2019-09-16, Antwerpen, Belgium. Near Meth Experience

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters live in 2019
Gift
Road Kill

dinky daisy wrote: To me, these 'Trix' recordings could belong to a mediocre northern European goth rock combo that mentions the sisters in the bio. It's no industrial groove machine (anymore), it's a drum pattern and some humming along with a (hair) metal sound at best.
I did wonder when Doro would shop up during Kickline...

It was al little less energetic compared to last time I saw them, or even to the previous time in the bigger Trix venue, but the video doesn't do full justice to the sweaty live experience and to the proximity factor you don't get in the usual Sisters settings. Great fun.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

They are actually *doing* something now, not just going through the motions like in the last almost 20 years.
Of course they don't sound like in 98, why would they? And mind you, I *loved* the Varjak years above everything.

It is a long long time since I felt so excited about the Sisters.
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Well i'm still super hyped about this - have been all morning, very happy!

As some of you know, i only discovered the Sisters later on when all their songs were already known, i never expected any new ones and i was perfectly happy with that - i totally respect whatever Andrew wants to do, but for me to actually see new songs revealed as they happen and to get to experience that is immense!!

This is hugely positive and i'm very excited too, i love the songs and i think Andrew sounds damn fine!

:D :D :D
Pista
Cureboi

I'm over the moon with the new material.
Even via a smart phone video capture.
Good to hear them go back to a more melodical sound & let's not forget, they are still more or less works in progress. Even Von mentioned they were still arguing about the words for Kickline. So they could easily evolve into "finished articles".
& if they get a favourable reception (if they do crop up during the rest of the tour) who knows? Could there be further titles? A shiny new release?
We can only wait & see I guess
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eotunun
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Been listening to this for a couple of hours now, and I have to admit I was pretty pleased with three new songs on the playlist....

... but I'm going to have to do a Ja~mes (TM) here. :/

"Better Reptile" should be called "Worse Summer", apart from the catchy lyric, its just a hollowed out version of "Summer", even sounds a bit like "Dr. Jeep".

"Kickline" shows the most potential, but it is still just a good riff idea, not a complete and full song, something other bands will never come out of the rehearsal room with, only to show to their friends and grandma maybe. Finish the songs, make them complete, then blow us away, Sisters.

I feel you can!

IZ.
Meh. The resemblance may be there, but it's only skin deep. …to pick up the lyrics of the refrain. :innocent:
Better Reptile has a way more eery and manic feel to it than the spite, the I-blow-my-nose-at-you in Dr. Jeep or the deep, sad drama in Summer.

Please note that a free gig under a none-official band name *is* the band playing to Grandma and friends. The NME-gigs always were a vehicle for such experiments. That's why they are free and strangely unavailable.

What with Show Me, Selena said in a chat that it reminded her of Susanne. I agree, only Show Me seems to go much deeper still, Susanne was full of yearning and being bedazzled whereas I would describe Show Me as being really tender and intimate. Like Susanne, only in way deeper. Image
There is shadow under this red rock
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

I need lyrics and soon before i end up singing some crazy bastardised version of these new songs! :lol: :lol:

Hope they finalise things soon and put the lyrics on the site.

Pretty please! :kiss: :von:
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:I'm over the moon with the new material.
Even via a smart phone video capture.
Good to hear them go back to a more melodical sound & let's not forget, they are still more or less works in progress. Even Von mentioned they were still arguing about the words for Kickline. So they could easily evolve into "finished articles".
& if they get a favourable reception (if they do crop up during the rest of the tour) who knows? Could there be further titles? A shiny new release?
We can only wait & see I guess
Indeed. And also a good point by Etorun that free Near Meth gigs are experiments to see how things are received and sound. I'm excited to have a few new songs anyhoo. :)
The Chancer Corporation
Being645
Above the Chemist

With not too much sleep over the past few days and the travel to Antwerp and back I needed a long rest. And I'm still not fully sorted, but hell ... :lol: ...

The concert was great. The TRIX is a small venue with a low stage, so everybody could see the band alright... :D ...
And the audience did celebrate the band right from the beginning ... because everybody was soo pleased to be there ... :lol: :notworthy: ;D ...
and even more so with indeed new songs... ;D ;D ;D ...

The view of seeing the NME perform was indeed something special for me ... *hah, yes ;D ... and I fully enjoyed that it fitted so perfectly with my time ...
but hell, there's not been much difference to a Sisters gig, actually, apart from the size of the venue. In larger venues, when they perform as The Sisters of Mercy,
the atmosphere can well be the same. .... it was just lovely and great fun and I don't doubt that wonderful concerts are ahead all over this tour.... :lol: :kiss: ;D ...

I haven't seen the videos yet and looking forward to it, I hope that the whole thing has been recorded in full, because it was great pleasure and fun.
All of the new songs are exciting, already somewhat elaborate. And very different from each other, not just some same hook but very diverse ... wonderful ... ;D ;D ;D ...
Of course, there was no way to understand all of the lyrics, but this is the time of development anyway, so never mind about that...
I had not expected the instrumental to remain an instrumental. It is lovely and diverse and the perfect basis for some full song, IMHO.
Or maybe it's just lacking a title ... :wink: :lol: ... Anyway, it's surely not upon me to decide about such stuff.

So for me the concert was wonderful ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ;D ... and I wish great joy and pleasure to everybody who can make it to the coming gigs ... :D ;D ...
and for some wonderful videos and recordings for the rest of us ... *please, please, please ... :kiss: ...
and for a wonderful, exciting, enriching and relaxing tour for the band ... I love you all, you're great ... no worries ... ;D :kiss: ...

Finally, it was also a great pleasure for me to meet all the known people, who made it there ... :D :D :D ... *greetings from here ...
and all the others I've met... :D :D :D ... some of whom had never seen The Sisters before... it's nice to communicate a bit and meet people,
and although it's mostly for the moment only and I might forget names and even faces, I'm always looking forward to the next time ... :D ...
Depprocksfarfar
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

A VERY drunk Ravey Davey just don't want to die!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... =607382050 :lol:
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Depprocksfarfar wrote:A VERY drunk Ravey Davey just don't want to die!

:lol: :lol: :notworthy:
Being645
Above the Chemist

Charlie wrote:

A pity we can't see it here, but the first picture looks very funny already... :lol: ...
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Charlie wrote:

From the Indiana Jones plane to the Titanic - here's part 2

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2hnSjlnExm/

:lol: :lol:
Jeremiah

The "arguing about the words" thing makes me curious about whether someone other than Von has a part in writing the words for these new songs, or at least Kickline.
I tried to tell her
About Marx and Eldritch, God and angels
I don't really know what for.
Dust Witch
Amphetamine Filth

Or he's got some lyrics knocking about and doesn't know which song to put them to?
Being645
Above the Chemist

Charlie wrote:From the Indiana Jones plane to the Titanic - here's part 2

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2hnSjlnExm/

:lol: :lol:
Ah ok, I can see it now. Isn't that what we used to call Teenage Rampage ... :lol: :lol: ...
Christian

Being645
Above the Chemist

A nice review ... :D ... and nice photos! ... :notworthy: :D ... Thank you ... :D ...
ROBBIE

Loved the review. Thank you for sharing
"Genevieve, I think you're lovely But Genevieve, it's time” TSOM 2020