, spectacular live shows and, of course , sex and drugs

I appreciate that that lifesyle can't be maintained without some consequences but , judging on last nights performance (first I've seen since the Vision thing wembley gigs) , they have turned into a paradoy of themselves

About 70% of the music is digitized on imacs with only 2 guitars live and Von's voice, while fine for some of the more 'agressive' vocals, it totally shot at the lower levels and reduced to a mumble. The other two lads are OK and by all accounts are good chaps but its karaoke cock rock.. gone is the subtlety, menace, irony and danger which is a pity. I know now whey there are no new records
Von can still cut it as a lyricist and has few peers but they have turned into what they used to laugh about - more guns and roses wannabees than Stooges Gimme Danger

So, you enjoyed it then? It wasn't me...
Dr. Moody

PostPost #67  Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Top nite out. Really enjoyed it, band sounded loud, Our fearless leader! was in best form I've seen him in years. Great to catch up with everybody, looking forward to tonight for round two.
Mr. Green
jparton
Road Kill

PostPost #68  Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

deirfiur wrote:

Ironically it seems you attended the best gig they have delivered in the last decade. Pitty the souls at the others Wink

I tend to lurk rather than post here, but its clear from lurking for a while that the fans over 44 who knew the Sisters when they were a functioning band pre Floodland are consistently disappointed by the current product, where as the younger fans are pretty happy.

Not saying one is wrong or right, just a difference in expectations.

For me (who is old, sadly!) I judge them against other bands I see live today (both old throwback bands and new bands) and I agree with you.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #69  Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

jparton wrote:
deirfiur wrote:

Ironically it seems you attended the best gig they have delivered in the last decade. Pitty the souls at the others Wink

I tend to lurk rather than post here, but its clear from lurking for a while that the fans over 44 who knew the Sisters when they were a functioning band pre Floodland are consistently disappointed by the current product, where as the younger fans are pretty happy.

For me (who is old, sadly!) I judge them against other bands I see live today (both old throwback bands and new bands) and I agree with you.

Not quite. Speaking for me self who is sadly more than 35 and who was about back in the day l ain't disappointed. Yad a great time. Saw a few bands recently and the Sisters were easily the best nights..
Mav787
One life, all I need

PostPost #70  Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

jparton wrote:

I'm 44. I saw them 3 times pre-Floodland and i'm not disappointed at all (never mind consistently). I've kept going to see them throughout the years and yes there have been times when the sound has been crap and the vocals too low in the mix but that's not been the case for a good few years now. They don't sound like they did in 1984 but who does?

There are some bands from the '80s who I still go to see, The Mish, Killing Joke, March Violets, The Cult and I think the Sisters easily hold their own. When the audience is singing along to This Corrosion, for example, it's hard to beat that feeling.
RobF

PostPost #71  Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A proper belter. This and Amsterdam were massively enjoyable. Hamburg and Dublin a bit more reserved crowd wise. Loved the city and will certainly be back for bands and jollity as soon as I can.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

PostPost #72  Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nice review here : http://planetmosh.com/sisters-of-mercy-mandela-hall-belfast-8072014/ but it should come with a government health warning for that pic of Our fearless leader! grinning. Surprised Surprised
Brad

PostPost #73  Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That photo is hysterical.
VonII
Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #74  Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

jparton wrote:

I agree, but I'm pretty happy out of some 'necessity' rather than 100% genuine happiness I must admit. I'm in my early 20's, and saw the for the first time in 2010. Have been a fan of the band for as long I can remember (I remember my mother taking away my sisters albums at age 7 because the made me seem depressed Laughing).

But, I've got to use the few chances I still get to see them, seeing a lot of artists with a history of drug abuse and chain smoking tend to die by a heart attack in their 50's, like I never got to see Peter Steele. You never know (Are there any awards for pessimism? I think I deserve one Laughing). I also know full well that they're both a shadow of what they once were (multiple times in a few incarnations), and both still holding out decently live as best as they/he can. I've got to make the best of it, I want to enjoy it, there is no way to experience a '83 gig or a '91 gig. I can have all the pictures, bootlegs en videos I want, I'm only ever going to experience the 2010-... version. Crying or Very sad Embarassed Mr. Green

Also: Told my mother last month I saw the Sisters in May (She's aware of their existence by being about my age when the band made some headlines here and there, her brother was a fan,...). She replied "Oh, they're still around? Well, I don't like them ever since that woman joined the band." Laughing Laughing

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:
Nice review here : http://planetmosh.com/sisters-of-mercy-mandela-hall-belfast-8072014/ but it should come with a government health warning for that pic of Our fearless leader! grinning. Surprised Surprised

This is golden. Laughing
bangles

PostPost #75  Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Mav787 wrote:
jparton wrote:

I'm 44. I saw them 3 times pre-Floodland and i'm not disappointed at all (never mind consistently). I've kept going to see them throughout the years and yes there have been times when the sound has been crap and the vocals too low in the mix but that's not been the case for a good few years now. They don't sound like they did in 1984 but who does?

There are some bands from the '80s who I still go to see, The Mish, Killing Joke, March Violets, The Cult and I think the Sisters easily hold their own. When the audience is singing along to This Corrosion, for example, it's hard to beat that feeling.

I've never understood the expectation gap. To think that a band who changed so much, in both line-up and style, over a ten year recording career to still be the same live proposition 30 years later seems odd.

For me, I'm 42 and while I didn't see 'em pre-85, I've seem them, in all incarnations since then from 90 onwards. Yes, I've seen the odd duff gig, but you get them with every band and I've never taken it to mean anything other than an off night. Live, I think Ben n Chris version of the Sisters get better every year. Now, they seem to 'own' the songs more and keep adding more of themselves and the band is the better for it. The sets are more varied, they mine the back catalogue with a bit more intelligence and hit the stage with a lot more enthusiasm than most...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Heartland Forum Index -> Sisters 2014 - Ever forward (ARCHIVED) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: