Robochrist in the Grauniad...

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Gottdammerung
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Yup.. in a feature about one man bands... :lol:

I'll get the section on him transcribed when I get home today and post it...
You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

Hunter S. Thompson
mik
Chameleons Guru

clicky thing type thanglet
The Grauniad wrote:Not so for "one-man psycho industrial pop cheese techno sample racket" Robochrist, from Leeds, who performs while painted silver and wearing a skintight black bodysuit. He shuns solitude in favour of a sort of two-man support group. Last month he and Napoleon III - a quadraphonic soundscape combining the whimsy of the Flaming Lips with the strangeness of Aphex Twin - were double headliners at Fibber's in York.

Robochrist has songs called things like Mindfuckhellcult and Ghosttrainnosebleed and cites influences as diverse as Sepultura, Pato Banton and the Bee Gees. "I like the aesthetics of having just one bloke on stage," he says from the tiny backstage area (which would feel like a rush-hour tube train with a full band and their kit in it). "People are so used to seeing four skinny white blokes - and then you've got a six-foot bloke painted silver, with a mohawk, doing techno death metal, featuring the theme tune from Grange Hill. Whether you love it or hate it, you'll remember it."
Something pithy.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

"I like the aesthetics of having just one bloke on stage"

:innocent: :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
ruffers
Overbomber

I've never heard anything by this fellah but he appears to be a complete tool. As for having him involved in the Sisters I may be a nostalgic old fool but TSOM is a thing of style, an aura, an impression, as well as the industrial groove machine of course. There's no place for attention seeking wannabees dressed as the Tin Man.

Just my opinion of course.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
hodgo
Road Kill

ruffers wrote:I've never heard anything by this fellah but he appears to be a complete tool. As for having him involved in the Sisters I may be a nostalgic old fool but TSOM is a thing of style, an aura, an impression, as well as the industrial groove machine of course. There's no place for attention seeking wannabees dressed as the Tin Man.

Just my opinion of course.
If it is true that he is doing it which i am starting to think it is not, Chris's robochrist thing is just something not to be taken seriously, he told me once he hopes people don't see him as just that because he does lots of other music as well, Robochrist is just a joke thing i think. like i said on another thread i don't know him really well but I know him well enough and have seen him enoguh times in different bands to know he'd be good for the job

I am going to try get his word on it all to see if it is actaully true.
ruffers
Overbomber

Now that sounds better.....

No Tin Man stuff? Let him in ;D
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
twp
Amphetamine Filth

I am quite taken by the downloads on his site.

I am not sure on the sisters policy for accepting attention seeking wannabees. I would imagine, from past incumbants over the years, it would be quite positive.
Gottdammerung

Gottdammerung wrote:Yup.. in a feature about one man bands... :lol:

I'll get the section on him transcribed when I get home today and post it...
Meh... flaming dying with the cold... so cheers Mik for posting the link..

When will I learn????
You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

Hunter S. Thompson
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i think he's purely a hired hand - just there to fill in the gap for a few summer dates while von gets some cash together (for what? who knows!)

nonetheless, i think he will add a bit of dynamics to the show. i'm quite interested to see & hear it 8)

lets face it, apart from the odd stride back and forth in & out of the smoke, neither adam nor chris/mike (faceless, interchangable) added much verve to the proceedings did they? none of them contributed to the sound, the look, the vibe, the "sistersness" of it all in the same way as gary, ben or wayne... even if adam did write a few of the "new" tunes.

and as anyone here will tell you, it was hard for me to say something nice about wayne there :lol: ;D

IMHO even ben with his schoolboy looks, nhs specs and utter loathing of anything vaguely "rockist" (he hated the motorhead & zepp comparisons! he was a complete indie kid) had more input to the sisters sound of the time... :|
James Blast
Banned

does Mr. E have Steve Vai's telephone no.?
well it seems about as plausible as this RoboChap
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
twp
Amphetamine Filth

Let's hope so...I can see the next album cover being like this

AE covering Yankee Rose
James Blast
Banned

it could work for the Raspberry Reich, I can see it :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

nah, i think hodgo's got it right.

if you read his website, the robochrist thing is basically just a laugh that got out of hand - something that started out as him pi$$ing about and ended up on the stage! :lol:

and i'm pretty sure i've seen him playing guitar in huddersfield-based rock sillies "the scaramanga six" and he was actually very cool. despite the kerrrrrazy siddies ;)

incidentally, the scaras have what i think is one of the bestest album titles EVER! "the liar, the bitch and her wardrobe" :lol: genious. and they rock like motherfuckers too. think bad seeds meets divine comedy, in a slaughterhouse. on cheep speed. ace! 8) :notworthy:

seriously though, even if it is just as a live stop-gap for the summer, his complete and utter lack of reverence could be just the kick up the arse the sisters need... they have been lacking in fire and passion somewhat, of late, have they not? :?:

have i said already that i'm keen on the idea? :lol: and i'm not one to do "zany" or "whacky" musicians litely... :!:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Quiff Boy wrote: apart from the odd stride back and forth in & out of the smoke, neither adam nor chris/mike (faceless, interchangable) added much verve to the proceedings did they? none of them contributed to the sound, the look
Can't agree with that QB. Snub Nose (or whatever?) is a blinding track, as 'Sisters' as anything else they do or have done, while Von takes a fag-break. Never saw the original line-up so I can't comment on them, but Adam for sure was pure Sisters on stage. And I'll miss him.

But I certainly agree with giving the new geezer a chance. C'mon people, some folk on here seem to be doing a 'Time Out' and slagging the band before they've even played any shows. Oh dear. :roll:

And personally, I wanna see the new boy on stage with the girls in FULL Robochrist regalia. :twisted: :von:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Black Shuck
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

Quiff Boy wrote:
...neither adam nor chris/mike (faceless, interchangable) added much verve to the proceedings did they?
It's funny you should say that, QB, since I have a long-held theory that Chris, Mike and Adam are actually robots that Von programmed himself using components from an old Amiga.
Gazza for England manager
Jim
Slight Overbomber

Wtf? Chris Catalyst is in the Sisters? Wheres it say this?
Quiff Boy wrote:i think he's purely a hired hand - just there to fill in the gap for a few summer dates while von gets some cash together (for what? who knows!)

nonetheless, i think he will add a bit of dynamics to the show. i'm quite interested to see & hear it 8)

lets face it, apart from the odd stride back and forth in & out of the smoke, neither adam nor chris/mike (faceless, interchangable) added much verve to the proceedings did they? none of them contributed to the sound, the look, the vibe, the "sistersness" of it all in the same way as gary, ben or wayne... even if adam did write a few of the "new" tunes.

and as anyone here will tell you, it was hard for me to say something nice about wayne there :lol: ;D

IMHO even ben with his schoolboy looks, nhs specs and utter loathing of anything vaguely "rockist" (he hated the motorhead & zepp comparisons! he was a complete indie kid) had more input to the sisters sound of the time... :|
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
hallucienate
Overbomber

most reliable source is here:
http://gps.tsom.org/news.html
Jim
Slight Overbomber

Right. That's crazy. Great guy though, and a fine guitarist - jealous as f**k though.
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Downloaded the songs on the robochrist site yesterday, and gave them a listen...

Had a great laugh with them (especially the ghosttrainnosebleed-thing), so isn't his style of humour way to obvious for von :lol:?
Since he said most of his songs are terribly funny... Well, maybe now we'll be getting the joke :lol: :lol: :lol:
James Blast
Banned

not a bad point or two ObviousmanImage

:D
~ Peter Steele
canon docre
Overbomber

hallucienate wrote:most reliable source is here:
http://gps.tsom.org/news.html
Am I the only IT-challenged here? The latest news visible for me on that page talks about a well-meant, but utterly pointless St. Pauli benefit?
James Blast
Banned

I can read
wrote:6 April 2005. There are rumours that the Sisters will be returning to a stage not-very-near you this summer. Andrius will have the latest info, but you won't find it on the Sisters' web site. Why? We hear Eldritch - having a "senior" moment - has forgotten the web site password. So no official conformation any time soon.

The hot gossip out of Leeds 6 is that there will be a change to the band's line-up on this tour, with RoboChrist doing something or other. Whether this means that either Adam or Chris have called it a day is unclear.

ps. RIP Saul Bellow.
~ Peter Steele
canon docre
Overbomber

:eek: Puzzling! :eek: :eek: :eek:
My lappi must orbit into long bygone spheres??

But thanks to catapult me back to the present, Blast. :notworthy:
James Blast
Banned

nae probs :D
~ Peter Steele