Amphetamine logic

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
claws
Amphetamine Filth

I was thinking about the words "nothing but the knife to live for". What does this mean? Is he suicidal? (awesome song by the way)
We are coming down but we will never, never land
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i always assumed it was a "hot knife", for the drugs ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
claws
Amphetamine Filth

can you explain a little more? I'm not familiar with the drug world
We are coming down but we will never, never land
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

isn't it something along the lines of putting your Speed on the knife, running a flame underneath it then sucking up the fumes?

Speed's never been my cup of tea so I'm not 100% on that one.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
khepri II
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

CellThree wrote:isn't it something along the lines of putting your Speed on the knife, running a flame underneath it then sucking up the fumes?

Speed's never been my cup of tea so I'm not 100% on that one.

yep that sums it up. from what i've been told :innocent: :innocent: :wink:
Just remember this. This rabble you keep talking about does most of the working, paying and dying in this community.
khepri II

Quiff Boy wrote:i always assumed it was a "hot knife", for the drugs ;)
my guess is actually cutting it with a blade :roll: :?
Just remember this. This rabble you keep talking about does most of the working, paying and dying in this community.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

There's also the cutting up people option / echo - See Ribbons. A Sweeney Todd angle would fit in with the other Eliot references in the poem.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

MrChris wrote:There's also the cutting up people option / echo - See Ribbons.
true... :von:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

eliot's "sweeney" poems arent actually about sweeney todd are they? its a common misconception isnt it?

http://www.bc.edu/publications/bcm/wint ... _poet.html
I asked Eliot about the prototype of the rough-and-ready Sweeney image in his poems -- for example, in "Sweeney Erect" and "Sweeney Agonistes." He had commented once, "It happens that I know many Sweeneys, some of them among friends of mine. I happen to like the name. It has a pleasant sound."

Among his friends named Sweeney was John Lincoln Sweeney, a humanities preceptor at Harvard. At the River Club, I said, "Your classmate, Conrad Aiken, traces Sweeney to your boxing instructor in the South End of Boston."

"There were others," Eliot said -- among them the bartender at the Opera Exchange, also in Boston, where he had gathered with friends in his Harvard student days, circling Champagne corks on the table in a fortune-telling game. Eliot lifted his forefinger and waved it in a circle.
and

http://artsedge.kennedy-center.org/teac ... objectives
8. consider the development of the Sweeney figure that threads through folklore and literature as a metaphorical statement for the dehumanization of man caused by the injustices, loss of spiritual connections, and alienation of the individual from others in the modern world.

11. consider evidences of Expressionism in the two musicals, particularly Sweeney Todd.
and
To begin the study of Sweeney Todd, initiate a class discussion of the name "Sweeney." T.S.Eliot's poem, "Sweeney Among the Nightingales" could serve as a centerpiece of the discussion. Point out that Eliot wrote another Sweeney poem, "Sweeney Erect," and a drama, "Sweeney Agonistes." Encourage students to see that, through several historical and archetypal contrasts, Eliot characterizes Sweeney as a gross representative of modern human beings—one who is impotent in spirit, incapable of using violence to vent heroic passions. Note particularly the physical profile Eliot builds of Sweeney: "Apeneck," knees spread, arms hanging down, zebra stripes along his jaw, etc. All of these are "ape-like" characteristics.

In 10th, 11th, and 12th grade classes, consider initiating a discussion of the Freudian concept of the"id." Point out that Eliot's work has inculcated in Western consciousness the name "Sweeney" as being synonymous with one driven by his "id," projecting lustful, crude, primitive, and animal-like behavior.
so arent they saying that the todd story/musical is complete fiction which uses the name sweeney in a deliberate attempt to tie in with the sweeney portrayed in eliot's writing?

Eliot's work has inculcated in Western consciousness the name "Sweeney" as being synonymous with one driven by his "id," projecting lustful, crude, primitive, and animal-like behavior.

"Eliot's work has inculcated in Western consciousness the name "Sweeney" as being synonymous with one driven by his "id," projecting lustful, crude, primitive, and animal-like behavior."

:?
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Huh! Now that's very interesting, Quiffy! I have learned something very interesting today. I feel I should ring my parents or something. Except I only speak to one of them, and she wouldn't be interested. The question remains whether there couldn't still be a cutting people up reference, but it now looks much more tenuous! It boils down to the following:
Nothing but the knife to live for
ONE LIFE, all I need
The second line still sounds a bit Ripperesque to me.
Chris

khepri II

Silver_Owl
The Don

I think you're all reading far too much into it.
I'm not a big speed freak but I would agree with the earlier idea that it's all to do with cutting up the crystals. Good speed needs chopping so it seems pretty obvious to me that he wasn't thinking about poems when he wrote it. We all know how ill he made himself with the stuff.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
zaltys7

Steve303 wrote:I think you're all reading far too much into it.
I'm not a big speed freak but I would agree with the earlier idea that it's all to do with cutting up the crystals. Good speed needs chopping so it seems pretty obvious to me that he wasn't thinking about poems when he wrote it. We all know how ill he made himself with the stuff.
I agree with Steve, in my teenage years I consumed massive amounts of the stuff and the whole ritual of cutting, chopping, bagging and snorting was a very important one.

At that time in my life (long, long ago) I knew people who didnt even like the Sisters very much who would watch the Wake video while they where off their heads on Phet just because of the lovely red and blue colours and the trippy effects. It was the general consenses that these colours enhanced the amphetamine experience, and the knowledge that Mr Eldritch was himself a speed freek just made it that much better.

Amphetamine logic may have many different and hidden meanings but if he wrote it while he was on the stuff he probably cant even remember what they are.

Thats the nature of the drug, you sort the whole fu*king planet out, but once you've been to sleep two days later and finally eaten something it kinda all seems like a waste of time (and liver). :|

Paul
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Here Here.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

wrap means something so different these days *sigh*
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Sunsonic
Amphetamine Filth

You could use some skunk instead of speed on yer hot knife, but somehow I don't think the song would be sung at the same pace if the Baron was on about weed (Sisters Of Mercy In A Dub Reagge Stylee, hmmm) :lol:
One life all I need
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Of course, the Sisters have released a reggae song...it's called Marian (version)...
Chris

Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

MrChris wrote:Of course, the Sisters have released a reggae song...it's called Marian (version)...
Yah! :D
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Right, I'm digging up old threads again, but I was just reading The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock and found this couplet: (lines 35 & 36)
In the room the women come and go
Talking of Michelangelo.
Which is cleverly punned upon in this
(Women)
And the women come and go
(Talk)
Talking about me like they know
It has the same rhythm, the same 8-syllable last line, it even sounds similar.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

markfiend wrote:Right, I'm digging up old threads again, but I was just reading The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock and found this couplet: (lines 35 & 36)
In the room the women come and go
Talking of Michelangelo.
Which is cleverly punned upon in this
(Women)
And the women come and go
(Talk)
Talking about me like they know
It has the same rhythm, the same 8-syllable last line, it even sounds similar.

and you know what, Eliot plagerised it from somewhere else too :lol: :lol:

and the we'll turn round ;D
Goths have feelings too
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

in "a clockwork orange" one of the "miloko-plus" drinks available to alex and his droogs has "extra-knives"to"sharpen"one up.in my eperience this is the primary effect of taking me ol' favourite. smoking speed is mostly an inefficient method-i've been doing it for 20 years and snorting/eating it gives you the best "result to life expectancy"ratio(playing "pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey" is almost always a slippery slope IMHO;longterm needle freaks will disagree but sharing dirty works to jack-up water is by no means the lowest practise i've witnessed).
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

p.s.when i first heard the song in'85 ithought the lyric was "nothing but the night to live for/one line,all i need"which seemed to work almost as well...just when you thought you knew everything...
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:in "a clockwork orange" one of the "miloko-plus" drinks available to alex and his droogs has "extra-knives"to"sharpen"one up.in my eperience this is the primary effect of taking me ol' favourite. smoking speed is mostly an inefficient method-i've been doing it for 20 years and snorting/eating it gives you the best "result to life expectancy"ratio(playing "pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey" is almost always a slippery slope IMHO;longterm needle freaks will disagree but sharing dirty works to jack-up water is by no means the lowest practise i've witnessed).
Surely eating it is the safest way because I heard if you snort it too much you start sneezing out chunks of your nose, like that guy from Status Quo.

I also heard getting it in pill form is extremely hard because Speed is sold cut to very low purity, 5%-10%. Ecstasy is more expensive than Speed so dealers can charge more for an ecstasy pill than they could for Speed, so they sell Speed as fake ecstascy, is this true?
hallucienate
Overbomber

speed, smack, strychnine. all used.

Safest way is to get MDMA crystals. :innocent:
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

nick the stripper wrote:I also heard getting it in pill form is extremely hard because Speed is sold cut to very low purity, 5%-10%. Ecstasy is more expensive than Speed so dealers can charge more for an ecstasy pill than they could for Speed, so they sell Speed as fake ecstascy, is this true?
No. A gram of speed costs more than an E.

E started off more expensive, but prices plummetted in the early part of this decade as availability rocketed (and the purity of E consequently dived).

E's are (or were, a couple of years back, when I last partook) doing a good impression of the old Italian Lire.