Short interview with MOPO (Hamburg Morning Post)

Post your reviews of Sisters-related material or interviews with Sisters-related musicians here. And don't believe the hype: 1985 most definitely is a fashion statement.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Here's a short interview with MOPO by Frederike Arns, originally in German. Please indulge my translation deficiencies ... :wink: ...

http://www.mopo.de/hamburg/ausgehen/mus ... e-23714516
MOPO wrote:Sisters-of-Mercy-singer Andrew Eldritch: From rowdy rocker to charming chatterbox
In a telephone interview with MOPO, Sisters-of-Mercy-singer Andrew Eldritch presents his charming side...

Considered an uncouth collocutor: Andrew Eldritch, singer and mastermind of the rock band „Sisters of Mercy“

"All journalists are dumb and lazy!“ A meanwhile legendary sentence, told by Andrew Eldritch, singer and mastermind of the British rock band Sisters of Mercy in den 90ies
in a TV-interview. And even nowadays, the 56-year old is seen as a churlish, insolent collocutor, a rock star, as it happens. MOPO undertook the venture, nonetheless,
- and held a phone conversation with Eldritch ahead of his concert at Docks.

„Yep, yep, yep!“ His answers are short and distanced, but at least not insolent. Given this taciturnity, asking questions is not exactly a pleasure, though. Then, however,
the Englishman seems to unbend: it’s about his language skills. “I studied German, as I was into post-war drama at school,“ he says – in German! „However, the curriculum
at university had 19th-century plays, only. Terrible! So I dropped German and started Chinese.“ Considering the fact that he didn’t speak German for such a long time,
he has a rather good command of it. Perhaps because his girlfriend is from The Netherlands and the languages are similar. He continues in English.

This time, it’s about Hamburg, another issue he apparently likes to talk about: “In the 1980s, I lived at Hamburger Berg and near the fish market�, he tells. “I came here
to live together with a woman. For a few days only, as the love wasn’t real after all.� Instead he discovered another love for himself: the FC St. Pauli. He took so much
pleasure in their “leftist funfair, that he even obtained a season ticket.

Now – as he is in such a good mood – a delicate question: Why were you so cheeky in the past? “Interviews are awkward and inconvenient to me. I don’t understand
why there is a necessity to interview people who can write songs. For me, this is just as unpleasant as a job interview is for other people. However, go ahead now,
after all it’s been me who phoned you!� Crazy, Andrew Eldritch is even laughing now.

Basically, there is only one more question, anyway. About the "Sisters Business", that is still working – although the band didn’t release an album for more than 25 years.
“I’m pleased to get through with it. Pink Floyd also handled it this way for a long time. Now they’ve released one, though; perhaps I should follow the example.�
... :lol: ... OK, then. Word ... ;D ...
Last edited by Being645 on 13 Mar 2016, 22:34, edited 2 times in total.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Thanks, @Being for posting this (and for the translation).
Interesting details of his love life past and present for those with an interest in these things, plus the usual teasing about a new album!
Think he will be disappointed to hear that he only has "quite a good command" of German though!
Being645
Above the Chemist

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:Thanks, @Being for posting this (and for the translation).
Interesting details of his love life past and present for those with an interest in these things, plus the usual teasing about a new album!
Think he will be disappointed to hear that he only has "quite a good command" of German though!
... :oops: ... ok, I've changed it to "rather" ... :wink: :lol: ... thanks for the hint ...
Joy
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Thank you!! :notworthy: :notworthy:
"Music is there to enrich your life and make you aware of things in a slightly different way."
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

thanks Sabine. and fair play to you for translating. :notworthy:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Being645
Above the Chemist

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:thanks Sabine. and fair play to you for translating. :notworthy:
Oh well, reading it again a few days later ... I would cleary change a few minor things, but hell ... no time to cry ... :wink: ...