If The Sisters of Mercy made another album, what songs would you want to be on it?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
TheGoodSon
Amphetamine Filth

Gaijin wrote: 07 May 2024, 19:30 Those of you that get to see the band have a different appreciation of the new songs. To me they are crap because I only hear them as karaoke recordings from a phone.

If Adam relented I'd buy that album. On vinyl.
I´ve been saying this for a long time. The whole "why would we want a new album, just enjoy the songs at the gigs!" argument just doesn´t hold up. (And just to be clear - no, nobody "owes" us any new recordings, but that doesn´t mean that I can´t have thoughts and feelings about the lack of such.)

Don´t really think that Adam factors in to it at all, though. That is ancient history.
The dominant need of the needy soul is to be needed.
g44fr
Road Kill

I just don’t understand why they don’t released any live captation if Von doesn’t want to spend the rest of his life in studio. It’s easy now via Bandcamp and they owned all the copyrights.
mh
Above the Chemist

I've been mostly happy to enjoy the new songs at gigs so far, but it's also a fair observation that the option isn't available to everybody, and it would be nice to have the songs on some form of release for listening to whenever I want, sharing playlists with friends, hearing down pubs and clubs, terrorising the neighbours with, getting into long and complicated online arguments over studio versions compared with live takes, etc.

Sure, the band don't owe us. But one can't help but feel that they've done us a bit of a disservice in the longer term. Unless Von has plans for just banging-out everything before he finally collects his bus pass, that is.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

g44fr wrote: 08 May 2024, 11:10 I just don’t understand why they don’t released any live captation if Von doesn’t want to spend the rest of his life in studio. It’s easy now via Bandcamp and they owned all the copyrights.
It might be 30 odd years since the last studio album, but the Sisters have NEVER released a live album. Best we got was the Wake video. Contrast that to bands like T'Mishun who have done loads over the years and it's easy to surmise that Von doesn't like live albums.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
H. Blackrose
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

ribbons69 wrote: 08 May 2024, 23:29 It might be 30 odd years since the last studio album, but the Sisters have NEVER released a live album. Best we got was the Wake video. Contrast that to bands like T'Mishun who have done loads over the years and it's easy to surmise that Von doesn't like live albums.
You suppose right.
the official site wrote:
I assume you record all your concerts. When can I expect a live album?

No time soon. Bands usually log their performance in some way. Some of them like to relive it all in the bus afterwards, for whatever perverse reason. We would do it just because we can. If we were interested in recording a live album we'd get a lot more than a handycam and a DAT recorder to do it with, but it seems daft not to put those toys into action. Often we're daft enough not to bother.

We're not interested in releasing a live album right now, and we haven't been for some time. People often tell us that there's a huge demand for a live album, citing the vast numbers of Sisters bootlegs. That overlooks a few important facts:

People who buy bootlegs are primarily interested in hunting the stuff down; they don't seem nearly so excited about things which are readily available. Some even turn their noses up at the genuine article and they are in any event a tiny minority.

We already put out a live album with film footage, in the form of 'Wake', the video of the Albert Hall event. And people got a lot less excited about it than they do about bootlegs.

Anyway, you'd be the first to scream if the next thing you got was not a new studio album.
On the other hand, since that was written, we almost got a live DVD, which rumour has it literally went up in smoke.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

H. Blackrose wrote: 09 May 2024, 06:13
On the other hand, since that was written, we almost got a live DVD, which rumour has it literally went up in smoke.
we really really didnt even get near an almost... we simply got empty promises ...dust in deserts of sound... and f**k all else.
No Made Glorious Summer.....no "Genevieve" .... no Live dvd & definitely No New album. in fact we got the same as we get every xmas, every yom kippur, every Beltane, every Diwali & every Stick It Up Your Arse Thursdy. f**k All. Nada. NOWT. Zilch. to be fair if we DID get something it would make me incredibly suspicious that the old bugger was after something. Avocados dont just grow on trees you know... Or something. ive done no research.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Valentine
Road Kill

I'm sensing YCBTO erasure in this thread