Not seen The sisters since 84/5. What to expect

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters live in 2016
Ausgang
Road Kill

Hi

Me and my equally ancient brother are revisiting our youth by going to the Birmingham gig. Having not seen the band for over 30 years, my question is do they still sound like the sisters? I've seen some YouTube clips of recent concerts and you can't really tell how good the sound is.

Cheers
Pista
Cureboi

Hello & welcome to HL :D
I think the answer is they do sound like The Sisters, but not The Sisters of 84/5.
Much more industrial & machine driven, but still worth it.
Check out any of lasyboy's clips on youtube or some of the recent clips on the sisters wiki. They're good quality & will give you an idea of what to expect :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

One other thing-- Von has switched up his hair style
My life is one long week of stupid clothing benders.
iesus
Overbomber

:von: also experiments with suits and they suit him well (see Razzmataz Barcelona September gig) ;D
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
mh
Above the Chemist

Hello, welcome and good question!

No, they don't sound like the Sisters of 84/85. But then again neither did the Sisters of 82/83, nor the Sisters of 87 to 92.

Do they sound good, despite not sounding like a nostalgia trip? Depends on your tastes, but I say yeah. I think the current sound actually has a little more in common with 82/83 than it does with 84/85. It's lean, it's stripped back, it's mechanical.

Yes, they sometimes unleash the unexpected. 6 years ago they hit us with the first performance of NTTC since 85, nobody had any idea it was going to happen. Since then we've been hit with Rain from Heaven, Jihad, More, a Red Lorry Yellow Lorry cover, This Corrosion with the choral intro played on synth, 1959, a donkey-load of other covers (including a slightly barmy surf music phase), etc.

In other words - pretty much like the Sisters of old, they're equally as likely to hit us with something we neither expect nor even like as they are to hit us with the same setlist 10 nights in a row.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Ausgang
Road Kill

Thanks for the replies. Watched the videos and there is an inkling of the old sound so still looking forward to Tuesday. Is there much dancing going on? Shame they never kept up making records in the same way bands such as killing joke did.
godgirl
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Expect nothing and you're less likely to be disappointed. It'll be grand... really!

Marge xxx
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised God doesn't work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness"
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Ausgang wrote:Thanks for the replies. Watched the videos and there is an inkling of the old sound so still looking forward to Tuesday.
You'll have fun if you have an open mind and like the songs.
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
Ausgang
Road Kill

I'll be in a stripy t shirt n suade winkle pickers say hi
Ausgang
Road Kill

Had a great time. Sound was good. Atmosphere was slightly muted with a generally passive crowd apart from a few at the front, me included. Got a couple of lovely t shirts and met some great people.
stepinside
Road Kill

Maybe this article ("Why I am Still Going to See The Sisters of Mercy Live In 2016") will help you ;-)

http://www.reflectionsofdarkness.com/sp ... ve-in-2016
Pista
Cureboi

Nice little mention of HL there & links to the wiki too
:notworthy: :notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

stepinside wrote:Maybe this article ("Why I am Still Going to See The Sisters of Mercy Live In 2016") will help you ;-)

http://www.reflectionsofdarkness.com/sp ... ve-in-2016
... a lovely read ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ... and the many links to videos and further information (of all kind) are a great addition ... :lol: ;D :notworthy: ...
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Lots of Sisters fans are according to say that the success or failure of a show depends on a host of unpredictable elements like the setlist quality, the live sound engineering, the amount of dry ice, the level of the guitars in the mix, the Eldritch’s engagement on stage or how faithful the songs are in comparison to their original versions. In short, while it is possible that one can regret going to a Sisters show, it is equally probable that staying at home could mean missing out on something special.
Great article, particularly liked this quote.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

So gushing, I’m surprised it wasn’t published in green font
Goths have feelings too
Chaotican

Nice article, and the fact that Romeo Down was specifically called out lends it all credibility. ;)

I got into a bit of a confrontation with a man outside Sheffield trying to justify why on earth I'd come so far and see every show. Simply put, there is nothing else I'd rather be doing. If you don't grasp why, then don't worry about it!

Some of us just know.
Microcosmia

Chaotican wrote:
I got into a bit of a confrontation with a man outside Sheffield trying to justify why on earth I'd come so far and see every show. Simply put, there is nothing else I'd rather be doing. If you don't grasp why, then don't worry about it!

Some of us just know.
It's probably an unwinnable argument with some. I was once asked by someone (who, to be fair, was never going to get it) to show them a live clip of the Sisters on YouTube. I really ought to have known better than to do it. After sitting through it stony faced, they couldn't find anything better to say than "the drummer is good, I suppose." That's just how it is and explaining why I love them wouldn't have changed anything.

Anyway, glad you got home safe and sound :)
Swinnow
Overbomber

Having seen every iteration of the Sisters since 1982 I can say that their wobbly period IMHO was the early naughties when it all got a bit samey. The band seemed to have lost drive and were in danger of becoming their own tribute act. Thankfully 2005 saw new energy and we clicked and grooved again.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
stepinside
Road Kill

I'm the froggy who wrote that strange article so a big thank you for your congratulations guys, this article was such an endeavour that all the feedbacks touch me straight to the heart! :kiss:
Pista
Cureboi

stepinside wrote:I'm the froggy who wrote that strange article so a big thank you for your congratulations guys, this article was such an endeavour that all the feedbacks touch me straight to the heart! :kiss:
:notworthy: :notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

stepinside wrote:I'm the froggy who wrote that strange article so a big thank you for your congratulations guys, this article was such an endeavour that all the feedbacks touch me straight to the heart! :kiss:
good job sir! :notworthy: :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat: