Most Sisters Gigs Other Than Eldritch

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Mothra
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I'm leaving my job soon, so find myself with less and less to do between 9am and 5pm. Today's effort to give the illusion I was working was to find out who (other than Von and the Doctor) has played the most gigs under the Sisters/Near Meth Experience/Speed Kings name.

I was quite surprised at the outcome. The 5 Latin American shows at the end of 2019 put Ben into the lead as the most prolifically gigging Sister.

Si Denbigh was previously the record holder, on 309 shows, Ben is now up to 314.

Chris Catalyst clocked up an impressive 281 shows, with Craig (221 shows) the clear leader from the first cycle of the band (and this could be subject to correction, as I know he missed some shows, but not sure which/how many).

Happy to share more stats, but appreciate that this is the sort of work that can only interest a bored bloke with way too much time on his hands. Thanks for the indulgence, I'll understand if you need to ban me for crossing the boundaries of nerdiness.

:bat:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

not really that surprsing a stat if you take into account the fact that Ben is now the longest serving band member after Eldrithch. he's been guitarist for 14 years now as opposed to Chris's 13. :von:

EDIT: & yes it is nerdy/anorak shit but if we can't indulge ourselves here then where can we? :wink:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

Mothra

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:not really that surprsing a stat if you take into account the fact that Ben is now the longest serving band member after Eldrithch. he's been guitarist for 14 years now as opposed to Chris's 13. :von:
Don't think I realised how few shows Chris had done before Adam left/Ben joined. And how much longer some of the recent tours had been than I remembered at the time.
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Mothra wrote:
Happy to share more stats, but appreciate that this is the sort of work that can only interest a bored bloke with way too much time on his hands. Thanks for the indulgence, I'll understand if you need to ban me for crossing the boundaries of nerdiness.

Stats are most welcome by me :D

I'm firmly in club nerd - I cross stitch The Sisters and edit the Wiki - if that's not nerdy i don't know what is :lol: :lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Mothra wrote:Don't think I realised how few shows Chris had done before Adam left/Ben joined. And how much longer some of the recent tours had been than I remembered at the time.
There was only the 2005 Europe tour (and its accompanying Near Meth gig) where Adam and Chris were in the band together wasn't it?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Mothra

markfiend wrote:
Mothra wrote:Don't think I realised how few shows Chris had done before Adam left/Ben joined. And how much longer some of the recent tours had been than I remembered at the time.
There was only the 2005 Europe tour (and its accompanying Near Meth gig) where Adam and Chris were in the band together wasn't it?
That's right.
Does anyone know how many gigs Dave Humphreys or that chap from the March Violets played? Or Jon Langford that matter (I don't, beyond that it was probably single figures for each of them)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ben on 314 you say... I wonder if any of the fans have beaten that? ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
ruffers
Overbomber

If you're really bored I've been wondering how many different tshirts they've officially released, and how that compares to the number of different songs...

:lol: :lol:
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
abridged
Slight Overbomber

ruffers wrote:If you're really bored I've been wondering how many different tshirts they've officially released, and how that compares to the number of different songs...

Think I asked that question a few years ago. There's a list somewhere about I think...or maybe I just imagined that!
The Chancer Corporation
ruffers
Overbomber

There could be an album's worth since then...!
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

ruffers wrote:If you're really bored I've been wondering how many different tshirts they've officially released, and how that compares to the number of different songs...

Yeah i would love to have a list / pics of all the official shirts ever released.

I'm serious! :lol:

Found some old threads with pics from user's collections but unfortunately not all the pics have stood the test of time!

https://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

https://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic ... ts&start=0
ruffers
Overbomber

Charlie wrote:
Yeah i would love to have a list / pics of all the official shirts ever released.

I'm serious! :lol:
Me too, that's what I was thinking.

Band or clothes label.. ;D :lol:
splintered thing

Excellent work! Stats are always welcome, the more curious the better really ;)
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
Being645
Above the Chemist

Charlie wrote: Found some old threads with pics from user's [shirt] collections but unfortunately not all the pics have stood the test of time!
Don't worry, I've downloaded them all ... and plenty more from other places. Only when there's time to feed them into the SistersWik, I don't know. I guess I'll have to send all the stuff I have into a cloud before I die so that it doesn't get lost... and it's not even something real special since I'm really the very last of the collectors. The others might have heirs, though ...

For some strange reason unknown to myself and not really compatible with the life I'd need, either, I do enjoy stats, Mothra .... :lol: ... so thank you for your calculations ... :D ... any further feeds are welcome ... :D ...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Nothing but the stats to live for.
Thanks!
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote: Don't worry, I've downloaded them all ... and plenty more from other places. Only when there's time to feed them into the SistersWik, I don't know. I guess I'll have to send all the stuff I have into a cloud before I die so that it doesn't get lost... and it's not even something real special since I'm really the very last of the collectors. The others might have heirs, though ...
Oooh nice. ;D

Feel free to share them with me . . you know . . for extra safe keeping! :innocent:
Mothra

Being645 wrote:
Charlie wrote:

For some strange reason unknown to myself and not really compatible with the life I'd need, either, I do enjoy stats, Mothra .... :lol: ... so thank you for your calculations ... :D ... any further feeds are welcome ... :D ...
You asked for it! The following is all based on the info I could glean from the Sisters Wiki gigography pages.

There are 760 live shows (that actually took place) listed in the Wiki. As of the end of 2019 the tallies were as follows:

Marx - 188 shows
Adams - 221 shows
Gunn - 78 shows (debatable)
Hussey - 128 shows
James - 79
Bricheno - 84
Bruhn - 103
Pearson - 140
Sheehan/Starling - 61
Varjak - 53
Denbigh - 309
Mr R Davey(!) - 126 (so far)
Catalyst - 281
Christo - 314 (not out)
Smith - 40 (and counting)

I didn't bother with backing vocalists, Dan Donovan, and some of numbers from the first incarnation of the live band (1981-85) might not be 100% accurate. See previous comments about Dave Humphrey etc. I'm not sure there's anything that could confirm beyond doubt all the shows he played, but surely only a handful. Ditto Jon Langford and MV guy (Tom Ashton?). None of them are going to be challenging Ben's position in the lead any time soon.
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

2 ladies, 5 gigs each, 1992
love is just a shot away
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

how many Marlboro reds were incinerated to expectorate Von's bronchial tubes?
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

Being645
Above the Chemist

Mothra wrote:
Being645 wrote: For some strange reason unknown to myself and not really compatible with the life I'd need, either, I do enjoy stats, Mothra .... :lol: ... so thank you for your calculations ... :D ... any further feeds are welcome ... :D ...
You asked for it! The following is all based on the info I could glean from the Sisters Wiki gigography pages.

There are 760 live shows (that actually took place) listed in the Wiki. As of the end of 2019 the tallies were as follows:

Marx - 188 shows
Adams - 221 shows
Gunn - 78 shows (debatable)
Hussey - 128 shows
James - 79
Bricheno - 84
Bruhn - 103
Pearson - 140
Sheehan/Starling - 61
Varjak - 53
Denbigh - 309
Mr R Davey(!) - 126 (so far)
Catalyst - 281
Christo - 314 (not out)
Smith - 40 (and counting)

I didn't bother with backing vocalists, Dan Donovan, and some of numbers from the first incarnation of the live band (1981-85) might not be 100% accurate. See previous comments about Dave Humphrey etc. I'm not sure there's anything that could confirm beyond doubt all the shows he played, but surely only a handful. Ditto Jon Langford and MV guy (Tom Ashton?). None of them are going to be challenging Ben's position in the lead any time soon.
Hihi, thank you... :D ... nice to see Ravey Davey overtake ever more of the former members as well ... :) ...

jost 7 wrote:2 ladies, 5 gigs each, 1992
Who exactly :?:

Anyway there was also Suzanna Josefowicz - with around 70 gigs ...
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

So what's the official count for Eldritch?
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Mothra

Erudite wrote:So what's the official count for Eldritch?
I counted 760 in the Wiki.

But there was show in Athens(?) that he didn't come out for the encore, and all the times that 'Top Nite Out/Snub Nose' or 'Pipeline' get played in the live set and the lazy sod isn't on the stage. So he should be docked accordingly.

:lol:
Alex66
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Mothra wrote:
Erudite wrote:So what's the official count for Eldritch?
I counted 760 in the Wiki.

But there was show in Athens(?) that he didn't come out for the encore, and all the times that 'Top Nite Out/Snub Nose' or 'Pipeline' get played in the live set and the lazy sod isn't on the stage. So he should be docked accordingly.

I thought that was so he could wander off and have a quick tab? given all these no smoking venues. Unlike the good old days when Nico would wander off stage during an instrumental break in a song come back with a fat one then after a few draws pass it out to the audience. Was a very interesting and colorful person was Nico and introduced me partly to the joy of Sisters.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Alex66 wrote:... Unlike the good old days when Nico would wander off stage during an instrumental break in a song come back with a fat one then after a few draws pass it out to the audience. Was a very interesting and colorful person was Nico and introduced me partly to the joy of Sisters.
It's no accident that Nico is an anagram of Icon. ;D
—Bertrand Russell
iesus
Overbomber

Mothra wrote:

But there was show in Athens(?) that he didn't come out for the encore

It was not exactly encore and it was in Thessaloniki
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wjoGHxgm7Y
A rare instrumental version of Flood II without :von: and Chris make the screams :kiss:
Also they played VT with everybody singing and :von: not on stage :notworthy: :notworthy:

Edit: This is the encore and announcement of :von: 's sickness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7YRhacaixo
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."