Record Store Day April 2024.

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Weird Sisters Record Store Day Release Body and Soul/Walk Away. Presumably the two 12 inches together? Also Burning the Fields album for the Nephilim. Also weird.
The Chancer Corporation
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

...do I need a third copy of Body and soul? no
...will I buy it nevertheless? yes
Last edited by Husek on 15 Feb 2024, 19:29, edited 2 times in total.
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

April 1st I hope. Ffs.
Goths have feelings too
GC
Slight Overbomber

Description:

"Sisters of Mercy, The – ‘ Body and Soul / Walk Away ‘ : 140g Clear & Black Vinyl EP The 40th anniversary of The Sisters Of Mercy’s first two EPs from 1984, packaged together as one LP."

FOTN

"Fields of the Nephilim – ‘ Burning the Fields LP ‘ : 2xLP"

2LP for Burning the Fields EP.....? Any extras
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Blimey. Hard pass.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
mh
Above the Chemist

I'll probably get it.

I definitely don't need it, I probably don't even want it, it's just content I already have packaged differently, but if I didn't get it I know I'll regret. This is why I'm poor and record label execs are wealthy.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

The Sisters Of Mercy-Body And Soul / Walk Away
Label: WEA - International
Format: 1 Clear and Black VL LP

"1 x Galaxy effect Vinyl GZ, Colour 1 #5 Opaque + Black 1 12"" 3mm spined sleeve 300gsm, 4/0 CMYK + PMS 877 silver, gloss dispersion 1 x black polylined bag 70gsm 1 x label pair, CMYK RSD Marketing Sticker assembly shrink"
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Pista
Cureboi

Why the weight is so important is a myth. It's the mastering & pressing that matters.
This is nothing more than another WEA rip off store day cash grab.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
mh
Above the Chemist

CellThree wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 21:32 The Sisters Of Mercy-Body And Soul / Walk Away

"1 x Galaxy effect Vinyl GZ, Colour 1 #5 Opaque + Black 1 12"" 3mm spined sleeve 300gsm, 4/0 CMYK + PMS 877 silver, gloss dispersion 1 x black polylined bag 70gsm 1 x label pair, CMYK RSD Marketing Sticker assembly shrink"
Destroy personnel.
Destroy personnel.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Phantasmagoria
Road Kill

I'll get the Sisters release... we don't get to pick up a new Sisters record every day, so it's a novelty if nothing else!

That's an odd combo though - I could understand No Time To Cry and Walk Away being packaged together, but Body & Soul is kind of a stand alone thing - separate from the album singles.

I'm intrigued by the Nephilim record - what are the extra tracks that take Burning The Fields from its original form to a double album?!
GC
Slight Overbomber

Phantasmagoria wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 01:58 I'll get the Sisters release... we don't get to pick up a new Sisters record every day, so it's a novelty if nothing else!

That's an odd combo though - I could understand No Time To Cry and Walk Away being packaged together, but Body & Soul is kind of a stand alone thing - separate from the album singles.

I'm intrigued by the Nephilim record - what are the extra tracks that take Burning The Fields from its original form to a double album?!
From what i read on Fb it is going be burning the fields Ep with Returning to Gehenna ep.... 2 lp are extra demos which were on Genesis and Revelations.
ruffers
Overbomber

mh wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 01:03
CellThree wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 21:32 The Sisters Of Mercy-Body And Soul / Walk Away

Destroy personnel.
Destroy personnel.
:D
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

mh wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 01:03

Destroy personnel.
Destroy personnel.
:lol: :lol: :notworthy:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
rivum
Road Kill

Pista wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 21:36 Why the weight is so important is a myth. It's the mastering & pressing that matters.
this is true. theoretically a thicker/heavier vinyl would be less likely to warp over time and would be more likely to stay put on the turntable so as to reduce the needle jumping around but, practically speaking, i don't think it makes a whole heap of difference.
i have old school records which are probably 120 or 130 grams that sound great. and i have 180 gram weight records that are less than ideal.
as steve says, a good pressing is the most important thing.
Nyth Grandbeard
Road Kill

As an American it's cool to get these releases state side without having to pay import fees to get a copy from Europe. It'll look really nice next to the reptile house from last year. I hope we keep getting these releases. I'd buy a damage done repress
:von: Check out my Artwork: https://x.com/NicksArtCorner :von:
mh
Above the Chemist

rivum wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 15:16
Pista wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 21:36 Why the weight is so important is a myth. It's the mastering & pressing that matters.
this is true. theoretically a thicker/heavier vinyl would be less likely to warp over time and would be more likely to stay put on the turntable so as to reduce the needle jumping around but, practically speaking, i don't think it makes a whole heap of difference.
i have old school records which are probably 120 or 130 grams that sound great. and i have 180 gram weight records that are less than ideal.
Absolutely. I've mass-produced stuff from the 80s that will completely blow away any modern "audiophile" pressing, and the key differences are that back then vinyl production was a well-understood and solved problem, and they were able to avail of economies of scale. So despite the cheap, thin vinyl and penny-pinching going on in the manufacturing, the source material and prepping of it for pressing to vinyl was generally top-notch. These days you'll likely get a 16-bit 44k digital source that's carelessly prepped, and it doesn't matter how good or heavy the vinyl is, it'll still sound rubbish.
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

Husek wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 19:29 ...do I need a third copy of Body and soul? no
...will I buy it nevertheless? yes
:lol:
Trying is the first step towards failure
(Homer Simpson)
mh
Above the Chemist

I'm surely not the only person who thought "only three?"
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

So once again record companies are repressing stuff that you couldn't give away on eBay for years, at a premium price?
Record collecting is a fickle mistress.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

i'd prefer it was a faithful re-issue of both individually. maybe with a non floppy 7" of Long Train flexi thrown in.
the WEA era sleeves were always deleted after the first pressings as well. i rememebr the B&S 12" going for £15 in pic sleeve when you could still buy a brand new one in a plain cover for £3 in a record shop. so i bet there are loads of folks have got those generic 12" single sleeves. The Body And Soul sleeve is the last but one "legacy" Sisters cover (cuz Walk Away is anomalous.)
Last edited by eastmidswhizzkid on 19 Feb 2024, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Fallon
Road Kill

mh wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 18:54
rivum wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 15:16
Absolutely. I've mass-produced stuff from the 80s that will completely blow away any modern "audiophile" pressing, and the key differences are that back then vinyl production was a well-understood and solved problem, and they were able to avail of economies of scale. So despite the cheap, thin vinyl and penny-pinching going on in the manufacturing, the source material and prepping of it for pressing to vinyl was generally top-notch. These days you'll likely get a 16-bit 44k digital source that's carelessly prepped, and it doesn't matter how good or heavy the vinyl is, it'll still sound rubbish.
This is at its heart why I'm so curious about the modern "audiophile" crowd who consume this stuff. I've no questions for anyone who buys it up out of obsessive, completist duty, but it's them folk who talk about the weight of the vinyl as though it matters, and mindlessly say "vinyl sounds better" that leave me scratching my head. Vinyl sounds better when it's made by people who know how to make it sound better. The whole point of using these digital masters is that it's cheap and efficient and doesn't require a person who knows how to make it sound better, while still enabling someone to churn out product by slapping a "180grams!" sticker on it to trick people into thinking it's better.

I shouldn't judge, but the brazen performance of 'record collector cool' without any of the nous always baffles me. How does one call oneself an audiophile while also purchasing records whose sound is just, in terms of the physics of it, nothing special?
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

I'm afraid I am a little disdainful of the "it sounds better on vinyl " crowd that are playing their new lp's through really cheap record players. Vinyl sounds really good through my high end system, but then so does a cd. The difference is the price, retail prices for lp's are getting a little silly imo.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Do you know what is worse than greedy records companies cynically turning out cash ins on a beloved legacy band's back cataglogue?

Silence.

That's what. I think ANY activity around this band is to be celebrated.
mh
Above the Chemist

ribbons69 wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 03:57 I'm afraid I am a little disdainful of the "it sounds better on vinyl " crowd that are playing their new lp's through really cheap record players. Vinyl sounds really good through my high end system, but then so does a cd. The difference is the price, retail prices for lp's are getting a little silly imo.
My setup sounds better with vinyl, but that's because I intentionally built it to sound better with vinyl. It's still the case that good digital will sound better than bad vinyl, of course, but with everything else being equal vinyl is clearer, more open, more layered and with better rhythm and dynamics. I've settled into preferring vinyl for when I want to sit back and listen to an LP, but digital for background music when I'm doing something else. Works for me.
gothboy
Road Kill

I am kind of hoping for another Radio Sessions situation where after we pay over the odds for vinyl we will never listen to they then do a cheap CD release we can play in the car because unless i am mistaken it is only the body and soul stuff that hasn't had a CD release through the reissue LPs (notwithstanding a track on overbombing) and I am certainly of the view that vinyl on a high end stereo with a near new needle costing hundreds of pounds might sound better than CD anything less than that probably doesn't