"Sisters, 2022 edition'

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

So to all intents and purposes, we now have the new album. It hasn’t been given a title or been released, but the Sisters are out on tour, playing gigs with five, six and seven brand new songs in the setlist – I’d humbly suggest that even if they had actually released a recorded album, this is the tour we’d have gotten to promote it.

So let’s have some fun. How would you sequence the new album? Best opener? Best closer? Any tracks you consider filler? What would be your lead and follow up single? If you were going to pick one song to give the Jim Steinmen treatment to (sadly impossible now, but you get what I mean) in order to give it some mass market appeal, which would it be?

Here for consideration is what’s been played from the album I’m going to call ‘Sisters, 2022 Edition’.

Here
I Will Call you
But Genevieve
Black Sail
Kickline
Better Reptile
Show Me
Don’t Drive on Ice
When I’m on Fire
Six ways from Sunday

How do you think this ‘album’ stacks up against Floodland and Vision Thing, the two to which this record seems most comparable to me?
Last edited by Todashi on 15 Apr 2022, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I think it could easily be a stronger and more consistent record than Vision Thing. I think Here, But Genevieve and Show Me are absolute belters. Put it this way: live they more than hold their own. So on record I think they’d be right up there.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Dr. Moody
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

"But Genevieve" for the Steinman treatment, but as a duet with Dolly Parton or Kylie.
There's possibly a few more new ones to come on the tour if the T-shirts with lyrics are anything to go by. Hopefully we'll get to hear "On the Beach".
mh
Above the Chemist

Kickline is not the instrumental they've been playing, it was only ever played once. Otherwise it's been Instrumental 86, so that's another new one we've heard.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Dr. Moody

Here's the two instrumental pieces...

Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Todashi wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 16:34How do you think this ‘album’ stacks up against Floodland and Vision Thing, the two to which this record seems most comparable to me?
It's better than FALAA too :wink:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Dr. Moody

Six Ways to Sunday

abridged
Slight Overbomber

Soon people will be complaining that they don't play enough old songs any more. :wink: :twisted:
The Chancer Corporation
Todashi

Edited my original post to include the two new tracks premiered this evening.

(Not including Instrumental 86 as I have a gut feeling it’s not like the others. The Sisters have been playing a ‘new’ instrumental pretty much every tour since the early 2000s, ever since Top Nite Out. I don’t think these are really full songs but rather sketches to provide a point of difference in the live set.)
iesus
Overbomber

Todashi wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 23:19 I don’t think these are really full songs but rather sketches to provide a point of difference in the live set.)
or a good opportunity for a cigar break :innocent: ;D :notworthy:
and a :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
LyanvisAberrant

Dr. Moody wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 22:12 Six Ways to Sunday

WOW
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
LyanvisAberrant

1) When I'm on fire
2) Here
3) I will call you
4) Don't drive on ice
5) Better reptile
6) Black sail
7) Show me
8) But Genevieve
9) Six ways to sunday
(bonus instrumental B-sides)

Here's my tracklisting. So many incredible openers, it's tricky to pick. Better reptile would set an awesome tone that I'm not sure the rest of the album would follow up on. I've gone the hype route. Open on bangers, slowly bring it down to make a point, then return in a big way for the ending.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
Todashi

LyanvisAberrant wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 11:52 Here's my tracklisting. So many incredible openers, it's tricky to pick. Better reptile would set an awesome tone that I'm not sure the rest of the album would follow up on. I've gone the hype route. Open on bangers, slowly bring it down to make a point, then return in a big way for the ending.
Ooh, that's good. I'd listen to that in a heartbeat. Here's my track list:

1 - When I’m on Fire (Rocking opener, sets the tone. We're back baby.)
2 - But Genevieve (Great groove, more depth)
3 - Better Reptile (Builds atmosphere, not the strongest but a quality album track)
4 - Here (Statement banger. WE ARE HERE)
5 - Don't Drive on Ice (Raises the BPMs, natural start to 'side 2', 'anti-drug anthem :lol: )
6 - I Will Call you (Continues the vibe.)
7 - Show Me (Sinister undertones. Slightly threatening.)
8 - Black Sail (Something to think about.)
9 - Six ways from Sunday (Reprise. See you next time.)

Potential singles (for promotional reasons - nobody buys these things anymore) would be Don't Drive on Ice, But Genevieve and Here. B-sides would be Better Reptile, Kickline and possibly Instrumental 86

But I actually don't think we're finished yet. I think there will be one or two more tracks played that could change this around. I'd also like to see a Flood II style atmospheric track of the kind probably best written in the studio and not massively suited to the live environment. The sisters do a great job of performing Flood I & 2 live but I doubt they were written with that in mind.

Either way, I'd play the s**t out of this record, and if they hadn't debuted them live, but instead just insta-dropped a surprise album, I think the vast majority of fans would be happy with this. There'll always be a contingent of grumpy old people upset at the lack of fedoras and pixie boots but they'd never be happy anyway.
Todashi

Also, just occured to me that if we're indulging in the fantasy of them recording these tracks, there's no reason why Crash & Burn and Summer couldn't find their way in there too.

(I've never bought the nonsense about copyright etc, unless the people involved in writing those tracks actively spitefully hate Von and wouldn't give permission for them to be published, I don't see why they wouldn't want a writing credit on a new sisters album.)
LyanvisAberrant

Todashi wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 12:46 Also, just occured to me that if we're indulging in the fantasy of them recording these tracks, there's no reason why Crash & Burn and Summer couldn't find their way in there too.

(I've never bought the nonsense about copyright etc, unless the people involved in writing those tracks actively spitefully hate Von and wouldn't give permission for them to be published, I don't see why they wouldn't want a writing credit on a new sisters album.)
All very good points, but on that last note: It could very well be a case of Von not wanting to share, as it were :lol:
TheGoodSon
Amphetamine Filth

This would be a completely amazing record.
Steve Albini should produce it.
John Robb (The Membranes) should play bass.
The dominant need of the needy soul is to be needed.
TheGoodSon
Amphetamine Filth

abridged wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 22:45 Soon people will be complaining that they don't play enough old songs any more. :wink: :twisted:
I’ve already seen that complaint these last few days! 😂
The dominant need of the needy soul is to be needed.
fractalsister
Road Kill

My take:

1 - But Genevieve (with the long intro when set opener; we need a long atmospheric first song)
2 - When I'm On Fire (short, fast-tempo song to pick up pace)
3 - Don't Drive On Ice
4 - Show Me On The Doll
5 - Kickline (with some great lyrics!)
6 - Six Ways From Sunday (end of the a-side; my guess is that album version would probably be a bit longer than the live premiere)

7 - I Will Call You
8 - Here (second spot on the b-side, as I think an album version could be just as good as Flood II)
9 - Eyes Of Caligula
10 - Better Reptile
11 - On The Beach
12 - Black Sail

If this turns out to be the exact tracklist of the new, soon-to-arrive album, I think you guys all owe me a beer :)
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

TheGoodSon wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 18:22
abridged wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 22:45 Soon people will be complaining that they don't play enough old songs any more. :wink: :twisted:
Imagine! :lol:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Husek

Planet Dave wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 19:56
Gonna join the mob and say
I miss Arms and Still, I still like them better than the latest batch of songs and I can only imagine that far parade would be equally good.
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Husek wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 20:26
Planet Dave wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 19:56

Gonna join the mob and say
I miss Arms and Still, I still like them better than the latest batch of songs and I can only imagine that far parade would be equally good.
Still as played / recorded at AB 2006 remains as much a Sisters-Masterpiece as all the other Sisters masterpieces. :notworthy: to my old haggard ears at least ;D
Wyrd Sister
Road Kill

Dr. Moody wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 20:16 "But Genevieve" for the Steinman treatment, but as a duet with Dolly Parton or Kylie.
I'd propose Sebnem Ferah, Johnette Napolitano or Anna Calvi.
Much too young but far too old, to be all cranked up with nowhere to go
czuczu
Overbomber

Anna Calvi is nearly always the answer. Steinman being currently dead may be an issue.
Wyrd Sister
Road Kill

czuczu wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 20:51 Anna Calvi is nearly always the answer. Steinman being currently dead may be an issue.
I took OP as meaning Steinman-esque, but yes, death does tend to put a damper on things.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Oh well... :lol: ... we've had a more than 10-year-long phase of revivals of old tracks starting with
Rain From Heaven to Valentine, Amphetamine Logic, Jihad, Body Electric, Kiss The Carpet,
A Rock And A Hard Place and No Time To Cry. With Alice and Marian all.the.time.
And the current new Sisters songs bear some of the artful precision and care of exactly those
old tracks.