James Blaast....R.I.P..

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

hellboy69 wrote:Be at peace, James… actually sod that, may you forever burger, beerily and noisily, at the Hall of the Mountain Grill x

:notworthy:
;D :notworthy:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Garbageman
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

RIP Mr Blast.
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
YouGaveMeFlowers
Road Kill

Gutted....my one ally hereon this board.
A great soul.
A great Man.
A total dude.
Rock On Friend.
Mr James Blast - Legend. RIP.
Flowers for You.
Faith for You.
Speed, especially speed for you ;-)
Petseri
Overbomber

James will be missed. When someone sent me word of his passing, I was a bit shocked but somehow I believed the news. Heartland can be like a secondary home at times, and James was one of the brothers who made it family. When I was here more regularly, I got to know several HLers and James was one of the closer ones. I am glad that I was able to arrange a trip to Glasgow, even if a brief one, to meet him face to face. He was a good host and appreciative of whatever was sincerely sent his way. He also looked out for people, possibly more that some realized.

That is not to say that he could not be a cyber bastard at time, but even he would acknowledge that. I hated having to put him in his place (generally behind the scenes), but he was receptive, at least for a while. He may have been kicked out [deservedly], but he also was one of the elements which gave this place positive color and atmosphere.

In the past few years, we had not corresponded as much, but he will be missed. Somehow we all know that he would ridicule us for being emotional, but inside he would be loving it. I hope that he is in a better place and that those around him being told to Get Bent take it as well as we did. If someone could pass on condolences to Molly that yet another person from afar is glad to have befriended him, I would appreciate it. I can not attend the services, but my heart will be there.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Now that he's gone, we can safely reveal his not-so-secret secret identity:

I think Uncle Jam-es would be quite amused that his last post was
Meat Whiplash wrote:oh!!! PISH!
:cry:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

That was him?! I should have recognized it from avatar. :(

EDIT: now i see, we didn't crossed many times under this nicknam. But when you read his posts - it's classic Unkle Jam~es, he didn't tried to hide it.
I miss even more that i couldn't made trip to Glassgow, as he invited me. :(
Last edited by Bartek on 17 Aug 2016, 11:19, edited 2 times in total.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Bartek wrote:That was him?! I should have recognized it from avatar. :(
same here. :?
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Being645
Above the Chemist

markfiend wrote:Now that he's gone, we can safely reveal his not-so-secret secret identity:

Oh yes, I had thought so. He started to post a bit more regularly, recently, which was nice to see ... :wink: ... He really should not have gone so early ... :( ...
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

:| RIP James
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

The James who was kicked out of here, wasn't the James he was at the end.

When he was lashing out in the most terrible way, he was very much in constant pain due to his diabetes related neuropathy. He was on a cocktail of medications that didn't work. Also, having to go into a buzzkill of a job, even doing what he did best, was weighing on him heavily. He became a much happier camper after his retirement - and by retirement I mean RETIREMENT, as he never made any graphic design again, not even for his own pleasure; he stayed at that job too long and it had killed his creativity - and a new set of meds that gave him the relief he was after.

That doesn't excuse the manner in which he lashed out at individual people and this place, though, and we've often had words about that. He was very much done with The Sisters, which is one thing, but there are other ways to give your unfiltered opinion. Bouddicca referred to the fact that his way of expressing himself made it into the dictionary of the people who knew him, and we know how witty and eloquently sarcastic he could be. But things are what they are. He did tell me he had returned here under a different handle, but didn't feel the need to contribute in the way he used to, due to the dim view he took of the path The Sisters were/are on; something I can understand.

But for at least the past three years, he was a happily retired man, content with his life, even if he was in and out of hospital for the past one year and a half, due to a broken leg that refused to heal properly. I must admit that I had a big scare the last time he went in, which was in June. I had called him on Facetime, but he was too weak to turn on the video feed, so I only heard his voice and it sounded terrible ; weak and weird. Turned out it was some kind of infection, which was duly treated with antibiotics, and he was on the mend after a week or so. I was very worried at the time, but it seemed as if he had dodged yet another bullet. Still, I couldn't help wondering how long he would be able to keep that up. It's been said before, but most of us knew that due to his unapologetic unhealthy lifestyle, he'd die sooner rather than later. Molly knew it too.

Still, I take some comfort in knowing he was a much happier man at the end than he was in those bad old days. Sure, still sharp as a tack, still as irreverent and sarcastic an in-your-face direct as ever, but never as malicious any more as back then. I got a few 'GET BENT!''s hurled at me over these past few years, and if he felt I remained out of touch with him for too long, he'd let me know in no uncertain terms, but it was always affectionate. Every time we said our goodbyes at the end of a Facetime conversation, he'd say "It was excellent speaking tae ye again, brer", and by the tone in his voice and his expression, I could always tell he really meant it. Always managed to make me feel better than I did before our chat, no matter if I was in a good or a bad mood.

One funny story from three weeks ago : I had gone to see David Gilmour and we had a Facetime chat the next day, in light of the Wacken Festival live streams. We discussed many things regarding Gilmour/'the' Pink Floyd (they were always 'the' Pink Floyd' to him, which was their original name), but at one point, I mentioned standing up for four hours to watch the concert. Being in a wheelchair as he had for the length of time I mentioned above, he said "I couldnae manage that. Never could. How the hell did ye manage tae stand up for that long?", to which my prompt response was : "Well, I'm a biped." The look on his face was priceless, and he replied "Oh, ye baisturt, that is COLD!", but it was clear he got the joke. Like I said, much happier...

Just for the record.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Petseri wrote:If someone could pass on condolences to Molly that yet another person from afar is glad to have befriended him, I would appreciate it. I can not attend the services, but my heart will be there.
Seconded (please). :notworthy: :kiss:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Big Si
School Bully

markfiend wrote:Now that he's gone, we can safely reveal his not-so-secret secret identity:

Although, I was in the know back when he created the profile (a 7" single by JAMC roadies he had told me) he did reveal himself a few times, but those posts "got lost in the threads" so to speak. Although we had fallen out with each other very badly 5 years ago and stopped all communication, I still missed his company. Thank you for the info ARF!. I always kept an eye on his photobucket page and there's a lot of his graphic work still up there. He definitely had a gift so it's sad to hear that the job ruined his enthusiasm :(
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

SINsister wrote:
Petseri wrote:If someone could pass on condolences to Molly that yet another person from afar is glad to have befriended him, I would appreciate it. I can not attend the services, but my heart will be there.
Will do.
RIP Dale: 1994 - 2009
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Andrew S wrote:
SINsister wrote:
Will do.
Please, do the same in my name. James mentioned her Mom when we talked, always wanted me to meet her.
ruffers
Overbomber

RIP James, I'll play some Shriekback and have a drink in your memory.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
culprit
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I'll never forget the Sisters at Leeds a good six years ago, with the music thumping, and moving to the back for a breather.
Standing at the back with him grinning like mad. Met a number of you nice chaps that night and he was one of them.
Followed him on Afterword for years, I'll miss him. :(
...mmmmmmmmmMMMMMM!....
sultan2075
Overbomber

ruffers wrote: Shriekback
Honestly, they're probably the best band ever.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

OK, two things:

I'm thinking of ordering some flowers for the funeral (basket/spray/sheath - need advice from florist on this). Would everyone be OK if I make it from Heartland?

Also, I don't think we can honour Jam-es' wish to have Megadeth played at the funeral but I do want to try to get it played at the pub tomorrow (no guerantees though). Does anyone know which track he specifically wanted?

Cheers.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Andrew S wrote:

Also, I don't think we can honour Jam-es' wish to have Megadeth played at the funeral
that's a shame, but unless you have a humanist funeral (and churches obviously arent) it can be difficult to have anything remotely alternative played. good luck with getting it played at the pub.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Being645
Above the Chemist

Andrew S wrote:[...]
I'm thinking of ordering some flowers for the funeral (basket/spray/sheath - need advice from florist on this). Would everyone be OK if I make it from Heartland?
That's a good idea. And I would like to contribute to the cost. All needed is a valid Paypal address to send it to.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i will, too
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

I've ordered some flowers (a colourful mix of carnations and roses), which will be delivered to the church at the weekend. The message is simply, "Farewell James Blast, from all your friends on Heartland."

Thanks for the offers to contribute. If anyone would like to do so, just PM me and I'll give you the details. Thankee :)
Pista
Cureboi

Andrew S wrote:I've ordered some flowers (a colourful mix of carnations and roses), which will be delivered to the church at the weekend. The message is simply, "Farewell James Blast, from all your friends on Heartland."

Thanks for the offers to contribute. If anyone would like to do so, just PM me and I'll give you the details. Thankee :)
Incoming!
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
scotty
Overbomber

I was more than a bit gutted at the news, we had a big fall out, like a few others!!!, about 4 years ago, I'm too fiery and quick tempered for my own good and I know it, so did he, we were both to stubborn and pig headed to pick up the phone and we both just let it slide, sad really, very sad actually. We had some great times, the "Black October" trip was superb, the drive down with Claire, Mags, Pat and me was a hoot. We swapped cd,s, dvd's, stories and bull s**t!! Underneath the gruff, annoying, sarcastic, rude, obnoxious and argumentative exterior lay a core of marshmallow, soft, vulnerable and easily hurt, I should have been big enough to offer an olive branch.
I will miss him, I have missed him for the years we didn't speak, many's a night I'd be having a bottle of red wine, a new, out of the ordinary one and thought about phoning him and getting him to add it to his list of "must try" "boatils"!! I wish I had, and wished the conversation would have rambled on for about an hour and a half and went from wine to films to music to women with big tits to books to heartland to how Vision Thing is still pish to women with big tits!!! I feel for Molly but she, like a few of us suspected that John was never going to make old bones, his size, drinking, smoking, love of BBQed meat and love "You Could be the One" was a give away.
I hope Molly copes well, she's a lovely women.
I'm sitting here with a boatil of Red wine he would have liked.....although I feel, even if he'd liked it he'd have phoned and said I was an erse it was pish!!!
Where ever you are, I hope The Jesus and Marychain are being played loud, the Red wine is thick, chewy and from south of the Cape, the women are big breasted and there's a never ending supply of charcoal, black pudding and steak.

xx Keith
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Shamiss
Road Kill

Sad news.

I found this site when I was recovering from surgery. Read about 90% of the posts before joining and he was a very funny guy!
See! I told you it wasn't 'just a phase'!