09.07.14 Dublin Vicar Street.

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters live in 2014
Mav787
One life, all I need

bangles wrote:The Sisters were great, probably not as good as Belfast but better than Glasgow, but a small proportion of the crowd where I was near the front, were just awful... Overreacting to the slightest push and elbowing back in response (never mind that the person they're hitting was pushed by the crowd in the first place...) I totally understand that some people might not want to be in a mosh pit but, if that was me, I wouldn't stand where it's mostly likely to occur - the same way i wouldn't standing in the middle of a road and complaining that there's cars. And as for those people who seem to think that the people behind should act as a buffer for their protection??? Unreal.
Still seething that these people went out of their way to disrupt people's enjoyment. Particularly after moving away from one of these *****, they moved along up alongside again and continued the same behaviour.
I don't mind people caught up in the moment and losing it at the Sisters, and I don't mind people whos stand there and do nothing - each to their own. But these ***** seemed to go out of their way to spoil it for others - to the point were one clown was roaring abuse at people climbing up on shoulders... Never mind that this was a sisters gig but it was happening about 5 rows behind him!!! That mentality is just totally lost on me...
I was stood on Ben's side on the edge of the pit. I'm a bit too old and out of condition to spend the night in the pit but I'm happy to dance on the spot and provide a barrier for my girlfriend and others.

I didn't notice many people complaining but it is apparent that as the audience gets older they expect to be able to stand still and watch gigs without being jostled. Maybe it's just something we have to get used to.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

bangles wrote:... But these ***** seemed to go out of their way to spoil it for others - to the point were one clown was roaring abuse at people climbing up on shoulders...
I did holler at Maisey when he clambered up someone's shoulders, but to be fair I'm usually yelling at him anyway :wink:

Yeah, Von passed his emergency bottle to Lee M who gave us a few nips, foul bloody brew.

;D
lex3000
Amphetamine Filth

The biggest music news in Ireland and Northern Ireland at the moment according to the newspapers we saw is the brouhaha over Garth Brooks' (not to be confused with Garth Crooks, which would be funnier) cancelled mega-concerts in Dublin, but it didn't overshadow the two Irish gigs were great fun and they showed that there are enough fans willing them to come back again soon.

I think Belfast was the better of the two, but this Dublin gig was better than the 2011 one. Vicar Lane looked an odd venue, but the stage was pretty big and the sound was pretty decent in my view but I've got no real knowledge on these things.

Someone commented that the Sisters have stopped trying to be a heavy metal band and I thought that was quite an astute comment. The Sound these days seems a little quieter but much more clear. It looked like the band were enjoying themselves so hopefully we'll be booking flights back at some point not too distant in the future.
Groningen - Lokerese Feesten
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

timsinister wrote:
bangles wrote:... But these ***** seemed to go out of their way to spoil it for others - to the point were one clown was roaring abuse at people climbing up on shoulders...
I did holler at Maisey when he clambered up someone's shoulders, but to be fair I'm usually yelling at him anyway :wink:

;D
I doubt it was yourself - this guy was clearly a high ranking, long serving officer in the no fun police. He was very aggressive to anyone who seemed to want to enjoy themselves!
Asperum Aestimate Fimi Aliquid Hodie
Being645
Above the Chemist

I'm eventually back after three wonderful gigs, so last things first... ;D ...

Vicar St. was a venue about the size of Glasgow ABC with a circle of three or five chaired seating rows and a balcony on top (for those with an according ticket).
The place was not sold out, but full.

The audience seemed somewhat funny to me. Everybody standing in the middle of a dense crowd with always a full beer in their hands and people
passing through with more beers any time during the gig. I got spilled over three times. The last time both my arms were completely wetted, so
I dried them off on the clothes of the person who did it. Then eventually she took time to notice and ... ha, to complain...:roll: ...
But hell, I went further backwards for a while where there was more space.

The sound was not as good as in the other two venues before. I moved around a lot this time and everywhere the guitars came over perfectly clear
and so did the singing, ... ;D ... apart from a few occasions when the vocals drowed completely in the mix. Heaven knows why. I hate it,
especially when this happens just in the moments when Von is giving some of his more or less rare remarks... :evil: ... But hell, one night's not all.

The Doktor's bass and percussions were relatively muddy all the time... :? ... But The Sisters played their set in varieties again that were long unheard
or never heard before... :D ... For example Alice. A very different version from the one in Glasgow or anywhere ever... very sweet and nice in my opinion
and definitely a pretty variety.

All over these past three gigs I found the band and especially their singer quite joking and open-minded about themselves, which often made me laugh.
One track was played in not so joking a way ... and yeah, that's what I meant when I wrote elsewhere in May that people were not prepared ...
for me it was great and impressing. Bad enough, I can't remember now what song it was, however, it was not necessarily the song but the attitude rather
that made it.

No doubt, Andrew has his voice - and the use of it - back to any standards he'd ever reached. Hihi, I also enjoyed that this time he obviously played on his
deeper tones in one moment driving a certain heat through my veines (among others, I guess) ... Image Image ... :lol: ;D :lol: ... and I love the fact, that he's in moods
good enough again to do so at times ... ;D :kiss: ;D ...

Anyway, there's a lot more interaction from all of the band this part of the tour which I can't, hhm, say range in correctly all the time,
but which is lovely and sweet of them anyway ... ;D :notworthy: ...

At the end they played the guitar solo of Groningen last tour or something similar which again had me in tears, just like the drums solos
of Mickey Dee in Motörhead gigs always do, and if not, then there is something really wrong with my regeneration.

It was a wonderful gig, in parts not as good as the two before, but in other parts better and another step further away from any standard metal attitude,
I'd say. A Sisters gig, challenging and exciting, that got me through hot and cold in quite full of its brand. I enjoyed ... ;D ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...
Last edited by Being645 on 11 Jul 2014, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

bangles wrote:...a small proportion of the crowd where I was near the front, were just awful... Overreacting to the slightest push and elbowing back in response (never mind that the person they're hitting was pushed by the crowd in the first place...) I totally understand that some people might not want to be in a mosh pit but, if that was me, I wouldn't stand where it's mostly likely to occur - the same way i wouldn't standing in the middle of a road and complaining that there's cars. And as for those people who seem to think that the people behind should act as a buffer for their protection??? Unreal.
Still seething that these people went out of their way to disrupt people's enjoyment. Particularly after moving away from one of these *****, they moved along up alongside again and continued the same behaviour.
I don't mind people caught up in the moment and losing it at the Sisters, and I don't mind people whos stand there and do nothing - each to their own. But these ***** seemed to go out of their way to spoil it for others - to the point were one clown was roaring abuse at people climbing up on shoulders... Never mind that this was a sisters gig but it was happening about 5 rows behind him!!! That mentality is just totally lost on me...

This reminds me 100% how some were acting the last time in Dublin in 2011. I got so fed up by these fekkers I left halfway during the gig back then. I just didn't get their attitude towards other people who just want to enjoy themselves. I still don't and it makes me sad to hear they were back at it a couple of days ago...
in dub we trust
Dr. Moody
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Great gig, really enjoyed it, Belfast was better, the same setlist both nights took something away, there's few shows that can stand up to that without losing something. Von in cracking form, I didn't have an issues at all with the venue, smoke, sound or crowd (fire alarm though ffs) expectations must have been suitably lowered over the years. Great to hang out with the usual suspects before and after too. We ended up in Fibbers where they played Sisters records most of the night including a few bootlegs. Funny stuff.

Till the next one arrives... :notworthy:
Joy

Another reason why Von hates (and so do I) music journalists..so ignore the article :roll: ...the pics, however, are good...

http://www.goldenplec.com/sisters-mercy ... et-review/
Last edited by Joy on 12 Jul 2014, 19:18, edited 2 times in total.
"Music is there to enrich your life and make you aware of things in a slightly different way."
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Joy wrote:Another reason why Von hates (and so do I) music journalists..so ignore the article :roll: ...the pics, however, are good...

If you that review was scathing, try this one : http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/ ... 5143.html#
Joy

"Music is there to enrich your life and make you aware of things in a slightly different way."
Joy

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:
If you that review was scathing, try this one :
Could it possibly be worse? :urff:
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Just to reiterate it was a rather good gig. And remember the national crisis that is enveloping us at the moment is Garth Brooks not playing five concerts... :wink:
The Chancer Corporation
deirfiur
Amphetamine Filth

errrr.. the reviewers are actually correct...

C'mon folks - partys over.. time to go home
Being645
Above the Chemist

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:
Joy wrote:Another reason why Von hates (and so do I) music journalists..so ignore the article :roll: ...the pics, however, are good...

If you that review was scathing, try this one : http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/ ... 5143.html#
:lol: :lol: :lol: ... two further reviews to file under "excessively exaggerated" ... can't take these serious ...

Joy wrote:..and a few more good pic!

http://www.dublinconcerts.ie/the-sister ... et-photos/
Nice, thanks for the link ... :D ...
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

OK, @Being, here's one probably more to your liking, from an unashamed fan. http://thenostalgicattic.blogspot.co.uk ... mercy.html.
The conclusion reached is probably the most lucid explanation of the "why they aren't releasing new material" issue that I've read. :notworthy:
Mav787
One life, all I need

I like that article and it's conclusion.

Many reviews and comments from people who were there mention the amount of dry ice. This isn't anything knew, its been like that for 30 years.

Why does it keep getting mentioned as a criticism?
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

f**k the reviewers and their s**t. they get paid to write controversial bollox

i had fun and that's all that matters
Goths have feelings too
RobF

radiojamaica wrote:
bangles wrote:...a small proportion of the crowd where I was near the front, were just awful... Overreacting to the slightest push and elbowing back in response (never mind that the person they're hitting was pushed by the crowd in the first place...) I totally understand that some people might not want to be in a mosh pit but, if that was me, I wouldn't stand where it's mostly likely to occur - the same way i wouldn't standing in the middle of a road and complaining that there's cars. And as for those people who seem to think that the people behind should act as a buffer for their protection??? Unreal.

This reminds me 100% how some were acting the last time in Dublin in 2011. I got so fed up by these fekkers I left halfway during the gig back then. I just didn't get their attitude towards other people who just want to enjoy themselves. I still don't and it makes me sad to hear they were back at it a couple of days ago...

It was a tad astonishing at a Sisters show to have to essentially negotiate space to have a jump around. All the grumpy buggers were fine when you talked to them, but stood stock still. Until VT/Lucretia, when the Large be-drunken folk gave them little choice. It was very odd after Belfast was so up for it, but then Hamburg was really static too (though that was heat and exhaustion I think).
"...by the time I get to Arizona..."