Gift reissue plus extras

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
taylor
Slight Overbomber

robertzombie wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 15:32 I compared the whole thing against the original Merciful Release CD, level matched and lined up in WaveLab.

Jihad and Colours sound pretty good on this CD, maybe better than the original. There seems to be a bit more top end detail and they make the original CD sound slightly dull in comparison.

Giving Ground is a different mix that we've not heard before. It is very close to the finished album mix, but some of the final vocal panning isn't present and there is some excessive delay in places. It sounds like an 'almost there' mix.

Finland Red, Egypt White has a touch too much compression making it sound flat compared to the original CD, which pops in comparison.

Nothing to say about Rain From Heaven.

The two tracks that aren't faded out, Colours and Rain From Heaven, are interesting to hear but they don't contain any new music.

Overall this CD is pretty good. If you don't own Gift on CD then buy this and you'll be okay.
agree 100 %
GG new mix
colours and rain from heaven not faded respect original cd, probably due a drop at end on originals
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Compared to the original cassette? Can't be bothered checking myself
Goths have feelings too
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

robertzombie wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 15:32 I compared the whole thing against the original Merciful Release CD, level matched and lined up in WaveLab.

Jihad and Colours sound pretty good on this CD, maybe better than the original. There seems to be a bit more top end detail and they make the original CD sound slightly dull in comparison.

Giving Ground is a different mix that we've not heard before. It is very close to the finished album mix, but some of the final vocal panning isn't present and there is some excessive delay in places. It sounds like an 'almost there' mix.

Finland Red, Egypt White has a touch too much compression making it sound flat compared to the original CD, which pops in comparison.

Nothing to say about Rain From Heaven.

The two tracks that aren't faded out, Colours and Rain From Heaven, are interesting to hear but they don't contain any new music.

Overall this CD is pretty good. If you don't own Gift on CD then buy this and you'll be okay.
and the master has spoken. (thats not sarcasm -our Rob knows his onions. )
i can ignore this thread now, thank fukk :lol:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
robertzombie
Overbomber

haha
robertzombie
Overbomber

paint it black wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 20:55 Compared to the original cassette? Can't be bothered checking myself
Me neither
Headingly
Road Kill

I got given a copy for my birthday by my well trained descendants which was nice as I didn't already have it.

It is pretty much the blackest CD in my collection, including the playing side.

On a nostalgic note I remember handling a lone copy of the vinyl version of this in my local HMV back in the 80s and wondering what it sounded like.
Q: Is space curved?
A: It is in Leeds
ruffers
Overbomber

From Cadiz -

"Cadiz Merch
The Sisterhood - Gift

In Stock Now - Digipack CD with all black disc

Music Cassette (Limited edition music cassette stock running low, so don't miss out)

A Cadiz Music/Merciful Release

Vinyl delayed due to pressing plant problems, but it's coming soon.

Buy Now

Sisters Of Mercy - Greatest Hits Vol 1 - 2LP
Sisters Of Mercy - Greatest Hits Vol 1 - 2LP
Shop now
We are now handling The Sisters Of Mercy Official band t-shirts

We will have stock in the next couple of weeks. So get your pre-orders in."

Let's see how well that works out..
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
DomConway
Filth

Update from Cadiz on the vinyl - "Vinyl delayed due to pressing plant problems, but it's coming soon." I imagine RSD might have something to do with that...
the only thing to fear is fear itself
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Vinyl available 12/5/23 1000 copies
preorder
https://cadizmerchstore.com/collections ... 3248210999
Phantasmagoria
Road Kill

Despite my protestations on the previous page that I wouldn't be buying a copy (hey, I almost believed it myself - but I'm a weak, weak man), I've just received my clear vinyl from Cadiz. Quiet, flat vinyl and sounds very good to me, but I haven't done a back-to-back with the original yet. As you'd expect, it's from the same tape as the CD, accompanied by the same dodgy endings to Colours and Rain From Heaven and the other oddities previously mentioned on here.

Packaging is decent - sleeve is a nice matte black, coloured black on the inside, coming with a black postcard insert with Giving Ground lyrics and a black paper inner. All very black and appropriate. Vinyl is a milky transparent, slightly marbled looking thing - kind of the colour of dirty dishwater. Personally, I think a white vinyl pressing would have suited it better, but whatever. All copies are numbered on the backside of the sleeve - mine is 250/1000 - "two five zero", which again seemed apt.

Not a necessary purchase for anyone who already owns it on vinyl, but decent enough, a bit of a curio due to the alternate tape used and cost a good deal less than the RSD Reptile House. I picked up a Body Electric and Floodland t-shirt from Cadiz for £15 apiece at the same time - rare to find shirts at that price point these days. They show it though - thin material and small-ish print, with no back prints or frills. Pretty much what I expected - decent little haul for the price, but nothing special.
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Silver Vinyl available 8/3/24 1000 copies
Preorder
https://cadizmerchstore.com/products/th ... 9972&_ss=r
Being645
Above the Chemist

Pat wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 17:49 Silver Vinyl available 8/3/24 1000 copies
Preorder
Incredible ... :eek: :eek: ... I had not expected Cadiz to come up with anything really, and now this issue ... oh hell, hard to resist ... if I can ... :innocent: ...
Pista
Cureboi

Preorder
At this stage it's amazing Cadiz haven't renamed it Grift :|
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

Pista wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 20:05
Preorder
... :lol: ... let's hope that somehow The Sisters profit from that as well ...
Pista
Cureboi

Being645 wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 20:38
Preorder
Indeed.
But, as we are constantly reminded, there's no money in releasing records anymore, it seems unlikely .
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

Pista wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 21:11

Indeed.
But, as we are constantly reminded, there's no money in releasing records anymore, it seems unlikely .
Image Image Image
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 21:34
Pista wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 21:11

Indeed.
Image Image Image
The singer and main composer for the band Alestorm (Pirate themed Heavy Metal band) has often publicly stated on the bands Reddit page "The band gets like $20 every time you buy a shirt, we get like $0.50 if you buy a CD"

So yes, Von might get a few quid from Gift reissues (if he still owns all the publishing rights) but he'll make much more than that from the merch sales at the gig in France last night.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Gothicbiff
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I still have my original vinyl.
So i didn't buy the re-release vinyl last year, tho I did buy the CD
But.....this re-re-release had me hooked at "silver vinyl" :eek:
So I have purchased it. Hope it's as pretty to look at as the description suggests :lol:
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
nomad
Amphetamine Filth

Goddammit…
ruffers
Overbomber

It'll go with cassette I can't play and my original vinyl I can't play and my cd I can't play all because I don't have the equipment to hand

Ordered. :lol:
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Begemot
Road Kill

My copy just arrived now! Very nice it looks too...Makes a nice change after waitng years for the CD...
Gothicbiff
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

My copy has just arrived too. Number 526 of 1000
I'm a bit underwhelmed. The silver vinyl looks more like pale grey to me. Oh well :?
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
Electrochrome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

So what's the verdict on the re-release? I bought this on CD maybe 15 years ago and it's been perfectly fine. How does the new one sound?
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
robm
Amphetamine Filth

My casette doesn't have the Sisterhood on it. :lol:

I may just record the CD onto it.

Also I don't seem to be able to change my username here so I'm going to create a new account (rheaplex) and use that from now on. :von:
Pista
Cureboi

robm wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 05:11 My casette doesn't have the Sisterhood on it. :lol:

I may just record the CD onto it.

Also I don't seem to be able to change my username here so I'm going to create a new account (rheaplex) and use that from now on. :von:
I would change your username for you, but the search function has sort of borked up the admin control panel a bit.
PM me with the new username & I'll see if I can get the boss to use a back door somehow
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity