Paint My Name In Black and Gold: The Next Phase

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
mh
Above the Chemist

Maryboo wrote: 16 May 2022, 05:40 Amazon USA has it in stock. I just checked. Ships from Amazon. I ordered mine the morning of 05/08 and received it the morning if 05/09. As I came to the party rather late, I’m learning a lot. Very interesting and enjoyable book.
Welcome seconded.

It occurs to me that it's a brilliant time to be a new Sisters fan. There's loads of information out, 3 excellent books (yes, I'm even including W- H-'s), the band are touring, stronger than they've been in years, with excellent new songs, and who knows - if the stars align right, we might even see the unthinkable and unmentionable happen. If not, there are excellent reissues of the old material to keep listening to as well, and sure, it could be better and there could be more, but we actually have more this year than we've had in decades. :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Mine arrived today (with scuffed up bottom), from amazon, ordered a week ago. Very chuffed!!
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

mh wrote: 16 May 2022, 12:54
Maryboo wrote: 16 May 2022, 05:40 Amazon USA has it in stock. I just checked. Ships from Amazon. I ordered mine the morning of 05/08 and received it the morning if 05/09. As I came to the party rather late, I’m learning a lot. Very interesting and enjoyable book.
Welcome seconded.

It occurs to me that it's a brilliant time to be a new Sisters fan. There's loads of information out, 3 excellent books (yes, I'm even including W- H-'s), the band are touring, stronger than they've been in years, with excellent new songs, and who knows - if the stars align right, we might even see the unthinkable and unmentionable happen. If not, there are excellent reissues of the old material to keep listening to as well, and sure, it could be better and there could be more, but we actually have more this year than we've had in decades. :notworthy:
i agree. and you HAVE to include Wayne's Salad Daze as its the straight from the Gargoyle's mouth (its ok, i can call him that, i'm friends with his wife :P ) You can ignore the non-sisters bits of it if you like. funny, but i get the impression that Wayne was compelled to write about the Sisters rather than the Mish anyway. maybe there wont ever be a sequel covering the less controversial bits of his carreer. i dont care either way.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Maryboo
Road Kill

Thank you Pista and mh for the welcome!
This is a wonderful time not only for new Sisters fans given the smorgasbord of videos, recordings, books and the tour. Besides bingeing on the latest tour videos, (and blessings on everyone who has posted to YouTube), I’m enjoying listening to the early studio recording of a song and then going to YouTube to see how the song has been presented by each band line up and through the tours. TSOM remains dynamic and evolving.
TheGoodSon
Amphetamine Filth

This summer I pre-ordered the paperback edition of "Paint My Name..." (with foreword by Gary Marx) through Amazon. Amazon states that the release date for the book is November 24, which is tomorrow. Does anyone have any info on whether or not it will actually be released then? Mr Andrews himself, perhaps?
The dominant need of the needy soul is to be needed.
MAndrews
Amphetamine Filth

24 Nov was the official publication date. I have author copies. A German version 'Black Planet Der Aufstieg Der Sisters of Mercy' out on the same day. I also have copies. No these are actual things!
satanarchist
Road Kill

My GF (now ex) gifted me a copy this summer. Read it over a weekend. Loved it. Synopsis: Everyone liked Andy Taylor, NO ONE likes Andrew Eldritch, lol.
GC
Slight Overbomber

satanarchist wrote: 09 Dec 2022, 21:30 My GF (now ex) gifted me a copy this summer. Read it over a weekend. Loved it. Synopsis: Everyone liked Andy Taylor, NO ONE likes Andrew Eldritch, lol.
:lol:
Jan
Amphetamine Filth

MAndrews wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 12:22 24 Nov was the official publication date. I have author copies. A German version 'Black Planet Der Aufstieg Der Sisters of Mercy' out on the same day. I also have copies. No these are actual things!
German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine have written an article about Mark‘s book.

https://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/ ... 47959.html
"For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal." (John F. Kennedy, 1963)
ruffers
Overbomber

Yesterday I stumbled across this on Spotify. It's a podcast called Booked on Rock about, er, books on rock, and this episode is quite a long interview with Mr Andrews about the book. I'm only about half way through but it's a good listen.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/30F8HT ... 0462de4e49

I can't see this referred to anywhere else - apologies if bindun.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Gothicbiff
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

ruffers wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 10:13 Yesterday I stumbled across this on Spotify. It's a podcast called Booked on Rock about, er, books on rock, and this episode is quite a long interview with Mr Andrews about the book. I'm only about half way through but it's a good listen.

Thanks for the link Paul!
I'll give this a listen later
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
Rantz Hoseley
Road Kill

Got the book via an indie bookstore on Monday.

Couldn't put it down.

Finished it last night.

Really brilliant writing. Loved it.
eastmidswhizzkid

Rantz Hoseley wrote: 10 Feb 2023, 17:59 Got the book via an indie bookstore on Monday.

Couldn't put it down.

Finished it last night.

now you need Trevors book "Waitng For Another War" if you havent already got it.

mh
Above the Chemist

Get Wayne's as well. The three of them really go well together, and Wayne's is an essential piece.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
eastmidswhizzkid

mh wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 07:18 Get Wayne's as well. The three of them really go well together, and Wayne's is an essential piece.
agreed. be nice if Mark (Gary Marx ) wrote one.

Rantz Hoseley
Road Kill

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 00:24
Rantz Hoseley wrote: 10 Feb 2023, 17:59 Got the book via an indie bookstore on Monday.

Couldn't put it down.

Finished it last night.

now you need Trevors book "Waitng For Another War" if you havent already got it.
Trying to locate it for sale in the US now!
Wilkstein
Road Kill

Fantastic book from start to finish. Couldn't get enough of it.
sullen
Road Kill

Wow I finished reading black and gold last night. Such a great book, so well written.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Tales of bands forming, burning bright, then imploding due to reason x y and z are ten-a-penny and largely unoriginal and dull, so I've put off picking Charlie's copy off the shelf for a good while now. However I finally did so and it seems I know fk all, the book is superbly written and thoroughly entertaining, helped by the quality of the sources of information, not least Mr Marx of course. Only halfway through and fkng loving it, congratulations on a masterpiece Sir :notworthy:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Incoming!
Amphetamine Filth

Glad to hear the book is really good. It's my next in line to read. I'm currently reading a trash novel. Mindless and numbing. :innocent: Hey, I don't want to read anything serious before bed. :)
This place is death with walls
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Blitzed through the remainder last night. Perfect, the 'Gift' / Lucas Fox / Sisterhood / Max Hole / Corrosion detail easily as interesting as everything that preceded it. Leaves me wanting to know more about what followed, for sure this is the final word on Phase One so far as i'm concerned. Congratulations on this work of art.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Incoming!
Amphetamine Filth

ruffers wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 10:13 Yesterday I stumbled across this on Spotify. It's a podcast called Booked on Rock about, er, books on rock, and this episode is quite a long interview with Mr Andrews about the book. I'm only about half way through but it's a good listen.

Thanks for posting the link. I found the interview both fun and informative. 8)
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Thanks for sharing that! Hadn't seen or heard any promo about the podcast.

It's a great listen and @MAndrews is a great interviewee - the passion and knowledge is obvious, and its a very engaging 1hr and 20 mins :)

Full details of the podcast - and links to all the various platforms it's available on - are here:

https://www.bookedonrock.com/podcast/ep ... episode-45
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Incoming!
Amphetamine Filth

What an extremely well researched work. (That always impresses me a great deal when rating books). The details made you feel as if you were part of the story - especially for someone who grew up in a very different environment in the states. (I still don't get some of the English slang. ;) ) Overall very entertaining book.
Valentine
Road Kill

Incoming! wrote: 21 Jun 2023, 23:52

Thanks for posting the link. I found the interview both fun and informative. 8)
found it on Podcast Addict. A thoroughly enjoyable interview!
thanks for the heads up!