Worst band you have seen live and why?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
elamanamou
Slight Overbomber

Blondie about the year 2000. Played at Newmarket racecourse after racing. Shocking vocals and I thought she couldn't be arsed; Perhaps she lost a wager on the horses? :? :innocent:
Pista
Cureboi

Echo & The Bunnymen. Brighton 1987.
What a load of rubbish. & they played that awful moon song to rub salt into the wound.
Should have left after The Primitives who were utterly brilliant that evening.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Swinnow
Overbomber

Stone Roses, saw them twice in Leeds, once at the Warehouse and then again years later at the Academy after Squire had bailed out. Both occasions ruined by Ian Brown's tuneless bellowing.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Swinnow
Overbomber

Pista wrote: 05 May 2021, 21:06 Echo & The Bunnymen. Brighton 1987.....
Happy Birthday Ian Mc by the way, forgive us our trespasses :lol:
czuczu
Overbomber

Blondie in 99 and Stone Roses around Second Coming era - they literally got stools out for an acoustic section...
Tricky's Maxinquaye gig in 2010 was a shocker - so bad I couldnt leave, it defies description.
The f**king Horrors, any time they get added as support for something I like.
ROBBIE
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Ted Nugent Manchester 1988. Only time I have left a concert early. Just one long guitar solo.
Saw Kiss at Leicester DeMontfert 1984 the support band Bon Jovi were awful - Ritchie Sambora thought he was Eddie Van Halen.
Any Guns n Roses gig I got dragged along to.
"Genevieve, I think you're lovely But Genevieve, it's time” TSOM 2020
Silver_Owl
The Don

Iron Maiden were pretty bad at whatever the NEC is called nowadays. Just white noise mostly. And I wasn't sure about the Union Jack waving etc... Didn't sit right.
Pixies a couple of years ago too - totally underwhelmed by them. Black Francis looked like he didn't want to be there.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I've been dragged to see all sorts of cr@p over the years. Del Amitri, the Railway Children... I saw Carter USM once when there were more people on stage than in the audience (and that includes the dog-on-a-string that one guy brought). Other notable bands over the years included "Didgeridoo Man" who we all assumed must be a big band playing a secret gig, but no, was just a bloke playing a didgeridoo.

But I think the worst band I've seen on purpose was Pulp at the Sheffield arena supported by Edwyn Collins. The moon has a better atmosphere.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Swinnow
Overbomber

Talking of "big band(s) playing a secret gig" I was one of the many who went to see 'The Big Town Playboys' at Leeds Uni Refec thinking it was a Led Zep reunion in the mid 80's. Needless to say it wasn't and it was awful.
OLDFART
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Def Leppard were s**t at the nec in 92 , put me off arena gigs , The Wildhearts were crap as well because of a shocking sound .
Swinnow
Overbomber

I saw Def Leppard when they supported AC/DC in Liverpool in the late 70's. Utter dross, they even copied a Thin Lizzy drum solo :lol:
OLDFART

Swinnow wrote: 06 May 2021, 15:07 I saw Def Leppard when they supported AC/DC in Liverpool in the late 70's. Utter dross, they even copied a Thin Lizzy drum solo :lol:
Wouldn't mind the royalties from Hysteria though .......
Swinnow
Overbomber

OLDFART wrote: 06 May 2021, 16:07 Wouldn't mind the royalties from Hysteria though .......
Good point, well made sir
sultan2075
Overbomber

I saw the Reverend Horton Heat back in... 92, maybe? I was still in high school. They were opening for Frank Black I think. Jim Heath was also deep in his "gin and cocaine are my favorite foods" phase, and they were very, very bad. I've seen them a number of times since then, and they've always been fantastic. Glad that guy sobered up (at least a little).
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
iesus
Overbomber

I read this thread and had a deja vu ;D :D
I think there is somewhere around an exactly same thread, even with the same bands names :lol:
Remember i said my worst experience was with an Avant-garde / Experimental band that supported Die Krupps back in 2009 and thankfuly i forgot their name with the years pass by :bat: :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
black smurf
Amphetamine Filth

Was dragged to see Magnam back in about 2010 by the "good lady" at 53 Degrees in Preston. Total dross-couldn't sing, couldn't play, couldn't remember the words and couldn't care less. With hindsight playing Preston was an indication of how the night was going to be.....!!
trying to be the person my dog already thinks i am......
SmileySister

John Cale plays The Velvet Underground in Liverpool 2017.

The sound was rubbish and it was a bit of a disappointment . The company was great though and it was nice to bump into PIB.

Expectation is the root to all heartache :(
mh
Above the Chemist

I was dragged along to Kodaline once. Never felt so out of place in me life, I spent the entire show going "what am I doing here?"
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
iesus
Overbomber

mh wrote: 09 May 2021, 07:47 I was dragged along to Kodaline once. Never felt so out of place in me life, I spent the entire show going "what am I doing here?"
*makes mistake to google that name. After 5 seconds-> My ears bleed! the horror!!! the horror!!!
:lol: :lol: :bat: :bat: :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

as Mark said I have seen some shocking old bollocks over the years but most of them i didnt pat to see for various reasons. standouts are Ozric Tentacles who, along with their entirely forgettable catalogue wrote and performed the theme song for Byker Grove, the kids programme that Ant and Dec (PJ and Duncan) first found fame in. We had got in on Robber Bykers (GBOA) guest-list for something to do and got fearsomely drunk and ate about 30 tabs of acid between 5 of us. Result -me and my techno sound system firnds shouting for "BYKER GROVE" in incrreasingly louder and ruder terms only for the dumb twats to decide their best tactic was to IGNORE US. a self deprecating aknowledgement of the fact we had them nailed down with something they were clearly ashamed of. A simple "f**k off -you look like you watch kids tv" would have shut us up.... the venue Leicester Uni sold food - chicken legs a £1 or whatewer so we were getting all the used plates full of chicken bones and chucking them at point blank range in their mouths (the singer) their ears, ripped jeans, their beer -anything to kill the boredom. me and my friends can ve pretty intimidating sometimes and the security that night werent up for mixing it with a load of drugged up New Age Travellers- besides we were wit5h Robber Byker who was promoting the gig. in the end out of not wanting |Robber to beg us to stop we just l;eft.

Which brings me nicely to Captain Sensible. Of The Damned fame...exc ept he wasnt playing pink he was playing his "POP HITS" repertoire. for some unknowabalr reason he recorded "Happy Talk" which is a song from South Pacific, which is Rodgers and f**king Hammerstein musical complete with stereo-type east asian accents (ironic that the plot is avbout overcoming racial issyes in 1950's White Middle America). Sensible had a huge hit with it so duiy trotted out a few more pop singles all of which died an immediate death ,with the exception of an anri-war ballad "Glad its All Over" .
anyway...our sound system was hosting anh allnighter for a friends charity and i went round the pubs doing some last minute flyering. At the Princess Charlotte a pub/.venue where i knew the owner and had done some security work on th edoor foir him Captain Sensible was on doing his chart hits. I went in to watch him out of morbid curiousity. Oh yeah and i was mortal;ly drunk.
it was so weird. the crowd were ....not punk or alternative or students or ...anything recognisable. they were hairdressers and shop assistans and factiory drones -all young, all radio 1 listeners from 9 to 5 who liked sensibles dross pop s**t. i was soooooop friendly when i staryed to heckle. you know what its like when your are heckling non-maliciously at an artist you know can take it. He Totally ignored me. didnt know how to deal with me in that odd set-up. his audience all looked like i was s**t in their grans mouths but darent say anything....until i was right in is face calling him a c**t . i was som f**king affronted i am ashamed to say i would have ended up hitting him or smashing his guitar or something so i juist left.

worst band i paid to see were the Cult, Cerenmony Tour @ NEC. astbury was all "Hellllooo england its great to be back" in a fake LA drawl..Duffy (not the brightest candle but a capable musician) was fluffing everythging and matt sorum is suich an amateur drummer i wanted to gpo and do it for him. we got Sanctuary Love & Spiritwalker. the rest was from Electric & Sonic Temple played badly. and the security MADE you tand in froint of the chair your ticket was for. cunts.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
GC
Slight Overbomber

Silver_Owl wrote: 06 May 2021, 12:56 Iron Maiden were pretty bad at whatever the NEC is called nowadays. Just white noise mostly. And I wasn't sure about the Union Jack waving etc... Didn't sit right.
Pixies a couple of years ago too - totally underwhelmed by them. Black Francis looked like he didn't want to be there.
Funny you mention Iron Maiden... not that much of a fan but saw them in 2008 and was one of the best concerts I've been to.
Silver_Owl
The Don

SmileySister wrote: 09 May 2021, 00:55 John Cale plays The Velvet Underground in Liverpool 2017.

The sound was rubbish and it was a bit of a disappointment . The company was great though and it was nice to bump into PIB.

Expectation is the root to all heartache :(
My good lady wife and I were in attendance at that shocker. :evil:
What an awful affair it was. I came away detesting him. :lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
elamanamou
Slight Overbomber

TSOM- Dortmund 2017 - First time seeing the Sisters in about 10 yrs. Everything just lacked. Good job I had Jan for company. Thankfully I saw The Sisters again in 2019 in London and a great improvement!!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Lee mentioning the Captain reminded me of one of the times I've seen The Damned on a farewell tour; I think in the early 90s? But anyway Vanian hadn't showed up and they were obviously losing hope that he'd ever arrive. Captain came on stage and said "this one's called 'Happy Talk'" to a chorus of catcalls but didn't actually do the song; Dave had got to the venue just in the nick of time.

What was that with Vanian being permanently late for gigs? He did it when I saw the Phantom Chords too. Is he still doing it or is he more punctual these days?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
elamanamou
Slight Overbomber

[
What was that with Vanian being permanently late for gigs? He did it when I saw the Phantom Chords too. Is he still doing it or is he more punctual these days?
[/quote]

The times I've seen them more punctual. A group I love to see :bat: