Yorkshire Day!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Big Si
School Bully

Swinnow wrote:This always amuses us Merseysiders as we pass it en route from Pudsey into Leeds :lol:

:D

Always good to point out to Lancastrians that the term (which originated from you Merseysiders :wink: ) 'Woollyback' actually refers to them and not us Yorkshire folk :lol:
"The term is believed to have originally referred to the people who worked in wool factories in towns near Liverpool, such as St Helens, Wigan or Widnes. They would walk to Liverpool carrying the wool on their backs, therefore they became known as Woollybacks, and now the term refers to anyone from the county of Lancashire."
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Swinnow
Overbomber

To be honest I think the term (or gentle insult) Woolyback would be thrown at folk from any of the northern mill towns whatever side of the Pennines they are found.

The first occasion I heard a mass communal usage of the term was in my early teens on the Kop watching the Mighty Reds play Dirty Leeds.

Mancunians seem to be exempt, but they have their own special terms of endearment bestowed on them by said Merseysiders.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

By 'eck it's only bloomin' Yorkshire Day again!

Grab yourself a flat cap, pour yourself a mug of Yorkshire tea, tuck into some Yorkshire puddings and listen to The Sisters of course! :D
Pista
Cureboi

Eee. I'm tekkin' me whippets out for a fly
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ecky Thump!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

and

:lol:
Pista
Cureboi

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Charlie
Slight Overbomber