Heartland Forum Index
       FAQ      Rules      Search      Paypal Donation      Photo Gallery      Sisters Wiki   
   Register · Profile · Log in to check your private messages · View New Posts · Usergroups · Memberlist · Statistics  
   Follow us on   Twitter    Facebook · Log in  
Craig Adams
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

PostPost #51  Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

@ Fixater: welcome Very Happy

Fixater wrote:
Mayhem Deranged

that's ray mayhew from sigue sigue sputnik's latest band Surprised
the cake is a lie
Fixater
Road Kill

PostPost #52  Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's right, Ray was a drummer from Sigue Sigue Sputnik in the 80s and this is the band project that he has had kicking around for some years.

In that vein, there was a story going around that Tony James had tried to poach Mr Eldritch from the Sisters to join Sigue Sigue Sputnik as far back as 82/83 during a session at Maida Vale Studios. There may be "some" truth in this one because Tony James lived in Sid Vicious's old house around the corner from the Maida Vale studios on Pindock Mews at that time. We know for sure that Tony James had his eye on many different singers to front Sputnik before settling on Martin Degville. Quite ironic that Mr James would end up becoming a Sisters bassist some years later.

Slightly gone off topic there, but I think the links between bands can be quite interesting.
Fixater
Road Kill

PostPost #53  Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PS - thanks for resurrecting my 6 year old account today Smile Great to be here!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

PostPost #54  Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I seem to recall an interview with TJ where he said outright that he'd asked Eldritch to join SSS. Or maybe it was an interview with Eldritch. Laughing
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

PostPost #55  Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's mentioned here:
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/030529-jamestony
Quote:
Originally asked to be the lead singer of SSS, Andrew Eldritch returned the favor to Tony James by inviting him to play bass with the Sisters of Mercy on their Vision Thing album/tour.

Fixater
Road Kill

PostPost #56  Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the link - I hadn't seen that one!
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

PostPost #57  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think it was mentioned around the time of the VT release. Might have been the Empire interview (primarily with Von but the rest of the band were around too and my memory is that TJ was the one who said it) but don't quote me on that. Definitely a story that's been around for a long time and I'm pretty sure it came from the band rather than just being a rumour.

After I'd read that interview my friend read it too and concluded from it that Von was "what a bastard".
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

PostPost #58  Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, the "AE recruitment" connection was mentioned in TJ's blog on on the old sputnikworld website he ran... Cool

....before it was taken it down and replaced it with a "coming soon" page Rolling Eyes
the cake is a lie
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #59  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Currently enjoying the sun, according to his FB page!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Heartland Forum Index -> Where are they now? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: