Ribbons

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote:
markfiend wrote:I always thought the red ribbon was an obscure reference to this - or at least to the yellow ribbon practice in general.
Yes. That seems most likely to me as well. Also considering they made Crash And Burn decades later ... :wink: ;D ...
Yeah, that seems plausible. Hadn't heard of that before :)
Also, this is probably just me being slow, but what's the relation to crash and burn?
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
Being645
Above the Chemist

LyanvisAberrant wrote:
Being645 wrote:
markfiend wrote:I always thought the red ribbon was an obscure reference to this - or at least to the yellow ribbon practice in general.
Yes. That seems most likely to me as well. Also considering they made Crash And Burn decades later ... :wink: ;D ...
Also, this is probably just me being slow, but what's the relation to crash and burn?
Just a feeling ... 8) ...
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote:
LyanvisAberrant wrote:
Being645 wrote: Yes. That seems most likely to me as well. Also considering they made Crash And Burn decades later ... :wink: ;D ...
Damn you lot and your cryptic-ness.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
Being645
Above the Chemist

LyanvisAberrant wrote:
Being645 wrote:
LyanvisAberrant wrote: Yeah, that seems plausible. Hadn't heard of that before :)
Damn you lot and your cryptic-ness.
... :lol: ... Flowers on the razor wire ... :wink:
AdrenaChris
Amphetamine Filth

I think this song (as with a lot of songs, really) is about sex, particularly the sleazy casual variety. here's why...

"Flowers on the razor wire..." - love is a minefield. Enter at your own risk.

"Her lovers queued up in the hallway/I heard them scratching at the door" - He may be one of many, or he beat the rest of them to the prize. It's never made entirely clear.

"I tried to tell her/about Marx and Engels, God and angels/I don't really know what for/But she looked good in ribbons" - he (probably Von knowing him) intellectually dwarfs the other party, but it doesn't matter for now because she looks good in ribbons.

"Love is a many splintered thing/Don't be afraid now/Just walk on in" - again, love is a minefield...but these things happen, so let them happen. It's human nature.

"INCOMING" - here we go again....
AmericanDream
Road Kill

"Sex and violence and intelligence all rolled into one - a perverse and wonderfully lethal cocktail." -Quote from Eldo about Ribbons in an old interview I read the other day ("Excess All Areas").

He says some other stuff about the Ribbons lyrics in that interview if you wanna check it out.

Also I'm pretty sure "flowers on the razor wire" isn't necessarily a part of the song's story or carrying any particular message. I think he's just using that image to make the listener mentally compare sex and violence.

Also also hey guys I'm new here.
Being645
Above the Chemist

AmericanDream wrote: Also also hey guys I'm new here.
Hihi ... the bottom forum to introduce yourself ... :lol: ... but hey, somebody has seen you, so

WELCOME, AmericanDream ... :D ...

AdrenaChris wrote: "INCOMING" - here we go again....
Cool and simple ... :notworthy: :notworthy: ...
mnyounger
Road Kill

My father thought Ribbons was somehow about the Vietnam War (he was a vet and was also a fan of that album). I'll explain the references:

"Just walk on in" -- this could refer to mortar fire "walking in." Here's a thread on Yahoo! Answers on what this means: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 359AA3hhbo

"Incoming!!!" -- a reference to incoming artillery fire.

"I'm lying on my back now, the stars look all too near" -- This could be a reference to gazing at the night sky from somewhere in the middle of the Vietnamese jungle.

All the references to razor wire. Obviously a common thing in warzones.

"Her lovers queued up in the hallway" -- could be a reference to Vietnamese prostitutes.

"Marx and Engels." -- a reference to communist theory (the Vietnam War was fought against communism).

"I see no purple light, Crashing out of you" -- could be a reference to someone being hit (or not being hit) by an artillery shell.

Anyway, not conclusive by any means, but I was Googling the lyrics to Ribbons and happened upon this thread and figured I'd share a few thoughts.
Being645
Above the Chemist

mnyounger wrote:My father thought Ribbons was somehow about the Vietnam War (he was a vet and was also a fan of that album). I'll explain the references:

"Just walk on in" -- this could refer to mortar fire "walking in." Here's a thread on Yahoo! Answers on what this means: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 359AA3hhbo

"Incoming!!!" -- a reference to incoming artillery fire.

"I'm lying on my back now, the stars look all too near" -- This could be a reference to gazing at the night sky from somewhere in the middle of the Vietnamese jungle.

All the references to razor wire. Obviously a common thing in warzones.

"Her lovers queued up in the hallway" -- could be a reference to Vietnamese prostitutes.

"Marx and Engels." -- a reference to communist theory (the Vietnam War was fought against communism).

"I see no purple light, Crashing out of you" -- could be a reference to someone being hit (or not being hit) by an artillery shell.

Anyway, not conclusive by any means, but I was Googling the lyrics to Ribbons and happened upon this thread and figured I'd share a few thoughts.
I really like these thoughts... :D ...
and btw, although it's quite late to say so, hello and welcome mnyounger ... :D ...
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

EricSweden wrote:anyone know what ribbons is about? it's one of my fav lyrics.
Red ribbon was tied around the cordite sticks used in shells during WW1
Goths have feelings too
chico
Road Kill

Hello, first of all I am not a native speaker.
Here my suggestions - in short: I guess it's about a serial(?) murder.

How many are involved?
- the first-person narrator
- a woman
- a knife the narrator calls "flowers on the razor-wire" witch he talks to
- a diffuse "we" (other murders?)

Perhaps the text is inspired by the Ripper murder of the prositute Mary Jane Kelly
Pista
Cureboi

Hello @chico & welcome to :hl: :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity