Vinyl re-issue of F&L&A + 3 EPs

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Pista
Cureboi

robertzombie wrote: The cutting act is done by a machine that responds to the engineer's real time EQ moves. It's possible to duplicate moves across regions by using written instructions or an EQ'd cutting tape (or the same stampers), however in many cases this doesn't happen.
That's really interesting, but still sort of smacks of "cottage industry".
Effectively, there is a little bloke with a tool (EQ sliders I assume) dictating the outcome as he/ she sees fit & so regional cuts differ. Seems a bit weird that EQ levels aren't pre-programmed.
As for stampers, that's natural to expect wear anywhere you have physical processes, but even basic SPC can determine the process capability & life cycle of the stamper.
You'd know better than most, as you have actually made records , but the way you describe it sounds like there's a heck of a lot of room for variation. :eek:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
robertzombie
Overbomber

Pista wrote:
robertzombie wrote: The cutting act is done by a machine that responds to the engineer's real time EQ moves. It's possible to duplicate moves across regions by using written instructions or an EQ'd cutting tape (or the same stampers), however in many cases this doesn't happen.
That's really interesting, but still sort of smacks of "cottage industry".
Effectively, there is a little bloke with a tool (EQ sliders I assume) dictating the outcome as he/ she sees fit & so regional cuts differ. Seems a bit weird that EQ levels aren't pre-programmed.
As for stampers, that's natural to expect wear anywhere you have physical processes, but even basic SPC can determine the process capability & life cycle of the stamper.
You'd know better than most, as you have actually made records , but the way you describe it sounds like there's a heck of a lot of room for variation. :eek:
Yes, that's the beauty of it! It's why you get collectors hunting down specific cuts of various records (Led Zeppelin II cut by Bob Ludwig is a prime example).

It's not quite as random or uncertain as you make out. Traditionally, 'mastering' was more a part of the manufacturing stage than it was part of the music production stage. It was/is a necessary step in the production of the physical record and in-house engineers were trusted to do the job right. This carried over into the early stages of CD production, where you find the same title is mastered differently by each region. Using the Sisters as an example, the USA CD of Vision Thing has a lot more bass than the German one, which sounds a bit dry in comparison.

Bringing things back to F&L&A, it's really great news that Sean is mastering these from analogue flats (presumably flat transfers of the mastertapes). These songs have never really been mastered properly, what with the distortion issues on the Body And Soul EP, and the generally thin sound one finds on the debut album. Hopefully Sean will bring new life out of the tapes and EQ them more naturally than before. These songs can sound *right*, one only needs to listen to Mobile Fidelity's excellent all-analogue remaster from 2011 (alas, they used the Japanese mixes). I have high hopes for the forthcoming release :)
darcraver
Road Kill

The Japanese mixes and the MOFL press is my favorite release :)

I also have high hopes for the upcoming release.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Goths have feelings too
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

interesting read, nice one Ez.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:interesting read, nice one Ez.
+ 1. Reading how instrumental these guys are, it makes you wonder how much worse this : http://www.discogs.com/Sisters-Of-Mercy ... ase/717495 would have been without the intervention of the great Porky (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Peckham).
mh
Above the Chemist

On the same topic, here's an interview with Porky where he talks some about the kind of post-processing that goes into vinyl mastering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... pidqcG7sSo
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Being645
Above the Chemist

mh wrote:On the same topic, here's an interview with Porky where he talks some about the kind of post-processing that goes into vinyl mastering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... pidqcG7sSo
... :lol: :lol: ... a lovely guy and a great interview ... ;D :lol: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

*thanks for posting!
Being645
Above the Chemist

robertzombie
Overbomber

Mine should be dispatching today from Amazon :D
mh
Above the Chemist

I see that Amazon now have the digital version on pre-order and due to release Friday.

Full collection: http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Always-Co ... 1K0CDTZHDZ

Body and Soul: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Body-Soul-Siste ... QQEP22JQ2R

Walk Away: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Walk-Away-Siste ... QQEP22JQ2R

No Time to Cry: http://www.amazon.co.uk/No-Time-Cry-Sis ... QQEP22JQ2R

I believe that iTunes have them too.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
darcraver
Road Kill

robertzombie wrote:Mine should be dispatching today from Amazon :D
Looking forward to seeing your thoughts on the sound quality. I'll mostly likely buy them as well.
Bertran De Born
Amphetamine Filth

Got mine today... Went to a record store that didn't seem to bother so much about release date
robertzombie
Overbomber

Bertran De Born wrote:Got mine today... Went to a record store that didn't seem to bother so much about release date
Good for you. How is the pressing quality?
robertzombie
Overbomber

darcraver wrote:
robertzombie wrote:Mine should be dispatching today from Amazon :D
Looking forward to seeing your thoughts on the sound quality. I'll mostly likely buy them as well.
Devoting this weekend to it!
Bertran De Born
Amphetamine Filth

robertzombie wrote:
Bertran De Born wrote:Got mine today... Went to a record store that didn't seem to bother so much about release date
Good for you. How is the pressing quality?
will listen to it this evening. 12" all have an inner black sleeve and are opened on the right side of the sleeve.
I think they could have included the Long Train flexidisc, would have been a nice gesture!.
The overall aspect looks ok.
It reaches its goal, which is to have us all buying something we already have for 30 years in already 30 editions.
robm
Amphetamine Filth

Forgive my ignorance, but will the digital versions sound any different to the existing versions?

Tempted just for the Body & Soul e.p., which I've a soft spot for...
TheBoyNextDoor
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

And its up on Spotify and Wimp/Tidal now.
sathvyre
Road Kill

I bought the mp3 download on Amazon and checked the files. Great waveforms...!!! BUT: They used the wrong "Body Electric" track (the one from the early 7")...!!! I hope the right one will be part of the new vinyl set - otherwise it would be a useless piece for all the collectors out there...
I will not buy the set, cause I own all original vinyl editions. I need a nice digital version of the "Body & Soul" 12" only (without distortion on "Afterhours" which sounds nice on the new download). Does anybody know if there will be a lossless version available soon ?
mh
Above the Chemist

7digital have it too, with the correct Body Electric and as 24-bit/96k FLACs.
TheBoyNextDoor
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote:7digital have it too, with the correct Body Electric and as 24-bit/96k FLACs.
Could'nt buy the 24/96 from Sweden, but found it here as well: http://www.hdtracks.com/first-and-last- ... collection - in formats AIFF, ALAC, FLAC and WAV.
iesus
Overbomber

Due to capital controls inside the EU. I am not able to buy that record from online stores. I advise all of you that has Euros in your hands exchange them with gold/silver or other goods such as Sisters extra rare bootlegs that will keep their value in time and keep them away from bank deposits but in private bunkers most likely. Beware the end of days is near my fellow heartlanders :notworthy:
Keep safe :kiss:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
robertzombie
Overbomber

Redbook versions available on Qobuz.
robertzombie
Overbomber

timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Where do you recommend purchasing it from Rob? You're the new Guru in my eyes.