Heartland Forum Index
       FAQ      Rules      Search      Paypal Donation      Photo Gallery      Sisters Wiki   
   Register · Profile · Log in to check your private messages · View New Posts · Usergroups · Memberlist · Statistics  
   Follow us on   Twitter    Facebook · Log in  
Driven Like The Snow
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Si
School Bully

PostPost #51  Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Black Planet wrote:
MrChris wrote:
That's right. Even the legendary Dolly Parton has had to put up with being covered by some really awful bands. And the Sisters.

Ever heard Andrew warbling Jolene? Good god it's awful!

And that's coming from me.... Surprised Surprised

But which version?

Jansen radio session (1983) or one of the many live versions? Wink Very Happy

"oh!!! PISH!" - RIP, Jam~es Blaast 1958-2016
RIP Molly "The Mum" Gallagher 1921-2018

mybelgiannemesis
Big Si
School Bully

PostPost #52  Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MrChris wrote:
I actually quite like it. Okay, he does warble, but there was a time in the early 1990s when he was murdering quite a few covers, and in that context Jolene stands out as one of the better ones, I thought. I like the sexual politics too. But okay, I wouldn't put it in their top five covers.

Having said that, I'd better back it up - my favourites today are:
Gimme Shelter,
Knocking on Heavens Door,
Comfortably Numb,
Gimme Gimme Gimme,
and Ghostrider.

But you forgot about Emma! We are not worthy!

mybelgiannemesis
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #53  Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was thinking live, but the Jansen version has a certain something...

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
ryan
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #54  Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

do still play jolene live still?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

PostPost #55  Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Big Si wrote:
MrChris wrote:
I actually quite like it. Okay, he does warble, but there was a time in the early 1990s when he was murdering quite a few covers, and in that context Jolene stands out as one of the better ones, I thought. I like the sexual politics too. But okay, I wouldn't put it in their top five covers.

Gimme Shelter,
Comfortably Numb,
Gimme Gimme Gimme,
and Ghostrider.

early incarnations of emma (circa 83) before they bothered to create a proper drum part for it were also pretty cool Smile
the cake is a lie

Last edited by Quiff Boy on Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #56  Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

God, Emma, I knew there was one! That's the danger of thinking off the top of your head...Okay, Emma displaces Gimme Gimme Gimme. Which makes a certain thought occur to me - apart from Comfortably Numb, do most of the really good Sisters covers come from the pre-FALAA period?

Big Si
School Bully

PostPost #57  Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quiff Boy wrote:
Big Si wrote:
MrChris wrote:

Gimme Shelter,
Comfortably Numb,
Gimme Gimme Gimme,
and Ghostrider.

early incarnations of emma (circa 83) before they bothered to create a proper drum part for each were also pretty cool Smile

Berlin Loft Club version is very Fonzy ( Cool ) but not everybody has it Wink

mybelgiannemesis
ryan

PostPost #58  Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Big Si wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:
Big Si wrote:
MrChris wrote:

Gimme Shelter,
Comfortably Numb,
Gimme Gimme Gimme,
and Ghostrider.

early incarnations of emma (circa 83) before they bothered to create a proper drum part for each were also pretty cool Smile

then these certain Wink people Wink should share it Wink
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

PostPost #59  Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i think they spent more time on them way back when... most of the covers these days seem to be "knocked together in a few minutes" as they say Wink

they dont seem to bother changing them much from teh original, and take them very literally. hence they change them all the time mid-tour - they dont have the time and effort spent on them and thus their longevity in the set is reduced. Sad

having said that, the numb/skos medley is superb! We are not worthy!
the cake is a lie
ryan

PostPost #60  Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yes, those two songs fit perfectly
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #61  Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

They do indeed. I think we should put On the Wire / Teachers / On the Wire in this category, too. I didn't think it would work, but on the right night, it really really does.

Big Si
School Bully

PostPost #62  Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ryan_w_0000 wrote:
Big Si wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:
Big Si wrote:
MrChris wrote:

Gimme Shelter,
Comfortably Numb,
Gimme Gimme Gimme,
and Ghostrider.

then these certain Wink people Wink should share it Wink

Once I get a CDr ( Rolling Eyes ) I'll do some weeding! Wink

mybelgiannemesis
hallucienate
Overbomber

PostPost #63  Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Black Planet wrote:
MrChris wrote:
That's right. Even the legendary Dolly Parton has had to put up with being covered by some really awful bands. And the Sisters.

Ever heard Andrew warbling Jolene? Good god it's awful!

And that's coming from me.... Surprised Surprised

IMHO the radio session version kicks butt!
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

PostPost #64  Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My version of Jolene is a live one, but I have no idea when/where as I downloaded it from someone. It's Andrew at his worst.

Here's a few more smarmy ones I've got:

Dance On Glass....with Wayne on vocals, playing guitar, but the tune is...Black Planet!!! Dance on Glass Saints and Martyrs...it goes .... different lyrics than what he put out on Gods Own Medicine.

Garden of Delight...Now that's Andrew.

I find it amusing, Andrew singing Take my Hand and lead me to the garden of delight. It's almost sickening. Wayne warbling backing vocals, and his guitar.

Again I have no idea when/where these were done, I got them off downloading.
hallucienate
Overbomber

PostPost #65  Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You've probably got a post 1990 version on Jolene, which doesn't match up to the radio session version. There are definitely some kick arse versions of Jolene floating around though
Big Si
School Bully

PostPost #66  Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Black Planet wrote:
My version of Jolene is a live one, but I have no idea when/where as I downloaded it from someone. It's Andrew at his worst.

Here's a few more smarmy ones I've got:

Dance On Glass....with Wayne on vocals, playing guitar, but the tune is...Black Planet!!! Dance on Glass Saints and Martyrs...it goes .... different lyrics than what he put out on Gods Own Medicine.

Garden of Delight...Now that's Andrew.

I find it amusing, Andrew singing Take my Hand and lead me to the garden of delight. It's almost sickening. Wayne warbling backing vocals, and his guitar.

Again I have no idea when/where these were done, I got them off downloading.

Victims of Circumstance bootleg - allegedly from a tape made by Mr Marx for a friend. Basically the 1984 demos for FALAA. You can get them from michaels (Jansenclone We are not worthy! ) yahoo groups!

mybelgiannemesis
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

PostPost #67  Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Big Si wrote:

Victims of Circumstance bootleg - allegedly from a tape made by Mr Marx for a friend. Basically the 1984 demos for FALAA. You can get them from michaels (Jansenclone We are not worthy! ) yahoo groups!

Well if FALAA had those tracks on it...what a disaster! I can understand Why Von didn't want to use "certain" lyrics! Not him at all.....
Big Si
School Bully

PostPost #68  Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Black Planet wrote:
Big Si wrote:

Well if FALAA had those tracks on it...what a disaster! I can understand Why Von didn't want to use "certain" lyrics! Not him at all.....

Well FALAA was basically Wayne side A and Gary side B, with Lyrics by Andrew. Those tracks are great in a novelty kind of way. Have you heard the Disco mix of A Rock and a Hard Place? It rocks a fat one! Our fearless leader!

mybelgiannemesis
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #69  Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I got all of those tracks on a tape on Northampton market about twelve years ago, called Rarities Volume 2. A very well spent four quid, if I remember. Anyway, persevere, Black Planet, there are definitely versions of Jolene that do not corrode your eardrums.

Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

PostPost #70  Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MrChris wrote:
I got all of those tracks on a tape on Northampton market about twelve years ago, called Rarities Volume 2. A very well spent four quid, if I remember. Anyway, persevere, Black Planet, there are definitely versions of Jolene that do not corrode your eardrums.

I still owe you another boot..I will include this horrible rendition of Jolene so you can judge for yourself! Wierded Out Wierded Out
pikkrong
Overbomber

PostPost #71  Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sisters version of "Jolene" (at least most of them i've heard) is (are) ACE We are not worthy!
mayhem
Glam Rock Throwback

PostPost #72  Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

& don't forget confide in me. Fab.

M
nodubmanshouts

PostPost #73  Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Re: Claire (sorry, going back a few pages here)

She looked (at least when I "kind of" knew her) like Debbie Harry. In fact... amazingly like Debbie Harry... She used to DJ around town alot in Leeds in the 90s, as well as doing Salvation's sound. Always known simply as "Claire".
James Blast
Banned

PostPost #74  Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

IMO Comfortably Numb was fecked up by Mr. E, leave it to Big Dave and his hired hands.

sorry
Blast Razz
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #75  Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

pikkrong wrote:
Sisters version of "Jolene" (at least most of them i've heard) is (are) ACE We are not worthy!

heh, you haven't heard the Speed Kings version from Drogheda 1990 then. Glad that band haven't been heard of since. They were terrible Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Heartland Forum Index -> Lyrics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: