Heartland Forum Index
       FAQ      Rules      Search      Paypal Donation      Photo Gallery      Sisters Wiki   
   Register · Profile · Log in to check your private messages · View New Posts · Usergroups · Memberlist · Statistics  
   Follow us on   Twitter    Facebook · Log in  
What is "Valentine" about?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calidore
Road Kill

PostPost #1  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: What is "Valentine" about? Reply with quote Back to top

Hello everyone. Nice to see a sisterhood in existence.

Is "Valentine" about the bombing of Dresden which happened on Valentine's day 1945? or is it about the pop culture?

The razor bites and the shriek subsides
He arches clutching at his sides
Across the floor across the tiles
The man is dead and the razor smiles
A shiny love song a quick incision
Cut him down on television

A people come to this
Beyond the age of reason
A people fed on famine
A people on their knees and
People eat each other
A people stand in line
Waiting for another war and
Waiting for my valentine

For a million empty faces
For a million hollow smiles
Cancer for my education
Watch the body hit the files
Waiting for another war and
Waiting for my valentine

cheers,
Calidore
Dan
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #2  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: What is "Valentine" about? Reply with quote Back to top

My interpretation of some of it is that in the late 70's on the news they showed film of a criminal being beheaded in (I think) Vietnam. This would have been fresh in Eldritch's mind when he wrote the lyrics and seems to fit in with some of the lyrics at least.
Calidore
Road Kill

PostPost #3  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

oh right, yes, that would seem to fit qute well.

Calidore
Dan
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #4  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've never seen anyone else come up with my theory before. others have said it's about the St. Valentines Day Massacre (Al Capone shooting and killing a bunch of people in the 1920's), and other wilder explanations, but mine seems to fit quite well although I don't know where the valentine part fits into it.
The Green Lantern
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #5  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Andy said once that it's about how the royal wedding was used to offset peoples reactions towards the Falkland war. On the one hand you have these two people getting married, on the other you have the english going fighting the argentinians thousands of miles away from home.
_emma_
Overbomber

PostPost #6  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Green Lantern wrote:
Andy said once that it's about how the royal wedding was used to offset peoples reactions towards the Falkland war.

Indeed. Very Happy
Hello Calidore. Very Happy
Not that I know what Valentine is about (apart from the quote above), but perhaps this thread would fit better in the lyrics section? Confused
culprit
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #7  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Not that I know what Valentine is about (apart from the quote above), but perhaps this thread would fit better in the lyrics section?

I can almost see it winging its way now..... Smile
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

PostPost #8  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It wasn't me...
the cake is a lie
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

PostPost #9  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

at risk of seeming predictable Wink
the cake is a lie
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

PostPost #10  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: What is "Valentine" about? Reply with quote Back to top

Calidore wrote:
Hello everyone. Nice to see a sisterhood in existence.

Is "Valentine" about the bombing of Dresden which happened on Valentine's day 1945? or is it about the pop culture?

hello Our fearless leader!

i'd never thought about the dresden angle.... i've always assumed it was about pop culture, as you suggest. drug additiction, the obsession with the media (the revolution will be televised!), the dearth of humanity, and the general s**t state society was in when the sonmg was written (and still is... in fact now its even worse!) - thatcherite britain, greed is good, mass unemployment, etc etc etc.
the cake is a lie
Barracuda
Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #11  Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I always saw it as the inevitability of love and war.
"waiting for another war and waiting for my valentine".
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

PostPost #12  Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers for all these explanations... We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy!

To me the "waiting for my valentine" part always had something of "the world is going to pieces and what am I doing? - Sitting at home waiting for my valentine card". The "I" not being Eldritch but rather the common man/woman "from the street" who watches the news on his/her tv, but all he/she really cares about is the nonsense of his/her mediocre little life.

Besides, I seem to recall having heard/read something somewhere saying that Valentine could also be referring to the Kennedy assassination, the couple being Jackie and John F. It seems a bit far-fetched for me as the murder was in 1963, but who knows....

Eva.
Begemot
Road Kill

PostPost #13  Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Green Lantern wrote:
Andy said once that it's about how the royal wedding was used to offset peoples reactions towards the Falkland war. On the one hand you have these two people getting married, on the other you have the english going fighting the argentinians thousands of miles away from home.

But didn't the Royal Wedding take place in 1981, and the Falklands war in 1982?
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #14  Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just a note, for those who might not be aware of this: a lot of Valentine is from Eliot, Sweeney Erect:

Tests the razor on his leg
Waiting until the shriek subsides.
The epileptic on the bed
Curves backward, clutching at her sides.

Now, in Eliot's poem Sweeney is of course the killer; in Valentine, the suggestion is rather of a suicide; all of it, regardless, links to the "people eat each other". Part of me wonders whether Eldritch had Ian Curtis (an epileptic) in mind, although Curtis hanged himself so I guess not. But I do think that because the "razor smiles" the implication is suicide, rather than a death at the hands of another (such as in the 'beheaded criminal' case).

At any rate, I think that the "waiting for another war" can be taken quite literally: in an environment in which people are shuffling up to the dole queue with nothing much to live for, having a war to fight might seem quite a good thing. And perhaps he just wanted everyone bombed: his songs around this time are not the most cheery of things, nor the most favourable in their assessments of those around him.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

PostPost #15  Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

completely off-topic (except for the word "valentine")but...
the very first time i heard anything by the sisters(temple of love)was on valentines day 1985,which has been a great comfort every year since when at least half of them i've spent single-february 13th seems to be my lucky day for being dumped...yes iknow i'm rambling but the green lantern said what i was gonna say!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Heartland Forum Index -> Lyrics All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: