Mera Luna 12.08.00

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Questions guys ...

As Snub Nose finishes, Von (in a jolly mood for once) announces "Ladies and gentlemen; Mr Chris Starling and the legendary Mr Whammmmmy!"

The Doktor starts his This Corrossion shuffle and Von announces "On the tombola ...Lewis!(I think)"

Tombola? I tried cockney rhyming slang but got nowhere.

Lewis? Could be another name.

Having said that, the backing vocals on TC are very good (even drowns him out on the last verse "I've got nothing to say etc etc') and it does sound like too good voices One possible female? But then again I can't listen to any version of TC without the NYCS harmonies switching on automatically in my head.

'Bei Mir Bist Du Schon' What is this? Can any of our german friends help us out with a translation. As it stands at the moment, just listening to the tune and not understanding a single word, I'll go to my grave believing that this was Von's attempt to get The Sisters to represent Germany at Eurovision but failed as they were pipped at the post by a man in leather shorts with an accordian.
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
Jim
Slight Overbomber

I love that boot but mine stops after "mr whammy" and then TC kicks in :-(

It would be interesting to see a translastion for Bei Mir - it's an old Jewish song isn't it? Originally performed by the Andrews Sisters (geddit?) Either way, it's a class choon.
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
Loki

Jim wrote:Either way, it's a class choon.
:urff: Maybe it'll grow on me. I'll check the track listing on my boot.
I'm sure it will say Bei Mir ... (Europop Rock Mix).
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

Johnny Boy wrote: The Doktor starts his This Corrossion shuffle and Von announces "On the tombola ...Lewis!(I think)"
It's NURSE! :wink: (as in Nurse to the Doctor). On this occasion I believe it was Simon Denbeigh (correct sp?) of March Violets fame.

I think the 'Tombola' reference comes from the fact that Nurse presses the button to start each song.
The Scene won't save you...
Loki

Scardwel wrote:
Johnny Boy wrote: The Doktor starts his This Corrossion shuffle and Von announces "On the tombola ...Lewis!(I think)"
It's NURSE! :wink: (as in Nurse to the Doctor). On this occasion I believe it was Simon Denbeigh (correct sp?) of March Violets fame.

I think the 'Tombola' reference comes from the fact that Nurse presses the button to start each song.
Ahhhh! :notworthy: I was just walking back from the post office thinking "Tombola? Tombola? Tombola machine ...drum machine ...Doktor? Start up Doktor?". Any idea on the "Lewis" reference? If indeed it is Lewis ... :von:
Jim
Slight Overbomber

NURSE! He already said that ;-)
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
Loki

Jim wrote:NURSE! He already said that ;-)
:oops: The batteries are going in my hearing aid. The eye sight isn't what it used to be ...mumble, mumble ...

* Shuffles off into his twlight years with his tail firmly between his legs *
Jim
Slight Overbomber

Nurse.....strangely appropriate eh Johnny? :P
Loki

Jim wrote:Nurse.....strangely appropriate eh Johnny? :P
And she looks after me mighty, mighty fine. :wink:
samplehead
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Hi,

Bei mir bist du schön - means To "Me, You Are Beautiful"

and it was originally a yiddish song here are two links

http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/newbo ... irbist.htm

you can fin the lyrics and something where it comes from

http://www.yiddishradioproject.org/exhi ... hotos&pg=2

there is a another german word "wunderbar" -> "excellent"

hope that helps

samplehead
khepri II

Toronto 28/09/99

"well we were going to handout lyric sheets but there's not that many of you can read Hebrew" :lol: :lol: :lol: :von:
Just remember this. This rabble you keep talking about does most of the working, paying and dying in this community.
Loki

With thanks to Samplehead :notworthy:

"Bei Mir Bist Du Schon" means "To Me, You Are Beautiful"
lyrics as recorded November 24, 1937 by The Andrews Sisters

Of all the boys I've known, and I've known some
Until I first met you, I was lonesome
And when you came in sight, dear, my heart grew light
And this old world seemed new to me

You're really swell, I have to admit you
Deserve expressions that really fit you
And so I've racked my brain, hoping to explain
All the things that you do to me

Bei mir bist du schon, please let me explain
Bei mir bist du schon means you're grand
Bei mir bist du schon, again I'll explain
It means you're the fairest in the land

I could say "Bella, bella", even say "Wunderbar"
Each language only helps me tell you how grand you are

I've tried to explain, bei mir bist du schon
So kiss me and say you understand

Bei mir bist du schon, you've heard it all before
but let me try to explain
Bei mir bist du schon means that you're grand
Bei mir bist du schon, it's such an old refrain
and yet I should explain
It means I am begging for your hand

------ instrumental break ------

I've tried to explain, bei mir bist du schon
So kiss me and say that you will understand

Lyrics kindly provided by Wayne (Wayne ..!!??? :eek: )
Jim
Slight Overbomber

I used to wonder what in the world he was on about with the lyrics "By Me and Mr Shane".

Dickhead that I am.
khepri II

khepri II wrote:Toronto 28/09/99

"well we were going to handout lyric sheets but there's not that many of you can read Hebrew" :lol: :lol: :lol: :von:

"go on then get your yar yar's out".

And I thought he was being rude :oops:

apparently they're skull caps :?
Just remember this. This rabble you keep talking about does most of the working, paying and dying in this community.
Loki

Jim wrote:I used to wonder what in the world he was on about with the lyrics "By Me and Mr Shane".
:lol:

By the way (and I'm not word perfect), after TC it's something like 'mumble, mumble', 'danke', 'mumble, mumble', 'last song ...' which suggests to me he's implying, 'We're now gonna play our last song', presumably VT(?).

So once again, that strange, incredibly frustrating beast know as a Sisters Bootlegger, has lauched the boot to the masses, minus the closing track.
They no doubt sit at home jerking off to VT, smug and ecstatic in the knowledge that they have the complete recording. It makes me very cross. :evil:

Or I'm talking bollox. Again. :roll:
khepri II

http://tours.tsom.org/2000/concerts/20000812.htm

usually tells the truth.

brilliant site :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Jim
Slight Overbomber

Johnny Boy wrote:
Jim wrote:I used to wonder what in the world he was on about with the lyrics "By Me and Mr Shane".
:lol:

By the way (and I'm not word perfect), after TC it's something like 'mumble, mumble', 'danke', 'mumble, mumble', 'last song ...' which suggests to me he's implying, 'We're now gonna play our last song', presumably VT(?).

So once again, that strange, incredibly frustrating beast know as a Sisters Bootlegger, has lauched the boot to the masses, minus the closing track.
They no doubt sit at home jerking off to VT, smug and ecstatic in the knowledge that they have the complete recording. It makes me very cross. :evil:

Or I'm talking bollox. Again. :roll:
Like I said, my versions missing loads of songs from the gig - it's called "Mei Mir Bist Du Schon" and it's really nicely packaged, but theyve missed a bunch of tunes, which is always a bit of a shame.
Loki

khepri II wrote:http://tours.tsom.org/2000/concerts/20000812.htm

usually tells the truth.

brilliant site :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
I stand corrected :notworthy: I am talking bollox. Just didn't sound like an gig ending, ie 'Thank you and goodnight!. A bit flat maybe. Oh well ...
Loki

Jim wrote: Like I said, my versions missing loads of songs from the gig - it's called "Mei Mir Bist Du Schon" and it's really nicely packaged, but theyve missed a bunch of tunes, which is always a bit of a shame.
I was also seduced by the packaging on mine (nearly up to JansenClone's standards :wink: ) and handed over my hard-earned pension. It was tracklisted as 16 songs. Imagine my disgust and disappointement the first time I slotted it into the hi-fi, waited thru the little whirling noise, and the track total flashing light said ...18!

Sometimes, you do win. Sometimes.