A guide to band t-shirt etiquette

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Pista
Cureboi

In the run up to wear your favourite band t shirt to work day this Friday & following on from the 6 common gig gripes thread, a nice little article including the age old question,"Is it acceptable to wear a band’s t-shirt to their own gig?"
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Zacharias
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

The answer is however 'no'.
Burning 'cross the breeze.
Pista
Cureboi

Zacharias wrote:The answer is however 'no'.
Do you think so? I'd be inclined to say yes.
&, as the merch stand never gives you a bag, it's a darn sight easier to wear the thing.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

How about "I can't give two s**t about what t-shirt etiquette is, I wear what I want"?

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Zacharias

I think it's pretty obvious that you like the band if you're going to their gig.
Burning 'cross the breeze.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

I know it makes me sound elitist and reactionary but what does make me sad is seeing Nirvana and AC/DC, even for goodness' sake Thunder t-shirts in Primark. Worse I even saw a £50 Joy Division shirt in a posh version of Primark. Yeah I know I'm old... :wink:
The Chancer Corporation
Izzy HaveMercy

abridged wrote:I know it makes me sound elitist and reactionary but what does make me sad is seeing Nirvana and AC/DC, even for goodness' sake Thunder t-shirts in Primark. Worse I even saw a £50 Joy Division shirt in a posh version of Primark. Yeah I know I'm old... :wink:
Now THAT is just plain and we know that...

IZ.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

I'm with Iz on this. If people think they can decide what I should and should not wear to a gig, they can stuff it up their arse.
My clothes, my life, my night out, my rules.
I don't actually care what your judgement is of me for what tshirt I wear, but I'm going to judge you very heavily for having that judgement in the first place. Or thinking that it's ok to make it. Or even having the goddamn time to bother with such a ridiculous thing.
Says a lot about people if they sneer at others in this way.
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Pista
Cureboi

Totally agree on yours & Izzy's view.
Whether you wear that band's shirt or not is frankly irrelevant.
I posted this on TCC too & the responses are quite interesting but general consensus is "who the fcuk cares what shirt I wear to a gig?"
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Chaotican

(Who is the panel at a gig judging this breech of etiquette?)

I appreciate when other people wear their band shirts to gigs as it identifies them as fellow fans and I can say hello prior to the show. I rarely wear one myself just in case some freak wants to corner me prior to the show to say hello.

If I’m travelinf for a show, I’m probably wearing a political t-shirt and multi-tasking.

For any non-Sisters shows, I usually wear a Sister’s t-shirt, with the implication being, “wish I were seeing them instead of you, Peter Murphy.�
Pista
Cureboi

Chaotican wrote: For any non-Sisters shows, I usually wear a Sister’s t-shirt, with the implication being, “wish I were seeing them instead of you, Peter Murphy.�
:lol: :lol: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Squeakymouse
Road Kill
Location: The place in the side of our lives where nothing is ever put straight

There was a young lad near me wearing a Black Sabbath t-shirt at a recent Kraftwerk gig
Some days I amaze myself. Other days I put the laundry in the oven.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

"wear what you want" is of course the correct attitude. 9/10 i will wear a "motorhead england" shirt when i'm actually going out somewhere as thats simply my favourite t-shirt. (just got a new one as it goes, god knows how many ive owned over the years.)
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Chaotican wrote: I appreciate when other people wear their band shirts to gigs as it identifies them as fellow fans and I can say hello prior to the show. I rarely wear one myself just in case some freak wants to corner me prior to the show to say hello.
:lol:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Chaotican wrote: I appreciate when other people wear their band shirts to gigs as it identifies them as fellow fans and I can say hello prior to the show. I rarely wear one myself just in case some freak wants to corner me prior to the show to say hello.
:lol:
Tbf recalling aforesaid moterhead tee. It is normal for them to have arms and a neck. :wink:
Goths have feelings too
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

emilystrange wrote:I'm with Iz on this. If people think they can decide what I should and should not wear to a gig, they can stuff it up their arse.
My clothes, my life, my night out, my rules.
I don't actually care what your judgement is of me for what tshirt I wear, but I'm going to judge you very heavily for having that judgement in the first place. Or thinking that it's ok to make it. Or even having the goddamn time to bother with such a ridiculous thing.
Says a lot about people if they sneer at others in this way.
:notworthy: :notworthy:

I can't be doing with this band fan snobbery 'you should be wearing this, not wearing that, you're not a real fan cos you've not been to 'this' , 'that, or 't'other' gigs.
When it comes to clothing, everyone should be able to express themselves as they see fit and not be judged!
There's a lot more to be concerned about in this world than what shirt someone has on! :roll: :lol:
Izzy HaveMercy

On the other hand, I saw this question pass me by on the Farcebook as well:

"Should a band wear their own band t-shirts on stage?"

I would say no, I never did it anyway with any of my bands, but I wouldn't mind much if the band on stage did. Again, can't be arsed about dresscode.

Apart from Black Metal bands, of course, they should wear the spikes and belts and corpsepaint, coz I'm old's cool like that ;)

IZ.
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote: "Should a band wear their own band t-shirts on stage?"
Again, really doesn't bother me either way.
I guess this is done more by less well-known bands to promote themselves more.

The Sisters wore their own shirts from the beginning and still do so now, i think it's fine.
:von: should come on stage wearing one of those bootlegs shirts with just his face on, that would be funny!

He and the band can wear what they like as far as i'm concerned.....except maybe mankinis, not sure i could take that.....then again i probably would :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Should a band wear an American Football Shirt on stage? :wink:
The Chancer Corporation
Izzy HaveMercy

abridged wrote:Should a band wear an American Football Shirt on stage? :wink:
You only wear an American Football shirt when you are an actual American Footballer actually playing or going to play a game in the next hour or so. Period.

IZ.
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
You only wear an American Football shirt when you are an actual American Footballer actually playing or going to play a game in the next hour or so. Period.

IZ.
To be fair he was wearing it with pads underneath, so may have been on the way to play in a Pop Warner game.
Izzy HaveMercy

EmmaPeelWannaBe wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:

IZ.
To be fair he was wearing it with pads underneath, so may have been on the way to play in a Pop Warner game.
He's excused then! ;D

IZ.
Swinnow
Overbomber

I may well be wearing my 'Jesus Loves...' tee-shirt at the Cooper/Mish/Tubes gig on Saturday in Leeds.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Pista
Cureboi

Swinnow wrote:I may well be wearing my 'Jesus Loves...' tee-shirt at the Cooper/Mish/Tubes gig on Saturday in Leeds.
Hello stranger :D
Hope you get right down the front :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Swinnow
Overbomber

Alright mate, I'm on the 8th row so I'm sure my old mucker Wayne will see me lol
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....