RIP Mark E Smith

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Mothra
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Gutted. The first time I've ever felt the need to reply to one of these RIP threads. I spent some weeks late last year checking their website (whilst in the middle of 90s Fall binge) almost daily expecting to see this news. I thought it was all over after the Bristol gig cancellation. There was something about the way the band looked as they faced the audience that suggested things had got way, way more serious.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

I felt a little jolt in the soul area when i heard.
He had much more influence on me than Bowie or Lemmy, great as they were.
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
mh
Above the Chemist

Mark was another one who was supposed to be immortal.

I'd been listening to a lot of the Fall lately; guess I'll go listen to some more. :(
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

radio 6 are Falling all night.
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Pista
Cureboi

Fcuk no! :(
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
scotty
Overbomber

Gutted at this, really gutted.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Swinnow
Overbomber

Gutted too, he wasn't bad for a Manc ;-)
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

Cr@p
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

He was one of a kind. RIP.

Looks like, this is and gonna be another f**ked up year.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Honestly (don't shoot me!), I had to look up what songs The Fall are famous for, and when I heard some songs, I now know why. And I also understand why so many of you held the band so dear.
Searching the man's Wiki also ain't a good thing to do to sympathise with the guy, is it?
Seems that his unpredictable behaviour was often the cause for chaotic gigs and fights onstage... not really my kind of musician, I fear.

Then again, sometimes you need people to kick the ass of the mainstream. Fare thee well, mister!

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Swinnow wrote:Gutted too, he wasn't bad for a Manc ;-)
Zalford, please! :lol:

There are no words. :cry:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Knoe
Road Kill

Aw... sad..

But it is something we should get used to - good musicians dying on us, I mean.

I'm grateful that all of TSOM are alive and hopefully we will still get to hear some excellent new music from them.

None of us are going to live forever - but the music will go on
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

:( i cant say i was a big fall fan but mark was a true visionary like say throbbing gristle or bowie. spoiled victorian child is a fab song and one of my dearest memories is being in the cool kat in notts serenading this cute as f**k girl called Victoria with the song victoria and getting her into bed.
so mr smith, just for getting me laid, RIP
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Pista
Cureboi

great snippet from a Richard Skinner interview

:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

"There was this other group warming up, and they were terrible. I said 'Shut them c**t up!' And they were still warming up. So I threw a bottle at them." – Mark E Smith on Mumford & Sons
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

LEVIATION have been kicked off The Fall's tour after just three dates, claiming that Mark E Smith called them "a bunch of f**king crusty poofs". Smith is denying the allegations, which allegedly occurred during an argument between The Fall's singer and Levitation's sound engineer.

The trouble began on the early dates of the tour. Smith claims that Levitation were taking up to an hour and a half each night to soundcheck and were using too much dry ice during their set. Matters came to a head on the third date of the tour, at Leicester Polytechnic last Monday (March 16). During a backstage altercation before the show, Smith allegedly tried to pick a fight with members of Levitation. When they refused his invitation, he allegedly said: "You might as well pack your bags now and f**k right off."

When contacted by a spokeswoman for The Fall, Smith said he was provoked by Levitation's Terry Bickers and alleged that the Levitation guitarist threatened "to take his eye out".

A statement issued by Levitation says that "even as fans they found it impossible to work under Smith's oppressive regime". "We're not into character assassination, but we couldn't work under the atmosphere he was creating," Levitation guitarist Christian Hayes said. Their manager, Biddy Nolan, added that the band were "disgusted and upset with Smith's attitude". The Sandmen have now taken over as support group on the tour. Moose and Max also appear at the Fall's Brixton Academy show.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Pista
Cureboi

I've been looking at some of the award acceptances he made.
The NME god-like genius one is hilarious. :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eastmidswhizzkid

Knoe wrote:
I'm grateful that all of TSOM are alive
only counting the current line-up (2 of whom are way younger than most of us!) we have previously lost chris sheehan and of course ofra haza.

Being645
Above the Chemist

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Knoe wrote:
only counting the current line-up (2 of whom are way younger than most of us!) we have previously lost chris sheehan and of course ofra haza.
All very true, Lee, and sadly so ...

As to Mark E Smith ... The Fall, yeah ... some time early they definitely caught my attention ...

But then, when you chose to change your life from dark city night squatting to greek gambling
in order to check how much of a petty bourgois you possible are ... Image ... a lot of things get lost ...

RIP, Mark E Smith ... at least The Fall remain ... and if - for me - something to explore ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I think John Peel said it best: "they are always different; they are always the same."
—Bertrand Russell
Knoe
Road Kill

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Knoe wrote:
oooops, you are right of course. RIP Chris and Ofra!

When writing that I wasn't so much thinking about the current line up but of the Marx-Eldritch-Adams-Gunn/Hussey-time. And these are thankfully also still with us.
eastmidswhizzkid

Knoe wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Knoe wrote:
oooops, you are right of course. RIP Chris and Ofra!

When writing that I wasn't so much thinking about the current line up but of the Marx-Eldritch-Adams-Gunn/Hussey-time. And these are thankfully also still with us.
amen to that...

UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

RIP. The albums with Brix are stamped in my brain forever.
zaltys7
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... e-14266255

would he/you want it any other way :lol:
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.