Heartland Forum Index
       FAQ      Rules      Search      Paypal Donation      Photo Gallery      Sisters Wiki   
   Register · Profile · Log in to check your private messages · View New Posts · Usergroups · Memberlist · Statistics  
   Follow us on   Twitter    Facebook · Log in  
Ribbons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Being645
Above the Chemist

PostPost #51  Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I definitely like that read, especially taking it as

I tried to tell her
'bout Marx' and Engels' guardian angels ...

realistic rather than romantic, I'd say ...
Being645
Above the Chemist

PostPost #52  Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lovely, isn't it ... Confused ...

http://www.mod.gov.il/pages/heritage/Campaign_Ribbons.asp
Soopra
Road Kill

PostPost #53  Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I always thought that this song was sung from the perspective of a serial killer (Peter Sutcliffe??)

Flowers on the razor wire / Ribbons - torn flesh

I tried to tell her about Marx and Engels, God and Angels - Peter Sutcliffe was trying to "save" Prostitutes

Her lovers queued up in the hallway - reference to her being a prostitute

Incoming - the knife (murder weapon?) going into her flesh

Her eyes were cobalt red - blood shot

Her lips were cobalt blue - lips are blue when you're dead

We are few and far between - there's not many serial killers

Overall story of the song - he's luring another victim in to die... Incoming is her death...
Pista
Cureboi

PostPost #54  Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Curious take Smile

Welcome to the forum Very Happy
TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

PostPost #55  Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hello and welcome!

Your first post is that... should we be worried? Laughing
Being645
Above the Chemist

PostPost #56  Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hard stuff, Soopra ... Surprised ... though not too far fetched ... Wink ...

Welcome here, anyway! ... Very Happy ...
rien
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #57  Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Let's all hope for consensual violence...

It occurred to me recently that it might not (just) be about a woman, but rather about a bomb. Maybe "the" bomb? The 1959 wiki links cobalt to a proposed cobalt bomb.
But that might just be because I don't want my more or less favourite Sisters song to be yet another treatise on murdering women.

(I just hope the hallway in this song is a different kind than the one in Flood II. Because... ew?)

Edit: are there any military traditions of putting ribbons on, say, warships or the like? What requires cobalt blue and makes a loud noise?

Edit 2: Ooooh, look what I found, another possible drugs/no drugs link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Ribbon_Week

Edit 3: because I couldn't just stop googling things to try to unravel the mystery: cobalt chloride is blue when dry and purplish-red when wet, and therefore used as a humidity indicator. It's harmful to living organisms.

Then, if the song is in any way connected to the War On Drugs: cobalt is used to test for cocaine, also because of its colour changing properties.

Then there are some drugs which turn users' mouths blue (I only got so far googling it because TSoM lyrics have already made me look up so many things that have probably put me on several watchlists), and I presume drug abuse will give people bloodshot eyes.
Soopra
Road Kill

PostPost #58  Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Being645 wrote:
Hard stuff, Soopra ... Surprised ... though not too far fetched ... Wink ...

Welcome here, anyway! ... Very Happy ...

thank you Smile
Soopra
Road Kill

PostPost #59  Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pista wrote:
Curious take Smile

Welcome to the forum Very Happy

thank you Smile
Soopra
Road Kill

PostPost #60  Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

markfiend wrote:
Hello and welcome!

probably Smile
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

PostPost #61  Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Soopra wrote:
markfiend wrote:
Hello and welcome!

probably Smile
Laughing Me likey
centurionofprix
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #62  Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If the murder angle wasn't clear enough;
Quote:
http://www.vamp.org/Gothic/Text/sisters-interview.html
"I tried to tell her about Marx and Engels, God and angels/I don't really know what for/But she looked good in ribbons." - Sisters Of Mercy, "Ribbons" Read that *sliced* to ribbons. Cruel and absurd. Must be Andrew Eldritch.

"I love that line. Great line, isn't it?" The tiny man smiles, dead-tired skin streched parchmentlike around his mouth, eyes that look a million years old nervously darting about the room. Another drag off an endless procession of cigarettes, and he'll probably collapse into his own emaciated flesh.

"It's so rational, but undeniably psychotic," he furthers. "I can see a better-read Norman Bates thinking to himself before he flings open the shower curtain: *I've tried, I've really tried, but she'll just never get the point.* And then everything turns red. Delicious, utterly delicious. Who else could sing that and make it work?"

Dressed in black and steeped in an even darker humor, Andrew Eldritch, the brains, guts and soul behind eminent gothsters Sisters Of Mercy, really might pepper his bedroom talk with the Marxist approach to Bach or a heady discussion of Vienesse fin de diecle literature. A true eccentric.

"I don't think you can separate violence and intelligence from sensuality," he declares. "They're all wrapped up in the same whole. That, to me, is a very 20th-century notion, a very post-modernist attitude. For me, at least, sex has got to have an element of violence in there to be truly great."

I don't think that excludes the cobalt stuff from alluding to the bomb, or many splintered thing from alluding to Chinese Communists, tho.
Being645
Above the Chemist

PostPost #63  Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

centurionofprix wrote:
If the murder angle wasn't clear enough;
Quote:
http://www.vamp.org/Gothic/Text/sisters-interview.html
"I tried to tell her about Marx and Engels, God and angels/I don't really know what for/But she looked good in ribbons." - Sisters Of Mercy, "Ribbons" Read that *sliced* to ribbons. Cruel and absurd. Must be Andrew Eldritch.

"I love that line. Great line, isn't it?" The tiny man smiles, dead-tired skin streched parchmentlike around his mouth, eyes that look a million years old nervously darting about the room. Another drag off an endless procession of cigarettes, and he'll probably collapse into his own emaciated flesh.

"It's so rational, but undeniably psychotic," he furthers. "I can see a better-read Norman Bates thinking to himself before he flings open the shower curtain: *I've tried, I've really tried, but she'll just never get the point.* And then everything turns red. Delicious, utterly delicious. Who else could sing that and make it work?"

Dressed in black and steeped in an even darker humor, Andrew Eldritch, the brains, guts and soul behind eminent gothsters Sisters Of Mercy, really might pepper his bedroom talk with the Marxist approach to Bach or a heady discussion of Vienesse fin de diecle literature. A true eccentric.

"I don't think you can separate violence and intelligence from sensuality," he declares. "They're all wrapped up in the same whole. That, to me, is a very 20th-century notion, a very post-modernist attitude. For me, at least, sex has got to have an element of violence in there to be truly great."

I don't think that excludes the cobalt stuff from alluding to the bomb, or many splintered thing from alluding to Chinese Communists, tho.

Oh hell, thanks for the reminder ... above all it reminds me of the fact that to-date humanity has obviously no idea what to do with themselves apart from squeezing each others blood though money and love. And who would ever step beyond? No matter, they won't get far.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

PostPost #64  Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Von wrote:

Just an S&M thing or something more disturbing?
rien

PostPost #65  Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

stufarq wrote:
Von wrote:

We shall never know... (unless, of course, someone who's had sex with him were to disclose anything, which would probably be considered pretty rude.)

The actual reason for my post, though: I'm SUCH a numpty. Red ribbon = AIDS. Another possible point of reference...
(I am seriously amazed that I didn't make that connection any sooner. After all, I reside in the city that holds the Life Ball every year /faceplam)
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

PostPost #66  Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

rien wrote:
stufarq wrote:
Von wrote:

We shall never know... (unless, of course, someone who's had sex with him were to disclose anything, which would probably be considered pretty rude.)

The actual reason for my post, though: I'm SUCH a numpty. Red ribbon = AIDS. Another possible point of reference...
(I am seriously amazed that I didn't make that connection any sooner. After all, I reside in the city that holds the Life Ball every year /faceplam)

VT was released in 1990. AIDS red ribbon wasn't created till 1991.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_ribbon#AIDS_awareness_origin
rien

PostPost #67  Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

stufarq wrote:
rien wrote:

Ah. It crossed my mind that it may not work with the dates after I posted it, but I didn't follow that up. Thanks for the clarification!
Being645
Above the Chemist

PostPost #68  Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

rien wrote:
stufarq wrote:
rien wrote:

Ah. It crossed my mind that it may not work with the dates after I posted it, but I didn't follow that up. Thanks for the clarification!

Interesting. That's new to me too! I thought it was older.

Good, you checked it, stufarq ... We are not worthy! We are not worthy! ...
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

PostPost #69  Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wouldn't have known for sure without checking, but my memory was that AIDS awareness was only just beginning around then, so it sounded a bit early.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

PostPost #70  Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

red ribbons have something to do with gypsies and revenge
Being645
Above the Chemist

PostPost #71  Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarkia_concinna ... Mr. Green ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

PostPost #72  Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I always thought the red ribbon was an obscure reference to this - or at least to the yellow ribbon practice in general.
Being645
Above the Chemist

PostPost #73  Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

markfiend wrote:
I always thought the red ribbon was an obscure reference to this - or at least to the yellow ribbon practice in general.

Yes. That seems most likely to me as well. Also considering they made Crash And Burn decades later ... Wink Mr. Green ...
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

PostPost #74  Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

markfiend wrote:

Yeah, me too.
LyanvisAberrant

PostPost #75  Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Being645 wrote:
markfiend wrote:

Yes. That seems most likely to me as well. Also considering they made Crash And Burn decades later ... Wink Mr. Green ...

Yeah, that seems plausible. Hadn't heard of that before Smile
Also, this is probably just me being slow, but what's the relation to crash and burn?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Heartland Forum Index -> Lyrics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: